How long will I be in hospital?

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi everyone,

I'm new to the group. Hope you're all ok.

i am going to have an abdominal hysterectomy on 5th feb.

how long will I be in hospital? I'm 36 years old.

thanks xxx

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Vicky

My name is Teresa and I am also new to this site.I am going to have a abdominal hysterectomy on April 7th and I have been told that I will be in for about 3 or 4 days.

I have a book about a recovery plan and there are several things listed like a daily program that you have have to tick off when you have done it.I think the sooner you can walk and depending on the pain  and complications you could be out quicker.

• Posted

Hiya my lovely,

thanks for info. I was told 2 days, but I think that's for a vaginal hysterectomy? I was sent a book with do's and donts and I'm well prepared. 

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

2 days would be a nice thought but I think it will be longer. Can I advise you to read the book called 101 handy hints to to happy Hysterectomy.it has helped me a lot.I have already started to buy the little extras like the peppermint tea and the constipation tablets.It is surprising what you learn

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Hi Vicky I am also going in on 5th Feb for my total abdominal. They told me at the pre op that I may be out on Sunday but no guarantee.  Good luck with yours xxx
    • Posted

Hi Shelley,

thanks for replying.

i can't wait to get it done and get my life back.

Will miss my babies though, but they'll be in good hands with their daddy 😆 xx

good luck to you xxx

• Posted

Hi Vicky, I'm in for my TAH tomorrow! rolleyes (Thurs 29th Jan) and have been told that if all goes well I should be home by Saturday xx
    • Posted

Wow, it sounds so quick.

I was in for 5 days with my cesarean sections!!!

good luck chick x

• Posted

How long have you been told that the recovery time should be and do you work at the moment?
    • Posted

They said 8 weeks recovery. I'm a housewife and mammy. Xx
    • Posted

Yes LOL I think I was in longer with my C Section too!! But not going to complain about being let out for good behaviour! x
    • Posted

Recovery time minimum of 6 weeks and could possibly return to work after 8 BUT only if I am offered a phased return to light duties...I have a physical job looking after special needs adults so lots of pushing of heavy wheelchairs, bending, stretching etc, so my pre op nurse was very firm that I am not to return to that before at the very least 3 months and light duties would be office work x
    • Posted

Take it easy doll. I wonder if they offer manicures lol x
    • Posted

Hi, I had both ovaries out in November and recovery schedule was similar to hysterectomy, I was told to think of first 3 weeks as ' extended hospital time'. No lifting anything heavier than a bag of sugar for 3 weeks (watch out for things like bottles of milk.. Even a 2 pint bottle pulled!). Not being able to drive for 5 weeks was also interesting! Good luck with surgery, wishing you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you.

how long were you in for? X

• Posted

Only overnight. Surgery mid morning, home 4pm the following day
    • Posted

Thinking of you today Luckymum hope all went well.

Phoebe xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.