How long will I be in hospital?

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi everyone,

I'm new to the group. Hope you're all ok.

i am going to have an abdominal hysterectomy on 5th feb.

how long will I be in hospital? I'm 36 years old.

thanks xxx

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Vicky

I've just recently had two operations very close together.  The first was removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes (together with a large cyst) done keyhole.  I was in hospital overnight and went home the next day.  The second op, which completed the hysterectomy, but was also done keyhole, was done 19 days ago.  I was in for 3 nights that time because they had a bit more to do.  Plus I didn't get up to the ward until 1.00am in the morning becasue it was a Friday and there were no porters.  So really only two nights and two days.  I went home at 4pm on the Monday.

Are you having keyhole do you know or is it definitely abdominal?

xx Kathy

• Posted

WELCOME VICKY!!!!!!!!

WELL... YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE GIRLFRIEND smile

I HAD THE ABDOMINAL 11 WEEKS AGO THIS PAST MONDAY... 22 STAPLES DOWN THE BELLY!  MY BELLY WAS THE BEST PART ON ME sad  OH WELL... SOMEONE AT WORK TOLD ME TO "EMBRACE YOUR SCARS".. "BE PROUD OF THEM".. I FEEL IT EVERY NIGHT (USING THE VITAMIN E NOW).. I'M OK WITH IT.. I AM.. ITS PART OF ME!

I HAD THE OP 7:00 A.M. ON A MONDAY, WAS IN ALL DAY MON, ALL DAY TUES, AND OUT BY NOON WEDNESDAY.

I THINK WE ARE A LIL' DIFFERENT HERE IN THE USA... WE KINDA DO THEM AND "MOVE OUT"...

I WISH I COULD HAVE STAYED LONGER..I  WAS A BAAAAAAAAAAAAD GIRL COMING HOME!  UP VACCUMING 2ND DAY, COOKING AND CLEANING sad

YEAH... AND I WILL TELL YOU.. I SPLIT MYSELF IN 2 AREAS... THEY HAD TO "RESEAL" ME sad

SOOOOOOOOO... DO NOT TAKE AFTER ME, BE A GOOOOOOOOOOOOD GIRL!

I AM 52, AND I HOPE TO GET TO BE ME AGAIN SOON!  STILL CAN'T EXCERCISE OR TEACH MY PART TIME DANCE CLASS sad

BUT I AM WAITING PATIENTLY!

I KNOW YOU WILL BE JUST FINE!  LISTEN TO THE DOCS!

OH... ASK FOR "PEPPERMINT" TEA IN THE HOSPITAL... IT IS PERFECT TO STOP THE GAS ISSUES!  I ALSO DRANK IT WHEN I CAME HOME.. NEVER HAD THE GAS PAINS, WHICH I HEARD CAN BE BAAAAAAD sad

GOOD LUCK VICKY!  KEEP US ALL POSTED!!!!

PEACE & HUGS FROM THE USA!

• Posted

Hi Vicky

I've been told on my pre op i will be in for a minimum of 24 hours and as long as no complcations and i'm walking okay i will be released on the 25th hour.

• Posted

i am also new having total abdominal  hysterectomy. I have pre op been told 2 days. had date 07 Jan but failed MRSA test i've been on treatment for it nowwaiting for a new date 
    • Posted

Must be nerve-racking Judy...

I found the delays, the waiting just adds to it..

Hope you get the date, and get the ball rolling so to speak!

Keep us posted here!  smile

• Posted

Hi to you to, I was 37 yrs old when I had my TAH Had all taken out due to very bad Endometriosis, I was in the Hospital for 10 days because I had Low blood pressure after the OP, and I know it's not nice to talk about but I found it hard to poo & they wouldn't let me home until I went, I really hope all goes well for you as everyone can be different as I had 38 Staples & other Ladies had only 19 so it all depends & you will not know until it's all over. Send you Big Hugs & Goodluck..Xx I will Hear from you soon.smile
    • Posted

WOW  BLUEFLOWERS!!

So young, and with issues sad

Thank you for sharing.... every one here has a different story, the real thing!  I feel for all of them!

Hope you are well now!

peace  & hugs from USA smile

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I hope you're on your road to recovery. X
    • Posted

Thank-you Mintdream..Still not good I get depressed & I have alot of other medical issue, now I have to go for a bone density scan as I can have HRT as the Endo my grow back on my other organs. This forum is great you maybe in the USA biggrin but it seems like you are only across the street.. Big Hugs from the Emerald isle.....Xx smile
    • Posted

Thanks Vickymcd, & I hope all goes well for you & you Have a Speedy recovery. Godbless..Xx
    • Posted

AWWWWWWWWWWWWE.. thanks so much Blueflowers!   smile smile  smile  That was SO  sweet of you!

I worry for you though sad

I will keep you in my prayers tonight!

And yes... I feel like you are "across the street"

Big Hugs from Connecticut... Home of the UCONN Women Basketball Champions...

We are VERY proud of our College grils bball team... they win the National Champs each year... and they return to visit President Obama and "dance" with him each year smile  smile

Blueflowers... ((((((((HUGS))))))))

• Posted

Hi everyone

i had  a full abdominal hysterectomy 9 weeks ago and I was in hospital for two days which really surprised me as I thought I would be there for longer. I couldn't wait to go home though but once I got there I felt as if I had just been left to get on with everything. It's very tempting to try to do things but make sure you don't as you don't want any complications. Please ask for peppermint water as the wind pains after are

really bad and it really helps. Make sure yu ask lots of questions when you're in hospital as I wish I had asked more. Will be thinking of you and good luck with your operation. 

Teresa

• Posted

I think it all depends on your own recovery process Vicky.  I had a full TAH on Tues 11th Nov and was allowed home on the Saturday but as I had no one at home to look after me  I had to stay in til the following morning, but the lady opposite me had her op the week before and was still in when I came home. 

when you are home take it easy esp the first few weeks and  just be careful carrying/lifting things. I just took the breakfast pots back into the kitchen and felt my tummy pull and I am just over 11 weeks post op now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.