How long with the acid rebound last?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on omeprazole for 7 days, i doctor just put me on it because she said may be i has silent reflux. I haven had any issues with my stomach or heartburn. my only issue was that i was feeling a lump in my throat but now i think this was anxiety related since i was more aware of what was happening to throat. now it is being two week since i stopped omeprazole and my stomach is burning and nausea, bloated and heratburn which i never had before. are all these symptoms of rebound acid? how long until my stomach go back to normal? any one who stopped omerprazole will like to give me advise.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you are having this issue.  I also dealt with acid rebound.  It sounds like yours is isolated to the stomach.  Which is a little easier to get over.

Interestingly. a doctor did a study on the side effects of PPi drugs.  He had a control group take a placebo for 30 days.  He had another control group take a PPi drug for 30 days.  All subjects were healthy volunteers. 

Then he abruptly had all subjects stop taking the pills.  The group that had taken the PPi drug suddenly complained of having heartburn.

He concluded that while the PPi drug can be helpful to some people, there was the danger of patients suffering from acid rebound or acid revenge.

PPi drugs stop the acid pumps in the stomach from putting out acid.  However, the chemical signal that the brain releases when a person eats builds up in the stomach lining.  When the person stops taking the drug, then all the signal is released and the acid pumps go crazy pumping out acid.  This high acid condition breaks down the protective stomach lining so the acid is felt as a burning sensation.  Recovering from this condition can take two months to a year.  It depends on how well your body heals.

The best way to deal with this is to first of all help your stomach rebuild the lining.  If you can find a low acid olive oil, it can help with creating a coating.  If it does, you can take a teaspoon every hour.  Also, you can open a vitamin E capsule and swallow the liquid.  It will coat all the way down and help heal.  Aloe vera can help some people.  I have used Marshmallow tea, it also coats.  If you can juice mild vegetables, it can help healing.  A low protein diet is best for a few weeks.  Powdered protein should be okay.

Drink lots of water. No alcohol at all.  Before bed take a regular antacid like maalox. and a vitamin E liquid.  Avoid anything that triggers more burning. 

Keep me posted to your progress or questions.  John

• Posted

Wow! So is there any point to being on PPI's in the first place if you're not on them permanently?  I'm on them temporarily to heal inflammation in my esophagus. If, when I stop, I have this rebound affect, won't that simply recreate the same inflammatory condition?  

• Posted

How long did you dealt with you acid rebound? i least to the point were it wasn't to painful. how long were you on ppi's. i was on them only 7 days and stopped due to side effects and because doctor just prescript because she though that ws my issue which i think that wasn't.

• Posted

Before they invented acid blockers, people with heartburn would take antacids all day long.  But antacids won't help all night long.  So when they came out with PPi drugs many people thought they were perfect.  Until they had side effects and tried to get off them.

The good news is that not everyone suffers through the withdrawal burning.  If you do, then you can deal with the burn using the old medications until your stomach recovers.  Gaviscon works very good.  Perhaps, you would benefit from my advice using carbonated water to strengthen the esophageal sphincter.  It is how I finally found my cure.  I no longer have acid reflux.  But, sometimes I still get a little burn in my stomach.  I only use a mild antacid to deal with it.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-i-cured-my-acid-reflux-naturally--402930?page=36&utm_source=forum,sendgrid&utm_campaign=comment-notification,Patient.info&utm_medium=email,email#3293534

• Posted

Edited:

Before they invented acid blockers, people with heartburn would take antacids all day long.  But antacids won't help all night long.  So when they came out with PPi drugs many people thought they were perfect.  Until they had side effects and tried to get off them.

The good news is that not everyone suffers through the withdrawal burning.  If you do, then you can deal with the burn using the old medications until your stomach recovers.  Perhaps, you would benefit from my advice using carbonated water to strengthen the esophageal sphincter.  It is how I finally found my cure.  I no longer have acid reflux.  But, sometimes I still get a little burn in my stomach.  I only use a mild antacid to deal with it.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-i-cured-my-acid-reflux-naturally--402930?page=36&utm_source=forum,sendgrid&utm_campaign=comment-notification,Patient.info&utm_medium=email,email#3293534

• Posted

Because I had severe stomach damage from multiple issues, it took me almost a year to get the stomach burning under control.  But, most people can get off them in 2 weeks to 2 months.  It is best to slowly taper the dosage down, while you increase your nutrition and mild supplements listed above.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I don't have a working sphincter.  I have a disease called Achalasia and after surgery my sphincter is basically open which is why acid reflux is a problem for many of us post surgery.  I've been taking Famotidine instead of PPI's up to now but my doctor thought I should temporarily take the PPI's for about a month after an endoscopy showed some inflammation.  I hope to be able to return to the Famotidine since it has fewer side effects.  I'm also hoping to find some more natural methods.  

• Posted

I just did some research on Achalasia.  I'm very sorry you have that condition.  I read the description of symptoms and it is very distressing.  I wish I had some solution, but at this point I don't.  The best I can suggest is that you juice organic vegetable with a small amount of low acid fruit like Apples.  If you go completely vegetarian your stomach will not need to put out acid.  And that will possibly improve your life.  Also, giving the body high nutrition can help it to heal itself.  Especially since they don't know the cause of this condition.  You can basically live on organic vegetable juice.  You can get some protein by adding some organic soybean powdered protein.  I also recommend liquid vitamin E capsules, as they can heal and protect the digestive system.  Make sure you get real vitamin E and not synthetic.  It must say mixed Tocopherols.  John

• Posted

Thank you for that information.  I didn't know that vegetarians bodies don't need to put out acid.  I'm fortunate in that the surgery was very successful, other that now having to deal with reflux.  I can eat normally for the time being.  I have been trying to eat a much more plant based diet since diagnosis but still eat meat, kind of a paleo thing.  I may either just eat fish and mostly vegetarian or minimize the meat at least. 

• Posted

hey how are you feeling now?

iam going through the same situation

plz reply

• Posted

hey how are you feeling now?

iam going through the same situation

plz reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.