How many COPD sufferers still work?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just had a diagnosis of COPD and thanks to those who responded to earlier post. 

I'm worried that I won't be able to work.  Am on my own so no spouse salary and have mortgage etc.  Expect this is a common scenario but would be interested to know how many folk still work and how easy they find this.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maureen

I still work full time however there are times I struggle with tiredness.

Under the Equality Act 2010 your employer has to alter your working conditions to suit your disability. It was known as the Disabilty Act but in 2010 they put a number of acts together to form the Equality Act 2010. 

I have changed the time I start work as it now takes me 2 hours to pull my self together in a morning. 

You will be eligible for PIP payments if you live in the UK. You are still eligible to work and claim this benefit.

I guess you can only work to a point when you cant physically do the job any more. I am almost at that point but try to push myself.

How long do you have left to work till you retire Maureen. In other words how old ar you, ( Please dont be offended )

I was diagonised about 10 years aago and still working.

Hope this thread helps you.

• Posted

Hi there.  Thanks for your reply.  I'm 55 so have a fair while to go before retirement and I need the money.  Working full time too and think I am already struggling with tiredness mid-afternoon.  That's good to know about PIP - will look into that.  Thread is really good, wish I'd found it sooner.  Seems there are loads of us out there.
  • Posted

Hi Maureen, I have moderate copd, lung function 60% worked full time until retiring aged 66 this year. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi maureen

Please don't worry.

People with COPD can work a very long time, depending on what they do.

For instance, a secretary will probably have no difficulty whilst a fireman probably will.

It also depends on you and whether you can continue to work in your currant position. Having COPD isn't a death sentence, please please do not worry. Enjoy your life and have a Merry Christmas.

All the best

Kev  (UK)  lol

• Posted

Kev, you're a star. Your post has made my day!  Hope your Christmas is very merry indeed.  

Maureen

• Posted

I had to give up working full time and now only work part time I find it so hard to work with the COPD ........But I know other people who work full time and find it very easy
  • Posted

That will depend on a number of factors:  your lung capacity, whether you stop smoking, medication, lung rehab for the appropriate exercises and the type of work you do.

I've kept my lung capacity at 70% since diagnosis more than 3 years ago and I'd smoked for most of my adult life.  I went to rehab and do the exercises plus walking most days.    

If your work isn't affected now and it's not heavy  manual work you should be able to keep doing it for a long time yet if you inform yourself and take responsibility for managing your condition.

I can still split firewood and stack it, garden, do my own shopping and so on, it just takes me longer and I have to have regular rest breaks.

COPD isn't fun, but I got through the difficult early stages by reminding myself that it could've been a LOT worse given it was self-inflicted anyway:  eg lung cancer often isn't diagnosed until its late stages resulting in a very short life expectancy:  my then gp told me she'd been to a funeral of a patient who'd died in her 80's more than 20 years after being diagnosed with COPD

Good luick and if you don't already do so, take care of yourself

• Posted

Thanks Jude.  Being new to this it's good to get some real life experiences. Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

Hi maureen, most people with COPD are able to work, as long as it is not strenuous.  Like Jude said, it also depends on your lung capacity and if you quit smoking.  Hopefully, whatever type of job you may have, they are aware of your health and are understanding.  

Believe in yourself that you can manage this darn COPD as I'm sure everyone here on the forums believe in each other.  I myself do not have COPD, but my mom was diagnosed with borderline COPD.  

Have a merry xmas and please take care of yourself. smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  This forum has been more help in a few hours than my GP!  Enjoy the Christmas break.  Maureen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.