How often should I do the half-somersault manoeuvre?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Someone posted about this manoeuvre on here a week or so ago, but I can't find the post now. I think whoever it was also mentioned how often you should do it, and how long you need to continue. I'd be very grateful if you'd post again.

As I'm suffering from BPPV - not for the first time - and was made thoroughly ill by the Epley manoeuvre when it was performed on me nearly 30 years ago, I thought I'd try the half-somersault manoeuvre while waiting for my physio appointment next week. I admit it took me a long time to psych myself up to try it, as I'm in my 70s, live alone and didn't want to make the vertigo worse again.

Anyway, I studied the recommended video and did the manoeuvre five times at 15-minute intervals, as suggested.

At the end of that time, I was suffering mild instability and "sea-sickness" but nothing approaching my post-Epley state. I've just done the Dix-Hallpike test now, and have found - somewhat to my surprise - that although it provoked an attack of spinning, it was slower and briefer than it's been to date. I therefore suspect I might be onto something.

The inventor of the manoeuvre suggests in the video that the vertigo should disappear instantly, but that certainly hasn't happened in my case. Other sites hint that it should be repeated over a longer period, but don't give any clear instructions.

Please could that helpful poster tell me how often I should do it, and how long I should keep it up in the hope of a full recovery? And thanks a million for your original post!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just google Half Somersault video.  It should come right up.  I can't share it here.

• Posted

I'm sorry, I meant to type 'I know you CAN'T post it here' so I thought you could privately message me.  But, I typed in half somersault and 'half somersault maneuver-official site' came up, so that must be it?  Thank you.

• Posted

Hi, this is merely a message of support and encouragement. I do hope this works for you and that you recover soon. Believe me, it does pass. Take care. Marley
    • Posted

Let me know if this is it. If not I can private message you the link.
    • Posted

Thank you.  If its the official one by a Dr. C. F. (don't know if I can reference a name??) then its the right one.  I will give it a try.  Thanks, again.

• Posted

Hello, I have found this discussion very helpful. I have suffered frequent spells of light headedness for several years, but twice recently, dizziness has woke me up 😣 this happened last night and i did the half somersault maneuver 2 times and it worked!!!! I didn't realize you had to stay upright though and I laid down.. Im still feeling ok this morning. So should i do the manuver again and stay upright?? I'm so thankful to find this thread, it gives me hope.. Dizziness is so anxiety producing for me.. Im 43 and i feel like this has reduced my quality of life over the years.. I've been to ent a few years ago.. they found nothing, just ran me through a balance test that was terrible, horrible, made me dizzy !!! Ive been to gp and I tell my gyno about it.. no help.. going to a naturepath next month.. Thanks again. I hope you all are doing well now.

• Posted

Hi, I can so appreciate the anxiety producing comment as well as the impact on your quality of life. It's almost debilitating! But yes, the half somersault is indeed the most useful tool I've found to alleviate the symptoms. And I too have had loads of doctor visits and they come up with nothing. I'd say to only do the maneuver as often as you need to! Good luck and all good wishes! ... Marley

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it just helps to know we're not alone.. I'm just really shocked how well the manuever worked!! Feeling hopeful smile

• Edited

This post has helped me alot... im 31 and the past 8 years ive had numerous bout of bppv and the epley work up until yesturday when i looked up and landed on the grass... i have done the half somersault twice now and im waiting 15 minutes until i try it for a third time then i hope to be free from this disabling and debilitating menace thats caused me to almost lose my job. I hope things are fine with u all but i thought i would pass on my progress as hopefully i can get on with family life now.
  • Posted

Hi Lily. Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I also do the Epley and they say you can do it up to 10 times but it usually only takes me for. However I do space mine 30 minutes apart instead of 15 minutes. My husband also has this and he's usually okay after just two maneuvers.

• Posted

Hello all! I was away from internet access for a couple of days and was glad to see this discussion is ongoing ... because it is especially useful at those times when you feel like this horrible "thing" with which we are all afflicted is never going to go away!

Lily, I do hope you're feeling better. I space my half somersault maneuvers by 30 minutes and although it doesn't completely go away, I follow the directives to keep my head straight, drink from a straw etc for the next day or so.

And I hope everyone else is feeling well! Hang in there if you're not ... THIS TOO SHALL PASS! smile

Regards,

Marley

• Posted

Hi everyone, 

I am 46 and had my first episode of bppv about 4 days ago. I tried the half-somersault yesterday and went to bed...not realizing I had to stay upright for 48 hours. But I am still feeling better today. If I unfortunately have vertigo again, I will stay upright for 48 hours, as I understand the logic behind it.

I have 2 questions, if somebody can help in guiding me. First, should I be doing the half-somersault regularly even if I don't have symptoms of bppv to make sure that there is no future calcium build up? Second, why do you need to drink from a straw after this maneuver?

Thank you for sharing your experiences and any help that you can provide!

Tina

• Posted

Hello Tina, I'm sorry to hear you've been afflicted with this awful condition and I do hope you feel better soon. As for your questions: I too have wondered whether or not to be proactive and do it as a preventative measure. It's a good question that I'd like to know the answer to as well; and using a straw helps to eliminate the chances of tipping the head back. From what I understand, keeping the head upright and straight is important to ensuring the crystals don't relocate where they can cause issues.

Hope this helps and if anyone has an answer to Tina's question regarding doing this when not afflicted, it would be great to learn!

PS: Although I've not had an attack in a few months, I remain ever grateful for this forum ... I'm not one who is frequently online, but this is one place that has certainly helped to alleviate the awful fear that comes with bppv.

• Posted

Thank you so much Marley for your response! I really appreciate it. I'm doing some more research and will see if I can figure out the preventive question. Thank you! Tina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.