How often should I do the half-somersault manoeuvre?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Someone posted about this manoeuvre on here a week or so ago, but I can't find the post now. I think whoever it was also mentioned how often you should do it, and how long you need to continue. I'd be very grateful if you'd post again.

As I'm suffering from BPPV - not for the first time - and was made thoroughly ill by the Epley manoeuvre when it was performed on me nearly 30 years ago, I thought I'd try the half-somersault manoeuvre while waiting for my physio appointment next week. I admit it took me a long time to psych myself up to try it, as I'm in my 70s, live alone and didn't want to make the vertigo worse again.

Anyway, I studied the recommended video and did the manoeuvre five times at 15-minute intervals, as suggested.

At the end of that time, I was suffering mild instability and "sea-sickness" but nothing approaching my post-Epley state. I've just done the Dix-Hallpike test now, and have found - somewhat to my surprise - that although it provoked an attack of spinning, it was slower and briefer than it's been to date. I therefore suspect I might be onto something.

The inventor of the manoeuvre suggests in the video that the vertigo should disappear instantly, but that certainly hasn't happened in my case. Other sites hint that it should be repeated over a longer period, but don't give any clear instructions.

Please could that helpful poster tell me how often I should do it, and how long I should keep it up in the hope of a full recovery? And thanks a million for your original post!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I 'm new and so glad to receive this info! I have been searching for years to relieve this suffering of vertigo.

However, I didn't know some of the other info that goes along with the newfound info that came to me. I didn't know all of the details that the video taught me on The Foster Maneuver. About how many times to do it and how far apart to do them. Also, I did not know the crystals could go into the wrong place in the canal! That's frightening. My doctor did not tell me this. I will stay tuned to this forum for future help.

Thank you everyone for current info. I truly appreciate it! I have been checking back and forth on Google for years for this moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.