them to take the plunge. I have a relative whose hip

lasted over 25 years, and that is from the beginning

of hip replacements. Now I think then can last even

longer.

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My surgeon said 20years, I am 61 so thats a good wee while.  It would be interesting to learn what actually happens IRL so I will watch with interest smile

thanks cathie.

• Posted

Consultants are very conservative in their

estimates..they must practise that enigmatic

look they give you when they reply. Bet you

can add 5 more years on!

• Posted

Even better I will probably br past caring by that time.  Now just need to get through Monday wink 
  • Posted

My first is currently 15 years with older technology!
  • Posted

Thanks for bringing this subject up Cathie, indeed it is a very real worry for lots of people with potentially 8 hip replacements in one lifetime (working with their advertised longevity) or more. I am not even sure the body could tolerate such a thing. It does definitely cause anixety at the prospect. It will be interesting to follow your thread and read the replies....I would definitely be happy wit 25 years as a starting point!!! 
  • Posted

My surgeon told me that my new hip should last 20 to 30 years. The ball is ceramic with a titanium stalk and the socket lining some type of plastic. So I'm thinking it will probably see me out! 😀
    • Posted

I dont understand why they would EVER stop working? Would love to know the answer. Surely something made of titanium will last forever!
    • Posted

I have the same as you Shortz, My surgeon said I would probably need a revision and just the plastic cap would be replaced.......
    • Posted

My first as said earlier is at 15 years and plastic cup (it was metal with plastic liner) has a little wear but the surgeon thinks it will last quite a while yet - and like you i would only have to have a new cup.
  • Posted

I was told, I'm 50 by the way that it depends how you use it, I love to ran so I suppose mine won't last as long but like Roses I can't see why it shouldn't last forever?
    • Posted

I would think that if you do a lot of impact sports it wouldn't last as long as surely the friction must wear away a plastic liner if you have that type. I would think though have no knowledge of any studies to say so that if you are heavier the load has to be greater so that would also have an impact.

The new hips however are often ceramic on ceramic and they are supposed to be ultra hard wearing. - I hope so because my new one is that!

• Posted

I think it is not just a question of the components wearing out, it is if they work loose over the years
    • Posted

Yes that too - there are also a lot of variables- eg cemented or not cemented and the condition and size of your bones in the first place. In the end i just went with my surgeon's recommendations which I trusted. Certainly  on both occasions I have never regretted having the op!
  • Posted

My surgeon said it will last a lifetime, for me...I am 65, I hope he meant 30/35 years, in my family we all live a very long life, my aunt died at 97 biggrin

I don't think surgeons like to give a straight answer, they are all scared of being prosecuted by patients ...this is the impression I have had.

But titanium is stronger than bones...Why should it not last forever?

Anyway...Enjoy your new hip, as long as it doesn't hurt and it works as it should...I am happy!

Ella 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.