longer.

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My hip is 22 days old smile
    • Posted

Hi Sassybees,

Just saw your hip is 22 days old !  Like it!  I walked my furthest yet today on Day 16 post-op (to the pharmacist). This afternoon I am off to visit Motherinlaw in hospital. I just hope I can hobble up the long corridors.

How are you today? Any better?

• Posted

Mine said he had a patient with a 35 year one again older tech and mats
  • Posted

Hi Cathie, my surgeon explained that, like a car's engine, parts might need replacing over time - that's where the 'life' of a replacement hip varies, but he said that its a much easier procedure to replace parts, e.g, the cup, than a total replacement.   He also said, like many of you have already explained, that it largely depends on how you use your new hip and that this shouldn't deter you as it's quite straightforward to replace bits than the original procedure.  He also said that the strength of the surrounding muscles is what will determine wear on the new hip, therefore it's best to continue physio and an other for, of exercise to build and maintain glutes and quads in particular.   

Hope me this helps? 

By by the way, I'm 55 years old and 7! Weeks post first LTHR on Monday.  

Jo xx

• Posted

I am 4 months post op and my car is 18 years old so hear is hoping. 
  • Posted

When I had mine done in May my surgeon did a cementless one. Has anybody else had one as my surgeon said this will last longer. I am 56. 
    • Posted

My 1st was cementless and is 18months old, my spring

hip. My 2nd will be cementless and is scheduled to

arrive next Monday, my autumn hip! I will see what

my 'man' says. Most hip surgeons seem to be men,

is strength needed, I wonder.

• Posted

Common in younger patients, younger patients are more likly to need a replacemt at some point if it's cemented they have to take more natural bone away when they replace. Mine is un cemented as well. But I work for a well known older people's charity most of my clients have had something removed, repaired or replaced and the rest can't remember , have there seen lots of people witj hip replacement most older ones r cemented
    • Posted

It sounded like a matter of surgeons' pride in his

job in my case, because

when I asked glue or no glue he said

'of course uncemented'. As I was77 then I presume

he must always do uncemented. I read that

uncemented took  longer for the body to bond to,

and maybe that is why he's a 'just walk' consultant.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Yes, mine is cementless. The bone grows around the new one to make a tight fit.I gather that has been better than a "glued-in one" in the experience of my surgeon. I still don't know whether mine is metal on ceramic or metal on metal. I will ask when I go for my post-op check.

• Posted

My consultant is a non cemented man whenever possible, whatever age his patient, says as the metal in the implant is slightly porous enabling the bone to grow into it, makes it firmer in the long run
    • Posted

Hi Shirley, mine is ceramic and plastic. Hope you are OK and getting better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.