How quickly can RA really come on!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Pls help me, my dr thinks I have RA following a high Rheumatoid factor reading, symptoms including swollen hand joints and awful foot pain in both feet causing limping, an urgent rheumatology referral has been made.. But over the last week only one of my shoulders has started to hurt, then today it's like my shoulder symptoms exploded! Suddenly I cannot lift my arm above my waist, majorly restricted movement. My prescribed codeine isn't touching the pain... Is this RA, can it really hit that quickly? I haven't injured my shoulder at all. Thanks

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

thats exactly how mine was. The shoulder was in agony could not put my bra on. Came overnight then a knee swelled. Voltrol suppository was the only think that gave me a bit of mobility before i saw a consultant RA now on steroids and pain free. Do hope you see someone soon 

• Posted

Yes, hayleymac, it can come on that quickly. I had a shoulder flare up this weekend myself. My Norco doesn't touch it. I finally did what my doctor recommended and took 2 of my 10mg Oxycodone's and within 45 minutes 60% of the pain was gone. It was a miracle. I've never found any medication that helps a bad flare; especially the shoulders. Now I know it's the amount of medication. 

My RA hit out of nowhere starting with my hand, then my feet. The shoulders came next, then the knees and hips. But looking back, what I remember most was my general feeling of exhaustion and malaise for a good year. I thought I was dying it freaked me out. Come to find out I have RA.

Sorry you're in so much pain. I have had to work with different pain meds to see what works best. And the flares come on, even when you're taking RA medication. It's unfortunate. Good luck to you! Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I've had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 26 I'm now 46 I can't say how it is in other people but for me it came on very quickly, almost over night, one day I was fine the next I would wake up in the morning and I wouldn't be able to walk on my feet and it just got progressively worse from there pretty quick, I really hope that helps if you have any further questions I would be glad to help
    • Posted

Dear Buffy

Sad to hear you have it for 20 years... How are you coping with it... I was just diagonised with RA . I have been reading a lot of info about it and it is rly scary... I Hv pain here and there from time to time . I just hope it won't progess with medication . I pray for all of us.

• Posted

Sia34716,

Was just dx as well. My doc started me on plaquenil. What did you start on? I'm wondering if I should ask for MTX as well as what I have read recommends hitting hard and fast with multiple drugs.

• Posted

And thank you for thoughts and prayers. Prayers go a long way. I pray for all of us as well!
    • Posted

I started on 7.5mg of MTX... Taking it along with folic acid to reduce the side effects. Doc says that is the lowest dosage. I hope I could give you more advice... We will share our journey and fight together with this life long disease..
    • Posted

What you say is the current NICE guidelines. Maybe ask your rheumy why he hasn't done that's?
    • Posted

I'm really sorry you've been diagnosed with this,it's not easy to go through, having this for so long I've been through pretty much everything the doctor's have in there medication arsenal, the methotrexate with the biological worked for awhile, the vitamin d does help a little, the unfortunate reality for me is the pain med's is the only thing that keeps me Mobile, I'm sorry this happened to you, don't give up,

• Posted

Thank you so much ... Yes sometimes I rly feel like giving up... But having kind people around . Being able to share this horrible sickness with the other sufferes... I know im not alone ...The encouragement and the advice is what keep me going ...
    • Posted

Thank you methotrexate makes my liver function go up but that worked for the first year but they kept stopping it that's when it flared up. Now waiting for approval for the biological once. Hate injections
    • Posted

Dear Asia

This was very scary at first and still scary. I have learnt a lot since I just came on this forum. Maybe our bossed should come on and read this. They might learn something I have not been at work since October as they want me to do the physical work as well as the office work

• Posted

Only RA sufferes will understand what we are going through I guess.. Sorry to hear about your condition... Are you on any medication ? Are you getting any better... I learnt that it needs time and patience to get the right treatment
  • Posted

Good you ve got an urgent referral .

At my first appt they gave me corticosteroid shot in backside which helped tremendously with pain. hopefully you ll get that .

My onset was like yours- very painful shoulder for 3 months followed by very painful base of thumb one morning and then a fast increase in number of joints affected over the couple of weeks waiting for my appointment( knees and shoulders particularly bad which made moving arms and walking very difficult) It s a big thing to take in- so if you can, take someone with you to the appointment .

So sorry you have this pain- it s really horrible. Hang on in there as there are meds that help, but it takes a bit of time to find out what works for each of us, so the first few months are often difficult. Hope you get some help soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your prompt responses, it really has helped greatly. I am 34 and I feel like this is the strangest illness. One minute I have a niggle and the next minute I am completely incapacitated by pain! But with my finger joints it goes as quickly as it comes! 

I feel so frightened by it... Because it is forever! I can't live with this sort of pain forever! I know when I get meds that will help... But I have 2 little boys and I don't want to be thinking about this!! Big sigh!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.