How quickly can RA really come on!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Pls help me, my dr thinks I have RA following a high Rheumatoid factor reading, symptoms including swollen hand joints and awful foot pain in both feet causing limping, an urgent rheumatology referral has been made.. But over the last week only one of my shoulders has started to hurt, then today it's like my shoulder symptoms exploded! Suddenly I cannot lift my arm above my waist, majorly restricted movement. My prescribed codeine isn't touching the pain... Is this RA, can it really hit that quickly? I haven't injured my shoulder at all. Thanks

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was just diagnosed as well. My symptoms started mid-March. Let me say I immediately went on AIP diet and my inflammatory markers came down to normal by last week. Could just be coincidence, but I already felt much better by the time I saw the Rheumatologist. She started me on plaquenil, although I have read some Docs use multiple drugs in hopes of remission in the "window of opportunity". Everyone is different, but do inform yourself on fish oil, vitamin D, diet as well as treatment. I'm 43 with 2 young girls. I know how you are feeling. We are all here for each other.
    • Posted

I was just diagnosed as well . My symptons came in early Mar. The pain started on my both knees , then my ankle , then my elbow and then my shoulder. The shoulder pain is the worst. My doc puts me on MTX immediately. I changed my diet by cutting down meat mostly. Eliminated coffee too. My last CRP reading in May dropped. I don't if the diet helps or its the strong medicine that I'm taking. But the pain came back again. We have to live with this terrible illness forever. I pray for all of you hoping therewill be cure for us someday..,.
  • Posted

I have the same symptons as yours and among all my shoulder pain was my worst nightmare. I was just diagnosed and put on strong medicine immediately. I felt much better on somedays... But the pain will appear again. It can happen anytime and any joints. I feel tired too late bing with this horrible life long sickness. You are not alone . Just get treated early and everything will be under control ... Take care and stay positive .
  • Posted

Pretty well overnigh, at least it did with me.   One day I was fine the next I woke up with sore forearms.  Over the next eight months the RA spread to fingers, thumb, forearms, elbows, upper arms, shoulders, neck, back and now lungs.   Depends on the RA's aggressiveness and whether or not you stumble on the meds that work for you.   Very little is known about RA, it's causes and/or treatments.   Each sufferer is differenent as is each individuals response to treatments.. 
  • Posted

So I have had 2 hrs sleep and the psi is no better... Could I go to the hospital?

I don't know when I will see the rheumatologist, they only made the urgent referral last Wednesday. Will A&E be able to help with the pain? Or will the send me home to wait? Does anyone know???

Thank you for all your advice and support

• Posted

Not psi meant to say Pain
    • Posted

Hope your pain eases soon, my sister has RA, has had it 2 years...recently read about VITD which she had never been tested for, not even by Rheumie at hospital, doctor did it, she was severly low on VITD, tablets have helped a bit with pain, but they have really helped a lot with the fatigue....make sure you`re tested!  Good luck....
    • Posted

Maybe try gp again. They could prescribe stronger anti inflammatory painkillers for you- also I remember just keeping paracetamol in the system every 4 hours, which does take the edge off a little. Try to get some help from family and friends.
    • Posted

They may give you an injection for that night but it will be the same again next day

i went to hospital A & E with a numb arm and hand and they kept me in for a week as my blood test was abnormal and I got referred straight away. 3 years later I am still having problems with medication as mtx makes my liver bad and sulfasalzine is not working so now they are applying for me to have Adalimumab

• Posted

Before I was referred to the Rhumatologist, the GP gave me painkillers to ease my pain. Even my Rhumatologist told me panadol could help. Sometimes I tried applying some essential oil for pain relief too. Do not stay in a position for too long, I find excercise or by just slowly moving around will temporarily help the pain. It prevents stiffness too.
  • Posted

I was in severe pain for 3 months and pain killers were barely helping. My rheumatologist said I have severe RA and must be treated aggressively because of the pain and off the chart high inflamation markers. My joints, feet and muscles hurt all the time. I am still in shock that I can be okay and 3 months later I'm severely sick and on high risk medicine. But I'm told it's the norm for RA and life will go back to normal once the doctor gets the best balance for me.
    • Posted

Take heart all of you RA sufferers!

There is life after RA! t

Take it easy, and be caring with yourself. Sleep when you must. Go slowly when you must.

Follow your rheumy's protocol and if it doesn't work right away, be patient.

We're called patients because we need to be patient...

• Posted

How are you getting on now? Hope you are doing well..
    • Posted

Having just had yet another afternoon 2 hour snooze and woken up wondering why I m so tired, your message reminded me to ' go with the flow!' Thanks for making me smile!
  • Posted

Yes, I'm afraid it can. And shoulders are common starting points. It was for me too. You are lucky your GP has recognised the need for an urgent rheumatologist referral.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.