How soon were over 65 ies with cemented posterior walking independently.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post op. Told to stay on 2 crutches for 5 weeks then on to one before seeing consultant at the end of week 6.

I can only take a few steps without crutches and can only walk a half mile with 2 crutches when weather let's me out.

. I've just read someone at 18 days walking 3 to 4 k. Should I be doing more. Doing exercise in book 3 times daily. A family member thinks fear is keeping me back but I still have pain in weight bearing fully.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm no expert but I thiink they are doing too much walking that distance!  There is NO way the muscles and tissues can have healed sufficiently!  Sounds like some personal test to me,,  Everyone on here has told me to go at my own pace - but keep going AND rest!
  • Posted

I had a first hip replaced two years ago and will admit to walking too much. I had my second one last Friday and am listening to my body more, resting more and walking around the house , upstairs to pee. Looking forward to getting back on the static bike at the end of the week as per physion instructions..
    • Posted

Thank Susan. It's all individual I suppose.Good luck with your second recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Attractac

Yes I have seen a few miracle stories on here but once you start to dig a bit you find that these people had anterior replacements or the lastest micro version of a replacement. I asked my surgeon before the op and he has done numerous anterior replacements but never felt confident that he got the prothesis straight as he can't see as well compared to a classic posterior op. The down side for the traditional method is more damage and a slower recovery.

• Posted

Ah well Andy . hopefully the upside is a full recovery and a long lasting hip.
  • Posted

I don't want to discourage anyone here, but, at 17 weeks post op, I still wandle like a toddler ... Now, had RTHR 17 weeks ago , however my left hip is in need of THR surgery as well ... I didn't see that coming - 

I admit that my walk is sloppy ... don't always lift my feet and take nice steps (heel-toe) or remember the string pulling me straight ... 

My problem is that my thighs feel stiff and my walk resembles Frankenstein or a zombie ... (Big sigh) -

You are doing really good - Just go with what is comfortable to you ...it is your body - there is no gain in pain in the book of THR surgery - 

As the saying goes: One step at a time - 

warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee. Full lenght mirror like in a school of ballet would help.
  • Posted

Hi attractac you will love me because I seem slower than everyone else in fact I have been out this morning to buy 2 walking sticks, not because I think I can use them  yet, but to make myself feel better I can use 1 crutch indoors but wouldnt risk 1 outside yet I live in middle of nowhere so no pavements. I can walk with no crutches in kitchen where I can grab counter but grandson tells me I do penguin better than penguins do !! I am about the same post op as you I cheer myself by thinking we will all get there in the end !
    • Posted

You sound just like me. I went out there with two crutches and would lift one and do about 5 steps with one then put second one down. Doing the furniture walk too. It is great to be on one in doors tho as able to carry stuff.

Someone on here said use the crutches like sticks to try them out.

I call it the Charlie Chaplin walk.

• Posted

Without a walker or cane I do the Charlie Chaplin walk for sure. In the USA they discourage crutches for us older folks and instead we use a walker. they say this helps with a our stride. Personally I am confortable with crutches but am now using the walker an dit does help with my stride. We only have one doctor in our town who does anterior replacements and those patients have no restrictions after surgery. While that sounds good I am happy to know my doctor can see the prothesis is in correctly.
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post op and cemented, I walk distances every day (1 mile) with a walking stick and walk around the house with nothing.... I have to concentrate as my physio told me to keep myself upright and walk straight when walking without aids , But I'm getting there a little more each day does it...
  • Posted

I am also 4 weeks today, Attractac, and I am 52 with an un-cemented posterior wotsit. My consultant told me that the rules about degrees of movement are there to keep the joint stable until the muscles and ligaments stabilise and mend. He said how long it takes is individual. What he did tell me was that a cemented joint is more stable at the beginning and mine definitely felt unsafe for a while.

I am still on quite a lot of painkillers and don't think I could walk as well without them. I listen to what my body says and try to ignore it when it says "sit down and eat that large piece of chocolate cake".

Half a mile with two crutches sounds really good to me, I think we are at the same stage

• Posted

Mmmm. Chocolate cake. I was very good the first few weeks and stayed away from chocolates etc. But now that boredom is setting in a bit the chocolates are so tempting.

I went off the cocodamol because of affects on stomach but I am back on one morning and night as paracetamol was not enough.

Now for a few more hours sleep.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 12 weeks post THR and I too was getting rather disappointed with my progress after reading reviews of people on the forum walking miles at just a few weeks. When I had my six week check I was on one stick and told the consultant that I didn't think I was doing very well compared to some others on the forum. He raised his eyes and said that they were not doing themselves any favours as the muscles repair at their own pace and by overworking them they are not going to repair as well and there could be problems later on. He said that it takes 3-6 months and maybe even 9 months for everything to get back to normal.I took this on board and although I am still walking a bit like a penguin I'm not unduly worried as I would rather it take the time it needs as I want everything to repair properly. I now have problems with my other hip which was fine before but hoping that if I'm sensible it will all sort itself out.

i do still read the posts but don't compare them to my situation as we are all different.

• Posted

Hi Joyce, 

Welcome to this wonderful forum ... We share our ups and downs here - Accomplishments, no matter how small, are all big to us .. 

Good that you don't compare your self to others - it is such an individual process - level of fitness prior surgery (mine was 2 at best), age , support etc ...are part of it - oh, and gender ! it seems that males are able to do things faster than females - 

Watch your other hip .. I found out that the cartilage of my other (left) hip detoriated from mild to almost bone-on-bone within a couple of months - 

You are doing great - I love your disposition.

Take good care -

Warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks for that Joyce. I too was doing a bit of comparing . The hospital don't give enough info on what to expect at different stages. I have six weeks check up on Aug 11th so will know more then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.