How to come off Citalipram after 10 days?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been taking Citalipram for about 10 days, took 10mg for 7 days, went to 20mg for 2 days then didn't take a tablet and had a couple of glasses of champagne. Worst night of my life! Dizzy, numb arms and hands, upset stomach (constantly on the loo) waves of panic and nausea for hours! Back on 10mg for two days and think I'd like to stop taking them. Does anyone know if taking 5mg a day for a while will be about right to slowly come off after such a short time? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why are you stopping taking them??

I would always recommend speaking to your GP first with coming off these meds.

Also i have been on them for 6 weeks and had 2 glasses of wine on Sunday...might as well have had the entire bottle for the headache i had all day yesterday 😈😈😈 x x

• Posted

Hi, I want to come off them because I think it will be easier now than if I take them for longer. I'm going to therapy and I think that will be good for me. x
  • Posted

I was put on 20 mg CIT .but I started of on 5mg by breaking them down .I went to 30 mg before I levaled out. After 6 months I now take 10 mg took me along time .I supose its like going cold Turkey. You have only been in them a few days I have been on then 2 years . I don't get no problem from them at all. I think I would if I came off as my body I used to the drug. I think the manufacturing of the meds don't want you off them ,its all money to them they keep you hooked. So if you can and you are able then get off them before its a life time in taking them .do it safely bit by bit
    • Posted

Thank you, I think I will try to get off them if I can. Hopefully going to 5mg will be ok x
    • Posted

Well they work hand in hand you may be suffering from lack of serotonin . your body naturally makes it. It adjust your mood .so when you exercise you feel good after. Bit like that.

Therapy will help . I went through that CBT. Helped me realise why and all about stress and anxiaty. I paid and went private for hypnosis .that was brilliant now I am a better person going through all the sh*t than before.

• Posted

Hi ya Speak to your Dr You need a routine when it comes to this medicine Its powerful stuff but Takes time So please speak to Dr
    • Posted

Thank you, maybe I will call him to check. I'm hoping after such a short time I will be ok coming off them. I can't face another night like that!
    • Posted

My question to you is Was the champagne you drunk of Good quality or was it cheap fizzy wine Reason I ask is I have heard of people who have had your symptoms just on cheap champagne And they don't take any medicine So maybe that's where the problem is not the tablets
    • Posted

It was Lanson champagne, I only had 2 glasses over 2 hours but I wonder whether that plus missing a tablet was the problem, especially after just upping my dose to 20mg.
    • Posted

May I suggest you just do what Dr says remember every one on this site is only trying to help Yet your question should be why are we on there in the 1st place My answer would be For me any way is I also feel a bit insecure taking these tablets And I'm hoping to find a magic get better quick answer But really only by talking to my Dr can a true answer be had Yet my head and this horrible illness tells me keep looking on this forum
  • Posted

Hi nikki

please have a think about it before doing anything drastic. I know you are probably feeling awful right now, but the medication hasn't had chance to balance in your system to start making you feel better. The side effects will ease off very soon and then you will start feeling the benefits. It's so important not to skip a tablet as your delaying the balancing effect. The first couple of weeks are the worst...This is the time where you feel that the medication is making you feel worse and you start believing you won't get better by staying on it. It honestly does do what it says on the packet! There is a valid reason why your doctor feels you need these tablets. Just give them a chance and you will be pleased you did. I was so convinced I would not getter and I did. So will you!

Stick with them if you can xx

wishing you better

god bless xx

• Posted

Thank you Lorraine! My only fear is that once I'm on them I won't be able to come off them again xx
    • Posted

Nikki

I promise you when it's time to come off them it honestly isn't bad if you taper off slowly. I had every side effect

when starting the tablets and absolutely zero coming off them! Weird but honestly true. I went from 40mg to 0mg in 6 weeks. I know people taper even slower than this but you can gage by the way you are feeling. So you need to get better soon so we can discuss this more lol!

God bless xx

• Posted

This is tricky as there's so many things here that'll be making you feel bad! 7 days on 10mg will make the anxiety etc worse anyway, going to 20 will have escalated the side effects and then to add alcohol into the mix seems to have been a disaster for you (you're not meant to mix alcohol with these meds). Personally I think if your Dr thinks you need them I would stay on 10mg for a good few weeks as they may be enough (why did you go to 20?) and see how you go. If you're determined to stop go speak to the dr and he can tell you whether to wean off or as you've not been doing it long to just stop, I would def check first though xxx good luck xxx let U.S. know what you decide xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you Marf, the doc said take 10mg for 7 days then go to 20 mg. I will talk to him to see what is the best thing to do. xxx
    • Posted

Nikki

I've taken these meds for 15 years and come off them a couple of time with no problem .... but it has to be done properly.  When I first started the meds I asked myself what was more important - being well and getting my life back or going through even more years of being ill.  You can guess which won.

These meds are not to be messed with - they're not like taking paracetamol - they first increase your symptoms to start with, alcohol is a no no to start with and you have to be consistent as missing medicine will make you feel ill.  All these 3 seem to have made you feel ill at the moment.  It's temporary - but you must be kind to yourself.  You can introduce alcohol eventually, but for the time being you should be careful.

These meds are not addictive, so if you take them for many years you can come off them - withdrawing slowly.  

If you decide to carry on with these meds, you will find they'll change your life, but it can take 3-4 months to take effect.  For me 3-4 months was nothing after suffering depression and anxiety for around 15 years.

I'm now anxiety and depression free.

K xx

• Posted

That was was well said .you are absolutely right.

The only reason I look and write in these forums its to try to inform people who are suffering as we did back in the day.

At the height of the illness you feel so desperate you need to talk to someone as you can't understand what is going on.for me I just took on everyone problems and issuses,and wouldn't slow down

Now I don't!!!!! As you said be jind to your self

• Posted

Thanks gawen xx

Yes, so many are prescribed these meds without much information about what to expect, and many end up struggling.  I do feel for people.  Not only have I struggled with this illness and recovered, but my son too.  It was after watching my son go through the same thing that I saw a similar pattern of recovery as I'd gone through.

I remember feeling so very desperate and thinking it would never end, and there wasn't any information to help me - I thought I was the only one!  I suffered for so many years before being put into these meds - a true lifesaver!

We try and do our bit for others don't we 😊 - I don't like to see people struggle.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Katekogs

you are certainly a big chunk of the backbone of this forum. I often think people who take the time out to help others in need, are helping god do his work....you are certainly one of those people.

god bless you always. You helped and supported me through my depression. ..more than you could ever imagine. Now I'm better (you were right...We do get better!)

I just wanted to give you a BIG THANK YOU ♥♥♥

• Posted

Lorraine

Your lovely words brought a tear to my eyes!  Thank you xx.  Yes, we certainly do get better - we just need to be reassured it'll be alright.  I remember when I was so ill, I read some books explaining recovery from nervous illness in such simple terms it took the fearful mystery out of it for me which helped me so much, and I always wished doctors and therapists explained it as I had read ..... which they still don't seem to.  When I recovered on the meds I remembered these books and it seemed to be the same process I was going through.

Thank you again ..... I like that ..... a 'big chunk' 😄 ❤️

K xxx

• Posted

I mean it! I was trying to work out how many vertebrae in a backbone, so I could apply my 99% award! ...but gave up on that idea as my brain wasn't playing ball in computing the info.... and opted for 'big chunk' lol ♥♥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.