how to cope with Vertigo dizziness and whoozy feeling???

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, have had experienced the awful feeling of vertigo 5 weeks back had been diagnosed with bppv. Have this dizzy spells all the time and feel like i wil fall if i look down or up. I can walk slowly now and do stuff but haven't been to work for 5 weeks now, so scared it might happen again. Don't feel like sleeping as well thinking it might happen again. 

I did abit of google and there are reoccurence as well which is freaking me out. Wil this dizziness be always there or go away. Feel so helpless and thinking why me??? How do u deal with this???

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Reshmi

I have been diagnosed with bppv.  Have had it for over a year now.  I thought i might have to give up work but it's not as bad as it was.  It did recur and i had the Epley manouver twice.  It does affect your balance, i found it difficult to walk through doors and on unlevel ground, sometimes comes on again if i look up and when i lay back. It's there in the background most days.  Hopefully with time you will adapt and learn what movements trigger yours.  Anxiety makes it worse in my experience so it might help to try and 'chill out' as my GP told me.  If you haven't already try and get an ENT appointment for further investigation.  Hope you feel better soon.  I try to do things more slowly now which is sometimes hard to remember but it does help.

• Posted

Hi anne, so sorry to hear about your bppv and how you dealing with it for an year now. My GP said it should go away with time but guess they not sure themselves most of the time. I also had epley done and it did make me feel a little bit better. Got an appointment with an ent in 2 week time. I feel awful when i wake up and never wana sleep again when i wake up. Most of the days i feel better in the afternoon like im the old myself again. Does that happen with you too?
  • Posted

Dear reshmi,sorry you are feeling so awful .i also have many of the symptoms I have tried a few different pills but none have yet worked. I have had a head scan ,hearing test,and balance tests. All have come back clear ( that is good) but still not found the route of the problems. I am going back to entt when the appointment comes through and today my doctor has put me on amitriptyline he says it will block the nearve endings in my ears and it may work (here's hoping). Also I had a neck massage from a chiropractor yesterday as he thinks it could be related to my neck ( anything is worth trying) when you get desperate  take care.  
    • Posted

hey gill63793, i also went to chiropractor he did massage of my neck and the second day i was better then the last day, yes like you said anything is worth trying i also did, he said your neck is making dificulties to you nerve vein and tommorow i have ENT appointment let see whats going with me.
    • Posted

Plz let me know how you get on tomorrow 
    • Posted

I'm going to a chiropractor soon hope it helps mine.. My whole neck hurts bad from being tense cuz of the vertigo.. 
    • Posted

hey i went today and all the tests came normal i don't have any problem with my ears, nose and throat so it something else that make me dizzy.
    • Posted

yes chiropracotor is a good choice i'm really relax after they did my massage but the problem is they are very expensive :P 1st appointment costs me 45 euros and second 35 euros
    • Posted

Maybe it can possible with depression or something else, because when you get vertigo you want vertigo to leave and you can believe on anything that cause vertigo like 3 weeks ago before my brain scan i thought it was brain tumor but thank god it wasn't.
    • Posted

I also had a scan and mine was clear. The doctor yesterday gave me some pills he said it would go to the nearve endings in my ears ,when I read up they are for depression 
    • Posted

Your doctor is even giving you something mine is just giving me appointments of neruo and etc after 3 months lol they want me to survive that vertigo.
  • Posted

I have been dealing with this since 2007. I've had several test for  vertigo and that was how I got diagnosed. I take ativan to calm my nerves since anxiety can bring it on.. I went to my ent doctor yesterday and she gave me exercises and told me to ask my family doctor for another med to help with my panic attacks.. You have to get the crystals in your ears to go back where they belong. So head exercises are a must. Sit on the bead feet flat on the floor and staring straight ahead lay down on left side still looking at the wall. Do that in a semi quick way. Then repeat on right side do 10 each way. 3 times a day. Hope this helps. Sleeping in a recliner helps to not flat thou.. Good luck . 
    • Posted

Hi tonya, whao from 2007 its a long time you having to deal with it. Do you feel dizzy all the time? And is it bppv you suffering from? Is it just the dizziness that doesn't go away or do you normally have vertigo attacks as well where the eyes start moving (the most scariest experience ever).
  • Posted

With bppv you might not always feel dizzy or have trouble with balance. It all depends on whether or not the crystals in your inner ear are out of place or moving around. Usually sudden head movements can bring on an attack. Still some experience vertigo almost none stop.  Your doctor or a PT can preform the epley and sermont head maneuvers to help you with an attack but it won't cure it. Taking nausea medication can also help you get through the maneuvers long enough get relief. Simbalance on facebook posts articles related with this type of vertigo if you want to check it out. Also veda is another good resource.
    • Posted

Hello,

Do either one of you have trouble with your vision thru these attacks? My vision is so blurry and when I try to focus on something, it brings on the attacks. The manuevers you talk about have not helped me at all. I went thru one month of  Vestibular Therapy too that did not give me any relief. Doctors won't give me a diagnosis but medication doesn't help either. He prescribed Valium to take during the day. I can't take that and try to work so that does no good for me. I would just like a diagnosis so I can try to go on with this horrific feeling of unwellness..

• Posted

Yes my vision gets blurry and hard to focus.. You need to go to a ent doctor. They helped me more than any other doctor did. They can do the eply maneuver on you. 
    • Posted

Yes my vision gets blurry and hard to focus.. You need to go to a ent doctor. They helped me more than any other doctor did. They can do the eply maneuver on you. 
    • Posted

Yea i hav had the epley done it helped abit. I can move my head around now only looking down is the worst feeling ever. Could it be the crystals are out but taking the brain time to adjust? I want to go back to work from next week. Just scared, its hard to get your confidence back. Did anyone had a reoccurence of the vertigo attack?? I heard it can reoccur. 
    • Posted

Hi brenda, yeah i do get blurry vision but it has improved alot after the initial vertigo attack. Its the dizziness and imbalance feeling that isn't going away 
    • Posted

I have been to 3 ENT Doctors and they can't tell me why I still feel so dizzy and off balance. They wouldn't even attempt the Epley Manuever..they said my eyes weren't moving but I could feel them moving. I have major headaches everyday and off balance all day long.
    • Posted

Thats what i hav the dizziness and imbalance feeling that wouldn't go away. How long has it been since your vertigo attack?? You can go to a physiotherapist for the manuvour. I don't get headache just dizziness when i walk or do something. Its so frustrating. Ru diagnosed with bppv brenda?
    • Posted

Hi reshmi. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. 3 ENT doctors and they won't tell me anything other than my left balance nerve is not working. He put me on some medicine to try to dry up the fluid if there is any in there. Nothing is working. I am so off balance and my vision is blurry. The eye dr put me in contacts for one eye to try to balance my vision. Most of the time, that doesn't help with the woozy feeling I get almost 24/7. I have done 4 weeks of vestibular therapy, I have done maneuvers on my own and the chiropractor did the Epley Manuever and it didn't work either. I'm so tired of this horrific feeling. It has been a year this month and no answers.😂
    • Posted

So sorry to hear how you feeling brenda. Hope you get better soon. I know the imbalance and dizziness is the worst feeling ever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.