How to curb Appetite

Posted , 10 users are following.

That husband of mine again!

Pred liable to increae weight - also increases appetite.

Blood glucose levels up also.

I've told him that the narrow breadsticks may be low in carbs and sugar - but not if he keeps munching them. He's gone up to the back bedroom where the TV is - no munchies up there.

Spends most afternoons in his shed (a mile away) with classic tractors, motor bike and miners' lamps - no munchies there (AFIK) and a fair amount of activity and exercise.

Otherwise I can't think of anything else to combat the munchies - any ideas welcome.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes pred is well known for  increasing the appetite. I’m currently on a diet and have lost 18 lbs disputes having been on high doses . 40mg for a while I had a bout of GCA. Now down to 19 mg. Breadsticks are not a good idea as their refined carbs . Oat cakes would be a far better swap for breadsticks . Wholewheat bread is a better way to go if bread is what he loves. I still eat bread but Its always homemade and wholesome. Bread gets a lot of  unnecessary bad rap but if you eat good quality it will fill you up for longer. I add a good quality protein like chicken or eggs in a lunch time sandwich and eat plenty of veggies with every meal & replace butter with low fat cream cheese to keep the cals low . Go for quality food to help with glucose spikes. Bean salads ,whole grains where ever possible and keep skins on potatoes. Semi skimmed milk. Little swaps & changes will make all the difference. Don’t ever skip food groups or go on fad diets as they never work. Just focus on good quality food. All the best 👍🏻 

• Posted

Jones, fill him up with salads. Watch the dressing. ☺️
  • Posted

Hi I buy low carb hobos bread, white,brown or wholewheat they sell so you can buy whatever he likes. I also have Irish soda bread. 

Pit is hard when you take pred because as has been said it increases your appetite . I lost 7.5lbs in three months and the hospital was pleased I know it's not a lot , but if I can keep going over a year it could be around 30lbs.

good luck, it's not easy. But a well balanced diet with an occasitional treat does no harm😀

• Posted

Should say hovis bread.
    • Posted

Margaret, I love bread, but I have gone to the extreme, I no longer eat bread or any grains. My weight is now the same as before PMR. I must say it is hard when passing a bakery. ☺️
    • Posted

What do you eat instead of bread, it is a failing of mine put a loaf of anything in front of me and I would devour it, I buy bread and freeze it then I just take out what I need, otherwise the loaf would be gone in one day.
    • Posted

Margaret, for a sandwich we use a cabbage or lettuce leaf. Now we also organic lentil pasta. No grains! ☺️
    • Posted

Michdon, thank you i take it you cook the cabbage leaf first?, the lettuce leaf sounds good, not heard of lentil pasta before, i get spinich pasta could i buy this from the health shop, sounds nice.

i grow lettuce, but not the large, so i take it cos lettuce is the one i need, so will grow that.

Many thanks hope you are well.cool

• Posted

Margaret, I am doing well getting over my flare, couple of weeks off the bike. No I don't cook the cabbage leafs, eat them raw. I also eat a lot of raw cabbage in my salads. I eat a lot of raw veggies. Positive and smiling ??

• Posted

Hi MIchdon just to let you know I have found some lentil pasta, and pea pasta as well.

had a day in Leeds.

• Posted

Margaret, we enjoy the lentil pasta, have tried several other types, but lentil. One of my favorite dishes, pasta fazool, maked with all fresh organic ingredients. Take a little more time, if my wife is not home I can make and surprise her. I enjoy cooking it, learned how to from my piano teacher, who learn from his mother. Great dish, good fun. The positive and smiling. ☺️
  • Posted

I'm not sure of the science here but someone will correct me if necessary.

If it is the spikes in blood sugar that encourages the body to store the surplus as fat then this may be relevant; if not, please ignore.

A couple of weeks ago there was a very interesting programme really directed at diabetics. Apparently it has been found that if bread is frozen then the sugar is absorbed more slowly so controlling the spikes. Also, the usual advice to avoid refined starches.

• Posted

Cucumber, other salad veg such as peppers and carrots (not too many of them, they have carbs) cut into sticks and kept in the fridge. I love cauli, broccoli and sprouts raw to nibble but I know that is an acquired taste.  He can eat hard boiled eggs, slices of chicken (drumsticks and thighs are handy), rolls of sliced ham and cheese. You can make low carb wraps by using lettuce leaves to roll the filling in. Berries - but not too many and not other fruit. Apples and pears are particularly bad.

Once you can deprive him of carbs the munchies will fade - then it is just a case of keeping his mouth occupied and happy wink  Make sure he is satisfied with a meal - don't use low fat products, if he will eat yoghurt get plain and add your own flavouring as bought ones have loads of sugar in them. 

This site is very good and has good ideas:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

It has pictures showing what is lower and what higher in carb.

Instead of a white sauce for cauli cheese or the like I beat an egg into a Total 5% fat (2% will do too) and use that instead of the sauce. If I want to make lasagne I use thinly slices courgettes/zucchini or aubergine.

• Posted

PS - does he like radishes? Lovely and crunchy - you kmow you have something in your mouth!
    • Posted

Yes, radishes I always have a container in the fridge. Homemade hummus to drip cuke, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, celery sticks, carrots in the list goes on. Hummus bland spice it up with hot or something. Once you start eating like that the desire for bad carbs passes. Good luck. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.