How To Get Over The Fear Of Medication?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys it's been a while since I've been online and things have gotten a bit worse for me. My agoraphobia is at an all time high, I haven't left the house in months only to the ER and doctor which are both only a few blocks away. I am seeing a new psychiatrist who prescribed Lamotrigine, Clonidine and Prazosin for me panic disorder, gad, depression and agoraphobia. I've had the meds for a while now but have only taken the clonidine a couple of times because I had it before during my stay in the hospital. I am still scared to take it on my own which is really weird. I panic every time I take it which has been only twice to get myself to the psychiatrist / therapist. I have not always been afraid of medication, since developing this disorder, I am really scared of the side effects, I read that stopping these meds cold turkey can have some deadly effects which scare the living crap out of me. The clonidine is as needed but if you stop cold turkey, your blood pressure can shoot up and you can have a heart attack or stroke, My two biggest fears and source of my anxiety. My blood pressure shoots really high during panic attacks (215/119 highest recorded ) which is why it was prescribed but I am still scared to take it being that I feel like I need to take it daily because my anxiety is so bad. The lamotrigine is used as a mood stabilizer and prazosin is another blood pressure med which I read is usually used for people with PTSD.

How can I get over this fear of taking medication even though I really need it? I feel like the only time I've taken meds or feel safe taking them is in the hospital under medical supervision which isn't;t possible for me. I need some help/advice.

Thank you all in advanced.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello friend,

Often the side effects of medication outweigh it's benefits, and often the benefits outweigh the side effects.

Whether or not to take prescribed meds is your choice so if your meds help then to drop the worry try meditation and Mindfulness to ease your anxiety, accept that you need them, discuss your concerns with your doctor prior to making any decision.

Peace 🙏

• Posted

maybe it's just me, but I've got such a hard time understanding everyone's aversion to taking meds for anxiety! if you've got high blood pressure you take meds, if you've got high cholesterol you take meds and on and on....why then the problem with taking (the proper amount) of a med to help with anxiety??

I DON'T GET IT!!

• Posted

The thing is, my anxiety is specifically health anxiety. I don't take meds for anything simply because I fear I would be that 1% that will experience the serious side effects. I had sinus issues and didn't take the meds. Acid reflux same thing, the meds are still sitting on my dresser. It's not ust meds for anxiety. I can't speak as to why others have a problem taken meds for anxiety. I have a problem with medication period. Also ingredients I haven't tried before I avoid, vitamins. ETC. I don't eat meat, only fruits and vegetable I am familiar with.

• Posted

ok....maybe I'm confused. what exactly is "health anxiety"? is it different from regular general anxiety?

• Posted

Forgive me for not explaining it well. It's basically hypochondria. I have GAD, but also have specific phobias as a result according to my psych. My best ex passed from cancer at 27 which started all of this for me. At the time, I decided to try some passion flower to ease the stress I was feeling and one night after drinking the passion flower, I had my first panic attack which was traumatic for me. This is what I think started the fear of supplements / medications. + health related anxieties.

• Posted

just because you dont understand it

doesnt mean its any less real to us

be kind

your being rude

• Posted

Excuse me?? I wasn't being rude at all! I was truly trying to understand the difference btw the different anxieties!

I'm on medication myself. I'd never judge anyone who's obviously struggling.

Who's being rude now??

• Posted

hi not sure you will see this

you sound like my twin I also have health anxiety and I have fears related to taking medications and vitamins and foods I havent eaten or havent eaten since I was a kid .

I'll go without medical treatment because of my fears its absolutely crazy bit it's so real and powerful for me .

I'm gonna get back into therapy I'm sick of it ruling my life

how are you now

can I PM you I'd love to chat about this

• Posted

Sure you can PM me. I a still the same. I'm am trying to get therapy at the moment.

• Posted

i too have very bad health anxiety after my dad died of lung cancer right in front of me one day i was walking to store and all of sudden i got this heavy pressure in my shoulder and had shortness of breath i though i was having a heartattack i went to my clinc down the street and they check my blood presuure it was very high and the doctor put me on meds for it after i took it for awile i was sitting at the movies and i felt this weird sensation all over my body like i was gonna pass out and die i think the meds made my blood pressure to low after that i started getting this really bad headaches that would make me cry every day i couldn't function my daily activities i was taking every headache medicine and didnt help at all . then a friend of the family. who was only 33 had a major stroke at which it made her a vegetable cant talk or walk eats through a feeding tube only liquids that scared the hell out me i thought maybe im gonna have a stroke too with these headaches ive been getting i keep going to the hospital to check im ok and they cant seem to figure out whats wrong with me i stoped taking the medicine and after awile. the headache went away i did a mri of the brain and the results say i have scattered small white spots do to migraines what heck is that. now i panic everytime i get any kind of pain on my body that im dying of something its driving me crazy but wont take meds for it cause of all the side effects . i have this weired feeling in the front of my head like something is blocking my thinking i cant concentrate on things i cant say the words in my head when i do it comes out all scattered nobody seems to understand what im saying when i talk i feel disoriented and i feel like im not here like im in somebody eles body my mind is always racing cant sleep. sometimes. sorry i ramble alot too i just want to know if anybody gets that way too and helped them to get through it and now my teenage son is getting the same anxiety too cant do his homework from school cause his head feels blocked too and panic around people he also feels Depersonalization-derealization also me too . i need help if anybody can help please reply thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.