How to leave hospital after replacement in two days or under?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Please can you share with me the quickest way I can leave the hospital after a hip replacement? I am desperate to be back at home with my children and family and hate hospitals. I would quite frankly walk on hot coals, I am sure it will probably feel like it too.

My operation is on Tuesday, I am absolutely dreading it/can't wait for the day to come in equal combination. I am sure everyone feels this way...I am just so worried for my children.

Thankyou

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am sure you have prepared your children well for the short separation. Most stays are for 2-4 nights so not really long.  I feel you would have to promise to rest at home, and not get stuck in to family life. You will feel tired and frustrated at not being able to do a lot. Make sure you do your exercises and all physio, but as a base line they will not let you out until you are well enough. Good luck for op day
  • Posted

Hi rose

I think you have to go with the flow. If you are in the uk they will want to make sure you can walk on crutches, go to the loo by yourself and be able to go up and down stairs. Don't put yourself under pressure because it may be that you need to get the pain under control and you may not be able to do the stairs until day 3.

Take each day as it comes and if you get out after 2 days it will be great but personally I would plan for at least 3 days

Hope all goes well

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Thanks Kate, I am planning to stay for the usual time, and hopeful I can leave earlier. I will be glad just to get through it at the moment!
  • Posted

Please, please, please, don't try to rush out of hospital.   As much as you hate hospitals  the staff are trained to see to your needs post op. You will be discharged when it is deemed the right time to hand over your care to your GP & district nurses.  You are having a big operation and will need weeks of recovery.  Your children will need to be supporting you during your recovery time.  Try not to worry and best wishes x
    • Posted

Kevin I can not help but think of my babies at home. I am afraid they are my priority even now, and as much as I try I can not change it! 
  • Posted

So sorry rose

Let's hope you feel better soon. This is a horrible time for you.

The children will be come through it all. They are well cared for and will come to no harm.Rest assured they will be fine.

You are the main concern. Your health and safety must come first. Please don't try to rush home before your body has time to recover. Take it easy and let the professionals do their work.  The quickest way to leave hospital is to relax and let your body do its work in peace. As the quote says "Let go and let God"

Loving thoughts,

Shirley

• Posted

Shirley ~ my little children both lost their pets yesterday, I think they died from fright because the winds were so bad. They are so distraught, and are now very stressed about me leaving as well. I didn't want to leave them before and now it will be even harder!

Timing could not be worse poor little ones. x

• Posted

Aaaawww Roooose - so sorry to hear that ... right, great timing ...

thinking of you and angel blessings to you and your daughters 

love

renee

• Posted

Thanks lovely! It never rains and all of that!!!! I am having a christmas party tonight I have decided! With the full bing crosby evening to try and brighten the children and all of us! Can not afford to start off tomorrow badly, so I HAVE to turn things around before tomorrow.

Thank you for being a little angel. You really are. I hope things are getting easier for you. You rarely mention how you are x

• Posted

Rose just go with the flow honey!! It's not gonna be nearly as bad as you think!!! Don't go in uptight,just try for 2-3 days to go with the flow or you're going to make it sooooo hard on yourself!! You can't change it so go with it! You'll be fine!!! Be thinking of you, enjoy your party! Think we should all come lol. Xxx
    • Posted

I think if you ask yourself just this one question and focus on your answer it should help you.

When you are in the hospital will your children be safe?

• Posted

Yes vas I so feel much calmer today. Will be at the hospital soon! Xx
    • Posted

It's so much better once things are happening, once the op is done, you can then concentrate on recovery.

The worst bit is when you are pre-op, and waiting for the unknown to happen.  It is only natural for your mind to wonder what is to come and worry about it.

Like the 'double hippies', I am in the unenviable position between operations, so I am recovering from one THR, and waiting for the next op.  So I will be in my TED socks for 6 weeks, out of them for 4, then back in them for a further 6 weeks again sad, same goes for alcohol.

Then there's all the medication that I know I have to have again, most of which I know my body does not tolerate very well (I rarely take paracetamol or ibuprofen for pain normally).

Best wishes

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.