How to leave hospital after replacement in two days or under?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Please can you share with me the quickest way I can leave the hospital after a hip replacement? I am desperate to be back at home with my children and family and hate hospitals. I would quite frankly walk on hot coals, I am sure it will probably feel like it too.

My operation is on Tuesday, I am absolutely dreading it/can't wait for the day to come in equal combination. I am sure everyone feels this way...I am just so worried for my children.

Thankyou

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

They won't keep you in hospital any longer than is necessary, but as everyone says you need to be able to walk to toilet using crutches, use stairs, and in my husband's case on blood thinning tablets,not compression stockings.  But think of your own recovery and listen to advice and all will go well I am sure.  Good luck for Tuesday.  Oh, and my husband was out on the 2nd day which is why I have been so worried but had my mind set to rest by all these kind people on this site.  All the best to you 

• Posted

That is fantastic I hope I can leave on the 2nd day! I know I will heal and be much happier at home. How is your husband now? Is he going to your grandaughter's for christmas after all?
  • Posted

Rose - why are you so worried about your children. I know, they will probably be worried about you, in their own way if they are young. My grandson, darling 5 year old, had completely the wrong idea about what surgery was, he was sooo relieved to see me in hospital the following day after surgery, I was standing and doing my exercises when he and my daughter arrived, he took one look at my legs, and heaved a sigh of relief, and then started negiotation for my crutches much to everybody in the room delight. The visit was just a very short one, but more important for Nick than for me I do believe. Time is hospital I'm afraid I agree with the others, up to the Dr's, but I do assure you they don't keep you any longer than necessary, that bed is booked for the next patient. As they are getting you ready to leave the next patient is being wheeled out of the operating theatre.
    • Posted

My children lost their pets yesterday in the storm, they have not stopped crying since then,and I have to leave them in the morning for up to five days, and they have never been left over night before.That is why I am so worried.

I feel sick at the thought of leaving them like this, and how they are going to deal with all of the stress of both the situations happening together. 

I hope I can be lucky and come home as soon as I can. 

• Posted

Rose - this is last minute panic. Darling stop it. Your babies will be fine. They will be loved and cared for. You will be back home with them in no time. Rushing home unprepared would be silly for both yourself and your kids. You want to get this right and get better - not be back in hospital! Let everyone help you when you do get home. Rest as much as you can and get your physio done. Treat it like a big adventure for you and the family. Focus on all the good bits and remind yourself how much better you will be feeling when you get to Christmas and are safe, healing and with your family. Read everyone's advice - we are all rooting for you! Good luck xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you. I am really stressed about tomorrow. The weekend hasb't helped! x
  • Posted

I went to rehab for 2 weeks otherwise I would have left afternoon after surgery.
    • Posted

The following afternoon? Could you walk the stairs etc after one day? 
  • Posted

Don't worry! Just for a few days worry about you!!! I had my op on a Monday afternoon and came home Thursday afternoon.( felt very knocked out)! But I'd say I wouldn't have been ready before!

Good luck! X

• Posted

My brother said that, he said he felt an exhaustion he had never felt before. I will wait and see, thanks for your post x
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

Please don't put pressure on yourself, I went in on the Thursday,and was back home on Saturday at 3pm.and I live on my own.As everyone one says , make sure you do your exersises and physio.,and at home you will have to make sure you do not over do things. When is your op? 

Thinking of you , please don't rush xx

• Posted

I woud be happy with that! And will do my best. Operation tomorrow and feeling sick with worry! Literally shaking like a leaf !
    • Posted

dear rose, 

thinking of you and sending light and healing rays to you and surgical team ... looking forward hearing from you post-op .......

blessings and big warm embrace

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee! I am on my way now feeling completely calm. I think I got my anxious moments out of the way early!!! Thank you for remembering me and for all of your messages xxxx see you on the other side! Xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you darling! Can't wait for it to be over!!! smile huge love to all of you today x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.