How to leave hospital after replacement in two days or under?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Please can you share with me the quickest way I can leave the hospital after a hip replacement? I am desperate to be back at home with my children and family and hate hospitals. I would quite frankly walk on hot coals, I am sure it will probably feel like it too.

My operation is on Tuesday, I am absolutely dreading it/can't wait for the day to come in equal combination. I am sure everyone feels this way...I am just so worried for my children.

Thankyou

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi rose

Hope you are staying calm. You must try to concentrate on getting well and direct your energy towards healing. Today don't overdo things in a last minute rush.

Rest and relax, have plenty to drink and something light to eat.

Enjoy a calming soak in the bath this evening as you will not be able to have a bath for a while.

Remember our thoughts and prayers go with you.

Hugs

Shirley

• Posted

I will do all of the above, although not sure I can actually eat anything, but the soak sounds lovely. 

You have been wonderful thank you x

• Posted

dear rose -

I so totally agree with everyone here ...  

you are so prepared and so are your darling children - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Very sad about the children's pets, and a good idea for the early Christmas party. Your children are lucky, they have a stable house and a very loving mum. They must have watched you suffer recently and so must be very aware that you are going to hospital to be made better. I am sure you will have told them that it will be slow and not instant and they must be keen to help on your return. If they understand that the separation from you is for your benefit and that the hospital is the place to help you, they will be positive about it.

good luck to you all

• Posted

Maggie you are incredibly insightful and kind. I am sure you are nurse or a professional of some kind from your posts. 

We have tried to make the separation a 'sleepover with Nanny', and have presents and sweeties, and a midnight feast organised as a surprise (will be more like 8pm not midnight) and a new film to watch with nanny and no school if they are feeling worried. And once I am home and can at least see them, and hear them and to be there even if I am unable to do anything for them will be a great relief.

It is not a bad thing for a child to realise they are not dependent on anyone, including their mum, that they can live and breathe perfectly without me. It will be a learning experience for all of us.

Thank you for your lovely post and vote of confidence. This bit  just before the operation, the waiting, it is not very nice, and it is a real comfort to have messages like yours. 

Thank you.

• Posted

No not a nurse, but a biomedical scientist in the microbiology lab at the hospital where I had the op.Also a mum, who was able to work safe in the knowledge that my kids were in good hands, and that is how I know how resilient and adaptable they can be. 

The nerves are horrible. I thought I was cool calm and collected until about 3 pm on the day before the op. Had a major meltdown and had to leave work early as I could no longer concentrate. Luckily my colleagues were understanding. Next morning I had to be at the hospital for 7 am and was icy calm. Was in the privileged situation that my husband works in the theatres transporting patients and he was detailed to take me up to the ward. The lady in the next bed put in a "complaint", she had not been kissed after he put her in the bed!

keep us posted

• Posted

Hi Rose

I'm so glad the wait is nearly over for you. And what terrible timing for your childen's pets. They are lucky to have such a sensitive loving mum.

Having a large surgery like this is so stressful partly because you don't know what it will be like. And on this site there is such a large range of experiences. I'd say do what is easiest for you. If it seems easier at home for you, then go. But if it's easier in hospital then stay till you feel comfortable. I couldn't have contemplated coming home even after 3 days. I was in too much pain.

Go gently with yourself, I'll be thinking of you

Keena

• Posted

Thank you kiki you have been so kind to me. A complete sense of calm and peace has come over me. And not a moment too soon! smile xxx
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

I've had 2 THR since late June, both times I was out of the hospital after 2 days, you will be fine at home if you have some assistance for the first week or so.  I hope all goes well, best of luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.