How to manage the pain?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. 

I'm trying to coupe with symptoms and think that I am starting to loose the battle.  Usually I'm very good at blocking out pain, but there are some days where I am just too tiered to do so and then its a very slippery slope.

Over the counter pain killers have been OK, the usual ibuprofen and Paracetamol. but recently doesnt seem to be touching it. This moring I took a couple of Co-Proxamol which doesnt seem to be touching it either. 

I've got Solpadol left over from an operation last year, and plan on taking that later this afternoon as a last resort. 

But I am interested in finding out if there are other ways to deal with the pain other then reaching for the king of all painkillers

With pain also comes shakes. 

any advise would be appreciated. 

Andy

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Andy,

Only proper solution is to do less I've found. Hot water bottle helps me and i take myself to bed. Its a tough job trying to balance things. I've spent The last couple of days having to rest again for doing too much on Saturday. Don't know if this helps but My friend who also has this, has used a spray before that makes the pain freeze?

Hope that helps

B

• Posted

Thanks Beverley

I'm going to pop into the chemist on my way home in a little while.  Do you know the name of that spray?

thought about the hot water battle but I dont have enough of them. today its both arms, both legs, my back and neck.  Cant get into see my GP there fully booked for the next 3 weeks, all they can offer is that I need to call them up at 8am everday. which will be another thing to try and remember.

my plan is a very hot shallow bath and see if that loosens anything. 

x

• Posted

Hi Andy,

Just texted and its called bio freeze. I know it used to help them. The good thing about having a friend with this Is they most definitely "get" what yr on about! We've been friends for more than 15 years and by sheer fluke both ended up with cfs/me a year apart. They got it after post viral fatigue, mine after car accident.

Sorry the pain is all over today. I hate those days where you have to ride it out : / out of curiosity, do you get the tinnitus as well? A few people seem to with cfs/me.

B

• Posted

Hi B

I sort of get a tinnitus thing happening. It's not a ringing though more a kind of wering pulse like sound which comes and goes with the head aches. It's almost like being in a soundproof room. If that makes sense. Never reported it as it's not constant. Do you think it's important?

Got more over the counter painkillers from pharmacy they said I can have ibuprofen every 8 hours and paracetamol every 4. Just taken a paracetamol waiting for it to kick in.

Picked up some deep heat spray maybe that could help. It's similar to deep freeze

X

• Posted

Hi Andy,

Re the tinnitus, just seems a shared symptom for a few people with cfs/me.

Have you been tested for fibromyalgia? Its similar cfs/me but with added pain It seems. Maybe worth looking at when you get to see doc.

Did the deep heat and painkillers help? Did you manage the bath as well? I find baths help just in relation to feeling better generally with this condition. I'm laying down again to level myself as I pushed myself to finish an assignment I have for a short course I've been doing at college. The portfolio submission date Is Thursday and although I've told them about my condition, pride wants to get it all in on time! One more bit to complete then that's it. I've been mostly In bed since Saturday so haven't been able to get things done. So much rest and nothing to show for it : 0

Hope you're feeling In less pain tomorrow.

B

• Posted

I hate this fall weather.  Through the fall and winter, I hurt like you can probably imagine.  When I can't take it anymore, I use Tramadol.  I know many who cannot tolerate well, but it does work for me without any side-affects.

Heating pads help as well in the pain in localized and not over the entire body.  Also stretching (lighltly) first thing in the morning and just before bed.

None of this is perfect, and there are still days that are near unbearable.  When that happens, I try to keep my mind occupied and distracted as much as possible without using energy.  Movies, reading, listening to books on CD (Audible) help with that.

Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks Ravenwood

I've got solpadol that I could use that is left left over worried it might add to the tiredness. I agree hot psds/water bottles are fine if localised not so good for all over.

New self discover hot baths help with pain but leave muscles feeling extremely weak. Laid down for an hour before trying now having to lay down again :-(. Can't seem to get a break

• Posted

Hi Andy, have you ever tried Amitriptyline?  The downside while you are taking it is that it worsens fatigue/drowsiness (or it did for me) so I didn't stay on it long term, but whilst I was on it my pain was mostly gone which was nice for a break and since I have come off it only some of the pain has returned, so even though it wasn't a full solution it was definitely worthwhile trying.  

I think I only managed to take it for 3 or 4 weeks at the most due to the drowsiness it caused which is far from ideal when you already suffer fatigue, but now I am out of the other side I can definitely say it was beneficial as I am still in probably less than half the pain than before taking it, although the pain seems to be slowly creeping back to various parts of my body (for me it's mostly joint pain) but its taking it's time thankfully. 

If you can't bear the idea of taking it for a period of time perhaps discuss with your Dr the possibility of just taking it occasionally to give you a break.  I have a relative who takes it this way, i'm not sure if it is meant to be used like this but I know they prescribe Trazadone in a similar manner to help with sleep, so that may be an alternative to consider if your pain is interupting your sleep.  Neither are longterm solutions but it may be worth considering just to give yourself short breaks from the pain.

I also use heat bags to put in the microwave depending on what pain I have but of course this only applies to small areas of pain at a time which isn't usually the case I know.

Although I would add that I do not suffer with shakes with pain so whether the same thing that would help me would help you I do not know.  

-----------------------------------

Hi Bev, interesting you mention about tinnitus, I think I have tinnitus but I am not sure as I also do not have what I would call ringing, it's more like a high pitch white-noise-fuzzy type sound.  I don't find it overly bothersome most of the time but is more intrusive at times. 

• Posted

Hi kirsty,

Yes it can at times be really annoying for me the tinnitus where its louder than outside noise! It comes on in short bursts so its not too bad and I tend to have It that bad only when I've seriously overdone things.

Just seems another common symptom

B

• Posted

Thanks kirsty.

I'm desperately trying to stay away from the heavy painkillers. Most of the pain has eased now might be the nurophen and paracetamol the pharmacy recommend.

Feels just like I've had a day in the gym. You know that muscle tightness feeling. Hope it doesn't ache tomorrow.

You described the tinnitus better than I did but I'm about the same as you.

• Posted

yep same here Bev, either if I have overdone things, or the other usual time is if I have eaten something I know I shouldn't.  I mentioned to my doc about it once and said I thought perhaps I had tinnitus but wasn't sure because of how it doesn't sound like the noise people usually describe, her voice said "yes it sounds like it is probably tinnitus" but her face said "hmmm sounds odd", but i'm not sure if that was to my symptom or my interpretation of it, I guess i will never know
    • Posted

Hi kirsty,

I find trying to explain symptoms quite hard. Sometimes its like when your trying to tune a radio (well one of the old types) and others its a bit squealing/hissing? And sometimes, when I've overdone it it can be like listening to, as above, someone moving the dial up and down channels. I'm also convinced its only one ear ; )

Its such a bizarre condition crs/me isn't it!

• Posted

Hi Andy

A friend of mine uses a tens machine and says it's really good. Not tried myself but thinking about giving it a go.

• Posted

Ooh that's a thought. I've got one somewhere which I used on my back well over a decade ago now. The pads are like dinner plaits but could be worth a try.

• Posted

Hi Andy,

I sometimes use a magnesium oil spray which I buy from a reputable health food shop. It tingles quite a bit when you first start using it. I can't say for definite if it helps me or if I just think it does, but it certainly seems to help ease the aches and pains, especially if I pre-empt it when I know I'll be in for a lot of pain.

• Posted

Magnesium spray. Wow that's sounds like a great idea. I'll look into that. I know minerals are supposed to be good for muscles if not the skin.

Thanks sueliz57

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.