How to rid herpes outbreak quickly

Posted , 54 users are following.

I'm about 4 days into my outbreak and I am in TERRIBLE pain. I feel as if I get more and more blisters and they are so painful. Baths aren't as soothing anymore and peeing is horrifying. I'm also have trouble cleaning down there due to the painful blisters. Please any advice would be a blessing

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Antiseptic gels are the best. It refreshs the genital area and y gonna feel so much more comfortable.. Don't use any tight underwear.. At least I can't even support any type of lingerie while having outbreaks its just horrible. Fill the bath with warm water and let the body be in contact with the water before u try to pee, it helps so much! Also, having the right nutrition helps.. Drink lots of water, do what relaxs you!

• Posted

I would say keep bathing in salt baths.. plenty of salt!! Keep the area dry and wee in the bath or shower as often as you can to ease the pain. I know your pain girl!! Also if it's that painful and feels 'too dry' once you've done all that.. some Vaseline can help a little too.

• Posted

Just rinse with water, keep it clean and dry, and I would avoid applying lots of things to the area, other than acyclovir cream (antiviral), zinc oxide (neutral cream and drying agent used for diaper rash, etc.) and/or lidocaine (topical pain relief). Drink lots of water to keep your pee diluted, so that it burns less.
  • Posted

Antiseptic gel works. In some cases, it may be treated with the intravenous (IV) drug acyclovir.
  • Posted

Antiseptic gels contain alcohol, which is going to sting unnecessarily. IV acyclovir is only for really serious cases, never routine treatment. Usually the pills only, or the cream works for some people, especially for recurrences.
  • Posted

When I had my first outbreak, I was basically bedridden for a week, i couldn't even walk without pain.

But no matter what you need to keep the area clean. I made sure i washed when i first woke up, and before i went to sleep.

1. extra strong pain killers - I buy over-the-counter ibprofen with codine tablets, work a treat.

2. sleeping pills to help you sleep through pain like a trooper (at night).

3. microwave heatpack - during the day i would lay a warm one over my entire area, and at first it was uncomfortable from the pressure, but the heat really does wonders. I DO NOT MEAN HOT THOUGH. dont burn your junk.

4. sleep naked. helps air get to the ulcers and blisters.

5. keep soaking in that bath, helps keep it clean cause the gross puss you cant wipe away just falls off usually.

6. vaseline is your best friend, once the area is clean, it helps keep it clean, and also protects the wounds from being touched, either by clothes or by your... flaps. also i found it made walking easier. OH also, helps to pee, cause its protecting to wounds from getting covered in pee. not 100% but a good 80% success rate.

7. dont ever listen to these bitches on here suggesting tea tree down there. dear god. trying it myself was the dumbest thing ive ever experiemented with, and didn't help the healing, and made the pain worse - its instead good for the coldsore wounds. painful. but works.

8. numbing cream. so, I was diagnosed in a sexual health clinic thing, and they refused to prescribe anything to help the pain saying that numbing creams are dangerous in large quantities - Pharmacy wouldnt sell me anything without a prescription. I went to emergency department in the hospital who gave me Lignocaine 2% gel and basically said go nuts. oh my god, this gel literally was my salvation and i used it sparingly for the rest of my outbreak until i ran out (mainly before i went to pee, or rare times of if i needed to leave my house) - I now have over the counter "Numit 5% cream" which is "Lidocaine (Lignocaine) 2.5% w/w" - I'm no science major so I'm hoping this works the same when i need it to. ALSO, apply with clean disposable rubbler gloves.

9. DO NOT FORGET YOUR MEDICATION - stops the outbreak in its tracks, doesn't heal it, but stops more forming. 

Personally, i wouldnt recommend using sanitary towels for the discharge, cause that added friction is just unneccsary to healing the woulds - I instead just went commando, wearing loose fitting clothes (which for me was a bodycon dress - cause it was comfy and couldnt flash people cause it doesnt move in the wind), and carried spare underwear (when i had to go out in underwear).

Also wouldn't recommend using antiseptic creams - i tried them, they make the pain SO SO SO SO much worse. they're probably useful in helping heal the wounds, but oh my god, the pain is intense.

In terms of peeing, I had a system of many steps, that helped.

okay, so the numbing gel works 100% for peeing, but i was using it sparingly, so i didn't use it all that much for peeing (or if i did, tiny tiny amounts, then put vaseline everywhere).

my steps were:

1. cover area in vaseline, and i literally mean everywhere.

2. heat up my heatpack ready, to soothe the area after.

3. i used 2 pieces of neatly folded kitchen towel - one dampened completely in warm water, the other in freezing cold.

4. so i read some girl had success peeing at an angle, so i found my angle, which is a standing kinda of squat, leaning enough forward that the pee would fall either straight into the toilet, or would run down flaps that are not covered in wounds.

5. when i could bare touching the area, i would also try to hold open the flaps cause that reduces the pain of the pee touching anything.

6. straight after peeing, i experienced pain, but far less pain than trying to pee like a regular person, so i would put the warm paper towel over the area to soothe, and wipe (but dont literally wipe), then the freezing cold one for the same reason - Although the order of cold and warm one changed each time. The cold one helped the best straight after peeing.

7. heatpack straight on!!!!!!!! literally. helped get rid of the pain or make it more bareable.

I dont know if you already know this, or if this is/isnt your first outbreak, but i really wish i came across someone who wrote far more than neccessary to help me deal with this. which by the way, i didn't, and i read many many replies to other threads.

I hope this helps you in anyway.

• Posted

I’m currently experiencing my first herpes breakout and I’ve never known pain like this, I can’t pee without crying in pain and I ent up giving up so I am desperate to go, I’ve tried creams, Vaseline, shower and baths,  water bottles, everything and it’s still completely unbearable I’m begging someone to give me some advice other than these methods I am desperate!!!!
    • Posted

Omg i wish i gaff this a week ago! Great insight thank you!!
    • Posted

Thank you for being so honest. I sprayed Tea Tree oil that I bought at Walmart & it brought me some relief directly out of a hot soak. All good advice. I haven't even had sex bc my bf is in Texas so why am i breaking outbreak. Btw the sore has never been confirmed but Dr says I have been exposed person a random blood test.

• Posted

This was so nice to hear as I am suffering the exact same way. I’ve been dealing with an outbreak for about a week now and just yesterday came to the realization it’s actually Herpes after I spent all week trying to convince myself it was a heat rash, finally went to the doctors, got tested and am just waiting for the results to confirm but I obviously know it is what it is. So I’m in the same boat as you were, waiting for medication and being refused from all the pharmacies, missing work and in a great deal of unbearable pain. Not sure if you will still see this as it says it’s from a year ago but hopefully you do. I was hoping you’d be able to explain a little more what you do to keep clean every day? Do you just use hot cloths or any cream or soap or anything? I’m obviously having a very hard time wiping as mine is spread in the back and front and I feel so gross after and just in general. Is it safe to put on Vaseline at all times or only certain? Is it worth it to try and go out and get numbing creams or anything at all for the pain? I’m kick at have t3’s but they honestly aren’t even helping anymore. I’m sorry if this is kind of repetitive and I am so appreciative of your first reply. 
    • Posted

Hello steph! I know you may be looking for advice from Onikuma since she was so very insightful. With that being said after reading your response I found that you and I are in the same exact boat right now.  I too have had every symptom of herpes this past week and have been in denial up until I went to the emergency room yesterday.  Luckily my doctor immediately prescribed me medicine to stop the outbreak even though I’m still waiting for my results,  he knew exactly what my status was. To keep my area clean, the best most soothing way is for me to do salt soaks. Since I don’t have the time to fill a tub with sea salt every time I need to cleanse ( which is at least twice a day) , I purchased a plastic tub/pan  that’s big enough for me to rest my bum in and soak for about 15 minutes in warm sea salt water.

I found that it’s the fastest and most efficient way to properly clean and sterilize my wounds. If there’s any excess pus or anything it will soak of or it detaches enough for you to wipe it away gently with tissue.

And once I’m done I use a blow dryer to dry myself. 

Now my doctor  unfortunately did not prescribe a topical cream to numb the pain that has been so EXCRUCIATING. 

But luckily I just so happened to have a friend that gave me her lidocaine that her doctor prescribed and it is a GAME CHANGER. You may be able to find an over the counter equivalent but if not I’d recommend the Vaseline but use it sparingly. You don’t want to suffocate your wounds. Good luck !!

• Posted

this is a great thread. I appreciate the lidocaine tip!  My friend found some in the first aid isle, with the exact same ingredients as other places in the store (say hemorrhoid cream).  the Vaseline might be a good idea if pee'ing is painful and you put it on ahead of time, but the best thing you can do is keep it dry. I have been suffering for over 14 yrs with this, and I can tell you, sitting with no pants on a towel on the couch with the fan going in front of you helps really dry things up.  The only other good thing I have found is charmine adult wipes, it really helps to not have to rake the soar area with dry toilet paper.  one good wipe and its clean, and dries very quickly. 

And to Onikuma, you crack me up ! Great advice, and handled a bad situation with a sense of humor. Thank you!  

I did see someone post they didn't know where they got it because their bf was out of town? If I misread that I'm sorry, if I didn't, this can sit dormant in your body for yrs and maybe for some, forever. You didn't just catch this. 

• Posted

Hi there! Thank you thank you thank you! I appciate all these comments as I am going through this terrible time as well it is nice to know I’m not alone. I have been stuck at home the past week due to having the flu on top of this lovely herpes outbreak and so I’ve just been rinising off in the shower numerous times a day but today is my first day back to work and I may have to look into the bucket idea. I ended up going back to the doctor I got tested at in hopes my results were there and 5 days later.. they still aren’t. I’m in so much pain and so stressed out. It is brutal. My next step I guess is going to hunt down some lidocaine cream as someone below said I should be able to find it in first aid isle. Thank you again to everyone who has responded. I am so thankful and I hope you are all recovering fast! 
    • Posted

Again thank you for replying! Very helpful! I am new to having herpes, this is my first outbreak and I’m sure you know exactly what I’m going through. I haven’t really had a doctor explain anything about it to me so this thread has done great wonders. I’m also just wondering now is if the only way the sores go away is from medication or will it just take time? Thanks again. I appreciate this tons! 
    • Posted

I can answer that. LOL  They will go away, with or without the meds. with or without doing anything to them. The first out break and sometimes a few after are the worst you will ever get. I went 10 yrs after my first few without ever having another one.  I have found when I am under a great amount of stress that lasts for a while, I get one now. I do take the pills - keep them on hand- at the first sign of an out break - usually tingling - just to nip it in the bud and get it done faster. it does help. Its hard to ask a dr about this- but hopefully you have one that can give you the pills to toss in a drawer to take the first couple days to knock it down to just annoying and not unable to walk. LOL This is a great thread, in that often I worry about advice, but this one seems pretty good. keep it dry- and dont touch them- if so wash well. It can spread to your eyes or open wounds if you were to touch a sore and then an eye or a cut. BUT it is a weak virus - so washing well kills it immediately. I think it dies on a dry surface in less than an minute? Its quick - so spreading it is difficult, unless you have sex, of course. For that you want to wait till its gone gone gone. The only bad news is, you are contagious before you know the outbreak is coming sometimes - so best to warn partners and do some easy research. I have been careful, and after 14 yrs, my partner does NOT have it.  Hope some of that helps, if theres anything else, dont hesitate to ask!  PS tons of people have it, and dont have symptoms - so dont feel alone in this one. smile

• Posted

PS - herpes can have exact flu like symptoms! you might just have an outbreak, and not the flu? It can make you think you do, trust me! 
    • Posted

Hello guys, I am from manila and I am also experiencing it, I cannot take the pain, right now I am bed ridden, I also dont know which hospital will I go, It is so painful, and its 4 days, i cant find those cream here in manila, any suggestion?
    • Posted

I am in the same boat as the both of you. I felt the symptoms on  Sunday but did not notice anything other than a bit of pain inserting a tampon. By the time Thursday rolled around I had small bumps and a bit of pain. I left it all weekend because I didn't want to hear what I knew I would hear from the doctor. Well, I went to the doctor today (Monday) and have been diagnosed. I have not received lab work, but the doctor was quite sure. I am currently laying in bed with constant stinging pain. I have taken Motrin to hopefully stop the intense swelling. I am going to take some time off work to rest. I have told my two best friends, and they are very supportive. This f*****g sucks a lot sad

• Posted

I'm so happy to ready that your partner dosnt have it! Like how! Lol idk much about all of this and that's my biggest fear 

• Posted

Have you managed to get a doctor to book you off work?
    • Posted

Great advice, that will definately be kept in mind for the future. I also wanted to share with you how i get through an outbreak. As soon as i notice the tingling, i get my neosporin ready ! Yes it works wonders and its so gentle. Then i go to walmart & get the anti-itch cream for yeast infections. Take a warm bath every time you pee (if you can) and then apply fresh ointment to each wound, and then add the anti-itch cream on top with vaseline to cover it completely. I can go for hours without a problem down there. That is, until its time to pee again. Peeing doesnt hurt anymore but the aftermath is terrible. But i deffinately have noticed a huge reduction in pain. We will overcome this!! Hell , may get lucky and they find a cure while we are still alive!! 

• Posted

lifesaver you are so rught wish i seen this going through my first days i literally thought i was going ti kill myself the pain was unbearable i tried so hard not to pee i peed myself tmi lol but i was really gooing though it i just wanted to give up

• Posted

I haven't been able to find my "angle" to urinate and it's like giving birth to Satan anytime I have to urinate. I have been using Vaseline but it rubs off onto my panties before my next trip to the restroom. I have heard lemon balm creams and such work wonders but I can't afford it and I also don't have insurance to be able to go to the hospital for the numbing cream. This is my first outbreak and let me tell ya, I have never experienced such pain in my entire life. My sores are in clusters and everything is super swollen and just overall horrid down there. Thank you for your suggestions, I'll have to give them a try

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with herpes like today and I couldnt agree more when u said during the pee time, its like giving birth to satan!!!! i laughed seriously but Im gonna cry later on when i pee 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 helpppp

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.