How to take coconut oil and stool softeners question

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I am going to make this as short as possible. I am male 52 Y.O. in the USA.

I used to eat like a pig, get constipated, forcing like an animal while on the toilet.

I developped a fissure and 3 hemorhoids.

I am getting the hemorrhoids currently banded (1 done so far.)

The fissure is absolutely killing me at times.

After a bowel movement, I have to count 7 hours to be totally pain free (The pain is off and on, not all the time.)

I have changed my diet a 100%. I eat a high fiber diet, drink 3 quarts of water daily.

Still when I have to go to the bathroom, the first like 3 or 4 inches of my poop are hard enough to force me to strain to evacuate. I know it's a NO NO to force.

I just read a lot about my condition and am going to try 2 things:

The first one is coconut oil. Some people make suppositories out of them, I don't really feel at first like doing that.

Shall I put some coconut oil in a bath twice a day? How much oil in the bath?

Shall I instead apply some with my fingers on the outside of my anus?

My doctor gave me a cream that had to be mixed from a compound center and it doesn't seem to help.

Second are stool softeners which I was trying to avoid but have no choice to use.

I read to stay away from "Laxatives" which your body becomes dependent on, and use just simple "Stool softeners".

I am looking at either "Dulcolax" or "Colace". Does anyone has any experience with stoll softeners?

Any input with anything above will be greatly appreciated.

Thxs a lot

Pat

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Vaindioux,

I would not recommend inserting suppositories up your rectum. This will only increase pain. Instead very hot sitz bath after every bowel movement. Stool softeners twice a day. Have a meal or anti-aids to coat your stomach for 600 mg Ibuprofen and 325mg tylenol twice a day. This will decrease pain and swelling in your rectum. Baby wipes alcohol free. Warm to hot water to clean your anus with a facet bidet or shower sprayer. Have you seen a Colorectal Surgeon? Nifedipine ointment twice a day after bowel movement. Hot wheat bag you can microwave to sit on or heating pad you can put under yourself in bed. Drink plenty of water. Take your fiber. Don't give up until you are fully healed. LIS (Sphincterotomy) is a good choice, Kenalog Protocol is what I had done in March 2019. Botox seems like a waste of time but too each their own. I am pain free now but still healing from 2 deep anal fissures. It was a nightmare before and 3 months after surgery. There's hope for people like us. I hope my suggestions help as well.

• Posted

correction

anti-acids, auto correct put in anti-aids smh.

• Posted

Whissler

I will not do the coconut oil suppositories, I had my doubts about that anyway. I have stopped taking my fiber supplement for now and just get fiber from food. I m also cutting the amount of food I eat.

I just took a sitz bath with coconut oil, I want to give that a shot as I read so many posters here that swear by it.

I just started taking stool softeners (Not laxatives).

Can you rephrase the following sentence if you don't mind, as I don't get it:

"Have a meal or anti-aids to coat your stomach for 600 mg Ibuprofen and 325mg tylenol twice a day."

Do you recommend taking something called an anti acid? Then painkillers?

I am using alcohol free wipes.

I haven't seen a surgeon, just a gastroenterologist who is currently banding my hemorrhoids, he also prescribed me a cream that has no name for my fissure. It's made by the order.

Nifedipine, is that by prescription?

I drink plenty of water.

Thxs so much for the help

Pat

• Posted

yes, I meant food or anti acids before taking any NSAIDs like Ibuprofen with 325mg Tylenol twice a day. sorry for the miscommunication. I mentioned Nedfidpine ointment because it's great stuff by needs to be prescribed. Keep it up. I know right now you want relief as soon as possible. I hope I can help 😃

• Posted

i will mention that cream to my doctor when I see him. I m very curious.

I will update here when i get better.

Thxs so much

Pat

• Posted

hi,

Can you explain the Kenalog proocedure please? what do they do to you?

• Posted

yes, stay away from laxatives and only use stool softeners.

i would suggest movicol or lactulose.

magnesium citrate or mag oxide is very good too. keeps the stool soft as well as small, so it's easy to pass.

sometimes too much fibre and too much water can make the poo really big. you need to find the right balance plus a stool softener that suits you.

also keep the area clean. don't wipe, it will aggravate the fissure. use water to clean and dab to dry instead. i would suggest to buy a portable bidet, you can find them on amazon called portable shower/bidet or musIim shower. they are cheap.

also, have you tried diltiazem cream and rectogesic cream?

• Posted

Berternie

You are not kidding about having bulky stools. That's what is happening to me and I pretty much eat only fruits and veggies right now. I have stopped using fiber supplements, I read it's better to get fiber from real food.

About cleaning myself after a bowel movement, are you saying not even use alcohol free wipes???

Just warm water? I thought the area had to stay clean? Hard to do without a wipe. Thanks to clarify if possible.

I will look into the bidet.

No I haven't tried the 2 creams you mentioned.

Thxs so much for helping me

Pat

• Posted

not just water. when i say portable bidet, i'm talking about a shower head spray, the water as well as the pressure of the water cleans the backside completely without aggravating the fissure. use tissue to dry, but dab instead of wipe.

but if the wipes are cleaning you without aggravating your fissure, then continue.

• Posted

if you can hook the shower head up to have warm/hot water its cleans and sooths even better. then sit on hot wheat bag for 15 mins. I’ve tried all sorts of painkillers and tried everything else nothing gives me more relief than a red hot wheat bag through jeans or pants.

• Posted

hi,

if you can, take a hot bath before and after BM. Also i used vasoline up there before BM too. Ensure you wash ya bum do not wipe it. Set up a shower nozzle near your toilet asap.

• Posted

dont take too much fiber, ur initially stool is hard bcos of too much fiber and less water content in yr body and due to stress..... take magnesium supplements in the form of magnesium citrate..... no calcium only magnesium and while taking drink 1 big glass of water. i take 200 mg magnesium supplement with every meal and nothing has ever helped me like this. magnesium absorbs water when it passes through intestine and stool become soft but not bulky in case of fiber.... you will thank me just try this for 1 week and then may be after 1 month of healing u can eat again like a pig

• Posted

dont take too much fiber, ur initially stool is hard bcos of too much fiber and less water content in yr body and due to stress..... take magnesium supplements in the form of magnesium citrate..... no calcium only magnesium and while taking drink 1 big glass of water. i take 200 mg magnesium supplement with every meal and nothing has ever helped me like this. magnesium absorbs water when it passes through intestine and stool become soft but not bulky in case of fiber.... you will thank me just try this for 1 week and then may be after 1 month of healing u can eat again like a pig

• Posted

Tejtar

Yes I have seen the magnesium supplement mentioned quite often. Any brand in particular, or it does not matter? So 200mg daily right?

I usually shop on amazon and costco and would buy a generic.

Thxs again, I m going to try it.

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.