How to take Naltrexone on a full life schedule

Posted , 10 users are following.

This will be my last post for awhile as I only have one concern.  I am afraid to take this due to the next day side effects.  I have a full schedule as I have a lot going on.  I have dental appointments, work, work meetings, outpatient counseling, group therapy, etc... I cannot find ONE day that I have nothing going the next day.  June perhaps, but NOTHING in May.  People say the next day could be tough to function and I am extremely nervous about starting this when I can't find a day I have nothing going on.  I am functioning alcoholic except for last Thursday evening, ugh!  So, since I function on alcohol I also have things planned. Should I wait until I have time in June or how can I fit this into a full planned month?   

1 like, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes I do drink on and off. Last year I managed 5 months sober, but since then I've been going several weeks sober and then binge. Now I'm on naltrexone, I'm a lot better. Can honestly say that when I do choose to drink( 1 hour after naltrexone) I don't drink more than 1 bottle of wine, usually less( used to drink 3 times that amount. 

I have tried so many times to become abstinent but unfortunately i just can't do that. And I had to face reality in the end. I'm doing really well on the Sinclair method, though it's not been plain sailing. 

In my opinion, if I was you, you say you want total sobriety, campral is the route I would choose. 

Like everything in life though, we are all different, so what works for one may not work for others. But please keep us posted xx

• Posted

I agree - whatever works.  As I see on here everyone is different in their sobriety. 

I have my faith because I had 11 years sober and used no medications.  The one thing I learned in rehab that is certainly true is that when you relapse you don't realize it picking up slowly on you and when you try to quit it's ten times harder than the first time.  I need to stop the cycle of drinking in my family.  I see my son (who is 23) struggling with it although he's in denial and I used to be a role model and three years ago I started drinking and feel as if I disappointed him.  

I remember someone talking about Camral.  I will definitely look into it.

Once again, if that does not work I'll try the naltrexone.  

• Posted

I'd just suggest staying away from the white-knuckle route. Some can do that ok (and that's what they should do), while some just crash harder and harder again for their sweat and pain. It's the cascading relapses that are to be avoided, especially when the next is worse than the one before. That's where you have to step in and kill the craving with whichever proper med that gets the job done for you. 

Sorry to hear your son is caught up in this too. Maybe get him a copy of the book? Perhaps if he knew there was a way that he could cut back without having to put it down completely, that would lower the threshold for him. Once he's drinking less, he may like the feeling of not being so poisoned by the drink and maybe he'll put it down entirely. 40% of people that use TSM do end up abstaining.

• Posted

Straight abstinence with willpower alone. It works for about 10% of alcoholics. The term refers to having to face strong cravings with only willpower and social support (AA, SmartRecovery, etc).
    • Posted

Never knew calpol worked for addiction..lol! Used to give it to my babies when they were ill. Thinking you mead campral !! X
    • Posted

predictive text..mean not mead!!
    • Posted

OMG I swear I've not touched a drop! What a Pratt I am. Cannot believe I wrote calpol instead of  campral ( I blame insomnia!!)

SORRY FOLKS, CALPOL IS GIVEN TO KIDS, I SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN CAMPRAL!!!!!!!!!! 

• Posted

Ha ha..think everyone realised but I couldn't let it go...xx
    • Posted

Paper

im so glad you didn't let it go, thank you. I've got visions of people going from chemist to chemist buying calpol lol!

my daughter has only just stopped laughing. I had to call and see her at work, (she's manager of a home for people with mental health issues) .

They were doing medication when I got there, and all the staff were laughing about a linctus given to children, which is now used to stop cravings.

i can see the funny side now, b

• Posted

I know Vickylou, it really did make me laugh,.was ready to go and buy all the calpol from the local chemist !!! Glad we can have a laugh about these things!! Still not heard from misssy but she's in my prayers..

Catch up after your jolly holly  xx

• Posted

Paper fairy

yes defo once I'm back we'll fix a date, provided we're in a good phase. Otherwise it would be the blind leading the blind lol!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.