how to treat gastritis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.

I'm new to this forum. I'm a 32 yr old male and I've had gastritis for 3 months now. 2 months back I had an upper scope (EGD) performed that showed gastritis and biopsies were negative for h. Pylori. Well just last week I had another upper scope done. Still waiting on biopsy but the Dr did say the gastritis has gotten much worse. I've been taking prilosec 40mg, carafate (liquid) and pepcid for my symptoms and to help heal the gastritis but its not helped much. I've also been on a very strict bland diet as recommend. I've had ct scan, stool samples, blood work, stress test, EKG's, and urine samples that were all ok. My gastritis causes me nausea, dizziness, head fog, burning in the upper abdomen and chest and a lump feeling in the throat. My biggest question is why are the drugs I'm taking not helping much? Could I possibly have bile reflux since the ppi isn't working? Also anyone know any soothing remidies or foods for gastritis? Any replies much appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey BubbaJames, I beat it naturally. (Not a health but or anything like that, I just didnt like the side effects on the meds they prescribed) I switched to a bland diet, you can Google diets for gastritis. Basically lean baked chicken and fish, veggies, rice. I eliminated sugar, alcohol, processed foods and dairy.
    • Posted

I am so happy April with nature lovers.. I always say and recommend papaya,aloe ferox, fennel..to name a few for digestive disturbance,including chronic constipation.. and even if these are not readily available..there are also herbal products or all natural products that can be good substitute..Go green! Go Natural!
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply April912. I also don't like taking the meds. I'm trying to cut back on them and eventually stop taking them. I've been following a similar diet like you mentioned and it does help.
  • Posted

hi BubbaJames... have you tried cardamom and fennel seeds? cardamom has natural healing properties that can help with the irritation..and fennel contibutes to neutralizing digestive juices or secretions..may you find immedate relief.. sorry this is not much to help..hope i can do more.
    • Posted

I haven't tried them no but I'll put them in my notes and possibly try those out. I'd like to stop the prescription drugs and go more natural. Thanks for the response!
  • Posted

Ps: Ice packs became my best friend, soothing the burn and irritation. Stay away from citric acid, pepper, salt.

Mylanta would help with soothing it as well. DGL tablets soothe as well

• Posted

It took me 2 courses of anti biotics to get rid of gastritis and it was only a few days after the anti biotics finished that I started to feel a bit better.
  • Posted

Latest update. I've been waiting on biopsy results from both a upper scope and a colonoscopy. So I got the results in today. The Doctor said nothing cancerous which was good news but he went on to tell me he suspects celiac disease😣. He ordered special blood work to help confirm so I'm having blood work done later today. Does anyone know if celiacs could be what's causing my gastritis?
    • Posted

I'd say that there is a good chance they are connected , the best bit is at least you have a possible diagnosis, that's what a lot of us are seeking, good luck
    • Posted

Yeah that's true. Finding the underlying issue would be a good thing. Kinda bittersweet I guess. Thank you for the reply Trisha
    • Posted

My results from the blood work (comprehensive celiac panel) came back negative for Celiacs. The doctor said continue all meds and follow up in a month. The meds don't work much and its so frustrating! I made an appoint with a new GI doctor out of my frustration.
    • Posted

That's a shame, I hate when you don't get the answers, it's so frustrating, a lot of the doctors just tell you after endoscopy that all their resources are exhausted and just keep taking the anti acids, even though you have scarring and inflammation of the stomach, I was told that again on Friday, and I've had this problem for years, the pain just wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. I asked doc so I just have to live with this pain? He replied yes and that was it.😁
    • Posted

I still think I possibly may have some food sensitivities. Should I maybe try seeing a nutritionist? I have been avoiding gluten since the day of my blood work and I seemed to be feeling a little better.
    • Posted

I asked for a food allergies test, and was told I'd have to pay for it myself, it's totally crazy.
    • Posted

I don't understand all this. I was diagnosed with Gerd in January, had endoscopy and colonoscopy on the 10th, was told everything looked fine, asked if I could stop nexium, told,yes, and to take Zantac as needed. I still have stomach issues, nothing has changed much, so how can everything be fine now, and my Gerd is supposedly gone? Makes no sense. Where do we go from here? 
    • Posted

That's why I'm going to see a different doctor. I started having stomach issues in February and I don't feel much better currently. The meds only seem to surpress a few of the symptoms and i know that's not fixing the problem.
    • Posted

I see my GI tomorrow for follow up for the procedures, so will be questioning him a lot. Need answers to this madness. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.