how to work out new drug driving law of 550 mcg/l of diazepam into how many mg of tablets!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi.

i am currently prescribed 8mg of diazepam daily and have seen that a new drug drive law (in the uk) says you will be illegally driving under the influence if you have more than 550 micrograms per litre in your bloodstream.

i have been on diazepam for 10 years and i'm on a tapering regime and my doctor is wanting to try me on beta blockers and lamotrigine in 6 weeks time when i reduce down to 7mg.

what i am wanting to know is, is the 8mg i am currently prescribed off my doctor and dvla say (at the moment) im okay to drive on actualy illeagal under the new drug driving law?

I wish i could wave a magic wand to come off these evil tablet but as you will all know it is not so easy.

any help will be great.

thanks in advance and merry xmas

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well thats not good news sad

Just come back from a doctors appointment and my doctor has said it is equivalent to around 3 and a half mg (3.5mg) and yes it will effect my licence after March 2015 sad

What i was just told is it depends on the size of the person and it can vary from 3mg upto 5mg and from March doctors have to inform the appropriate authorities (i take that as dvla) and if for any reson you are drugalised and come over the 550mcg/l it will be a criminal offence as is drink driving.

my doctor has now put me on beta blockers to help anxiety and heart palpitations and asked when i feel ready to drop 1 mg as to try to get my prescription down to the legal dose by March.

i now have no option as if i loose my licence i loose my job so this has a massive impact on myself as im sure it will have on houndreds more people.

well what can you say apart from what a stupid law this is they have brought in sad

• Posted

Complete lunacy..that they will allow cannabis and extasy in small amounts in a driver when it is illegal to take them ...mobile phones kill more people...can't see it coming in in its present form ..don't worry 
    • Posted

From what i understand the only drug they will allow traces of is amphetamines. Cannabis is so small amount that only passive smoking would pass the test, mdma (ecstasy) is zero tolerance.

Diazepam is the highest benzo they are allowing in your system other Z's are alot lower.

well this is a no option for myself i have no option but to get down to 5mg or lower (which i expressed to my doctor i feel it would be more dangerous me driving on that small amount as i will be a lot more anxious, and my doctor agreed with me)

But hay ho thats the new law so theres nothing that can be done about it sad

#feeling_gutted

• Posted

Hi

we d0nt have t0 take th1s - lets wr1te a letter 0ur mps w1th Drs supp0rt? and each 0thers - expla1nng the ab0ve.. 

S0rry t0 hear that, f0r us all - where 1s the l0g1c! 

• Posted

They dnt allw cannbs r exatasy at all zer0 percent - 1ts just 1f yu are n prescrptn meds they nfrm the DVLA- lunacy! 
    • Posted

Cannabis 

(active ingredient Tetrahydrocannibol or THC)     2 micrograms per litre    

Cocaine                                                             10 micrograms per litre

BZE benzoylecgonine

(main breakdown product of cocaine)                50 micrograms per litre Methamphetamine                                          10 micrograms per litre  

‘Ecstasy’ (MDMA)

(illicit drug linked to ‘clubbing’)                            10 micrograms per litre

Ketamine 

(anaesthetic misused in ‘clubbing’)                     20 micrograms per litre

LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide)                           1 microgram per litre 

Heroin- 6-monoacetylmorphine 

(6-MAM - heroin and diamorphine)                       5 micrograms per litre

Amphetamine                                                        To be decided

(illicit drug also prescribed for treatment of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder) 

Prescribed drugs                                            Threshold in blood: (microgram/litre - µg/L)  

• Posted

you Are allowed these illicit substances 
    • Posted

2mcg/L of cannabis is what they say you would have in your system if you had passive smoking (accidentally in hayling it whilst somebody else was smoking a cigarette)

My doctor has had letters from DVLA asking for all patiants on certain prescription and 550 micro grams per litre of blood is the new legal lim8t (if on a prescription) with zero if non prescribed as you cant get passive inhalation off a tablet like you can from a cigarette. .m

• Posted

S0rry ab0ut keyb0ard

have just sp0ken t0 t0p pr1vate Dr wh0 w0rks w1th the DVLA-

th1s 1s DEF1NATELY happen1ng. 

N0 matter h0w l0ng y0u have been 0n them, 1f y0u are 0n 0ver 550mgs y0u are n0t all0wed t0 dr1ve

sad

1m s0 s0rry 1 d0nt kn0w what t0 say

h1s sugguest10n was t0 g0 0n expens1ve ant1 depressants/physch0t1cs - qu1etp1ne/0lanazap1ne 

• Posted

Yes this is what my doctor told me today. It is how ever 550 mcg per liter of blood which on avrage is 3.5mg of tablet foam. There is no getting out of it as dvla has asked for all patiants on benzos and other meds on the list. I beleave you will then receive a letter to goto a dvla medical at which point if you are over the 550mcg/l (3.5mg) your licence will be revolked for a 1 yr period untill you can apply for another medical where they will advise you to drop to the (new legal) limit or be denied a licence.

Im on new meds as of today and starting to get my diazepam lowered to 4mg a day (as my doc said im a little larger than average) so i should pass on 4mg.

#bad_times

• Posted

1 feel s0rry f0r pe0ple wth dependence, 1 can just stp tak1n 1t althugh my anxety 1s a c0ncern.

what 0ther meds has yur dr sugguested?

M1ne sa1d ant1phsychtcs -

1 d0nt have that s0rt 0f 1llness???

th1s 1s the craz1est th1ng the g0vernment has ever d0ne - apparently th1s 1s safe t0 dr1ve 0n,

1 c0py and paste s1de effects

{sens1tvty t0 l1ght!?!?}

Common quetiapine side-effects - these affect around 1 in 10 people who take this medicine What can I do if I experience this?

Feeling dizzy or light-headed when you stand up This can happen particularly when you first start taking quetiapine. Getting up more slowly until you are aware how you react should help

Feeling sleepy or drowsy, blurred vision If this happens, do not drive or use tools or machines

Indigestion, feeling or being sick Stick to simple meals - avoid rich or spicy foods

Dry mouth Try chewing sugar-free gum or sucking sugar-free sweets

Constipation Eat a well-balanced diet containing plenty of fruit, vegetables and fibre. Drink several glasses of water each day

Headache Ask your pharmacist to recommend a suitable painkiller

Feeling shaky, increased appetite and weight, unusual or uncontrollable movements, feeling restless Speak with your doctor about any of these. Your treatment may need adjusting

Increased number of infections such as coughs and colds, abnormal dreams or nightmares, swollen feet or ankles, feeling irritable If any of these become troublesome, speak with your doctor

Important: if you experience any 'flu-like' symptoms including muscle stiffness, with a high 

But d1azepam 1s nt safe t0 dr1ve 0n??? madness 

• Posted

My doctor did mension a few but after having a good chat and seeing what will not reflect with the dvla my doc said to go on beta blockers and possably intraduce lamotrigine into it when im down lower on the diazepam.

theres going to be a lot of people having a shock come March/April next year.

i totaly disagree with this new decision but it is the law so will have no choice but to go with it...

• Posted

they are tryng t stp sleepng plls aswell but cant currently test n bl00d as such a shrt half lfe lol they want t stp zlpderm/zplclne - b0th 0f wh1ch 1 have been 0n and never effected my drvng. They have the expensve and fattenng antphyschtcs/depressants they seem want everyne 0n 1nstead. 
  • Posted

We have t0 get them t0 change the law?!? have y0u heard ab0ut the New Era Estate? Th1s law 1s n0t des1gned f0r publ1c g00d 1ts n0nsense. 1ts pr0f1t dr1ven pure and s1mple, 1m c0ntemplat1ng su1c1de 0ver th1s, cry1ng my eyes 0ut. 1 cant g0 back t0 be1ng 1mpr1s0ned by anx1ety, 1m a g00d pers0n, 1 dr1ve well, 1 need my med1cat10n, 1 am devestated. 1ts s0 WR0NG
    • Posted

Iv just looked on google and it says do not stop taking your medication. Best thing to do is book an appointment to see your gp like i have and speak to them. After all they are the experts smile

Like i said my doc has found other meds i can try im sure if you ask your doc the same they will find diffrent meds to put you on also. 

All we can all do is sit and wait and see what happens in March, its not werth worrying about untill they put out the official law and then im pretgy sure thete wull be a time laps where people can see there doctors for new options on medications etc.... i have just made my apointment early before the law is in effect and this will give me the little kick up the back side i need to help come off these horrible tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.