how to work out new drug driving law of 550 mcg/l of diazepam into how many mg of tablets!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi.

i am currently prescribed 8mg of diazepam daily and have seen that a new drug drive law (in the uk) says you will be illegally driving under the influence if you have more than 550 micrograms per litre in your bloodstream.

i have been on diazepam for 10 years and i'm on a tapering regime and my doctor is wanting to try me on beta blockers and lamotrigine in 6 weeks time when i reduce down to 7mg.

what i am wanting to know is, is the 8mg i am currently prescribed off my doctor and dvla say (at the moment) im okay to drive on actualy illeagal under the new drug driving law?

I wish i could wave a magic wand to come off these evil tablet but as you will all know it is not so easy.

any help will be great.

thanks in advance and merry xmas

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

1m l00k1ng at the s1de effects 0f these new drugs- they are awful. D1azepam was s0 chem1cally and b10l0g1cally s1mple - these chem1cals s0und t0x1c,

h0w can th1s be safe?

s1de effects Lam0rgne- 

Blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin

chills

dark-colored urine

fever

flu-like symptoms

itching

memory loss

muscle cramps, pain, or weakness

red or irritated eyes

small red or purple spots on the skin

sore throat

sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth

swelling of the face, mouth, hands, or feet

swollen lymph nodes

trouble with breathing

unusual bleeding or bruising

unusual tiredness or weakness

yellow eyes or skin

• Posted

Hypersensitivity

Hypersensitivity reactions, some of which have been life-threatening or fatal, have been reported. Some of these reactions have included clinical features of multiorgan dysfunction such as hepatic abnormalities and evidence of disseminated intravascular coagulation. It is important to note that early manifestations of hypersensitivity (e.g., fever, lymphadenopathy) may be present even though a rash is not. If such signs or symptoms are present, the patient should be evaluated immediately. Lamotrigine should be discontinued if an alternative etiology for the signs or symptoms cannot be established.

And peple sa1d d1azepam was danger0us!!!! 

D0nt trust Drs

• Posted

Immunologic

Immunologic side effects including lupus-like reaction, vasculitis, and progressive immunosuppression have been reported.

personally 1 won't be taking anything but beta blockers 0r be giving up my car. will have t stay on benefits n0w!!

won't be taking anything that gives yu Lupus, which s huge n the usa where they prescrbe ths stuff all the tme. 

• Posted

Yeah thats not good side effects is it 😦

i think i will try the beta blockers with the diazepam and see how that works out, if it doesnt i may ask for something diffrent, something with less side effects and something that doesnt run in the naughty lust with the dvla....

i think personaly this law will not last long before it will be reviewed  (fingers and toes crossed it does get changed) even if they doubled the 550mcg/l to 1500mcg/l taking into account alcohol is sround 800,000 mcg/l in your blood stream..... the 550 seems way to low to work (and the alcohol one has been changed sevral times since coming into law)

• Posted

I am at a loss  as to why any sane doctor would advise a SANE patient to take meds only prescribed for psychotics 
    • Posted

I wonder how many GP's take benzos ?
    • Posted

They look to have many diffrent uses...

i found this on the net....

Antipsychotics are a group of medicines that are mainly used to treat mental health illnesses such as schizophrenia, or mania (where you feel high or elated) caused by bipolar disorder.

They can also be used to treat severe depression and severe anxiety. Antipsychotics are sometimes also called major tranquillisers.

Alot of people get addictited to Benzos for there tranquilliser effects which these anti psychotics also have but with less of a dependence on the tolerancy side....

• Posted

A new offence of driving with certain controlled drugs[1] above specified limits in the blood is expected to come into force on 2 March 2015.[2] These drugs include some prescribed medicines. Anyone found to have any of the drugs above specified limits in their blood will be guilty of an offence, whether their driving was impaired or not. A preliminary, non-specific roadside test may be used to detect if an individual has any of the drugs in their body. To identify the particular drug taken and quantify blood levels, a blood sample will be taken at a police station and sent for forensic analysis.

The legislation provides a statutory “medical defence” for people taking the drugs for medical reasons, if their driving was not impaired. The conditions of the medical defence state that the individual is not guilty of an offence if:

the medicine was prescribed, supplied, or sold to treat a medical or dental problem, and

it was taken according to the instructions given by the prescriber or the information provided with the medicine.

The individual may need to provide written evidence to satisfy the points above (eg, the tear-off section of a prescription or the medicine’s patient information leaflet).

If the individual’s driving is impaired, they can be found guilty of an offence under the current law, which has no statutory medical defence and will not change.

Drugs included in the new offence that might be used for medicinal purposes:

• Posted

NB ..the words " medical defence" ...if their driving was not impaired ..I think there is a lot of scare mongering about 
    • Posted

So there is a loop hole in this smile

If you do get done by the police you will get charged if over the limit BUT if you are prescribed you will be able to ask for a "medical defence" off your doctor.... ☺

But it does clearly it will be a criminal offence regardless if prescribed or not.... seems like they need to iron out the flaws before March when this comes into effect....!

• Posted

th1s appl1es untl March 2nd after then the DVLA 1s informed and your licence (yes my keyboard is working!!) is revoked

until March 2nd we can carry on as we are - taking what we are prescribed, after then our drs, write to the dvla of what we are prescribed. the dvla then will say anything over 550 = revoked licence.

i know due my keyboard i have come across as a bit of a fool -  but i am not. i have researched alot about this and made a lot of calls. 

my emotions are also very high, this has been one of the years in my life in which my mental health as most improved - which doesnt just effect me, but most importantly my family. i live for my family - nothing else. i do not care for this life. now they make it that much harder, its not just me that will suffer. There are things that people take for granted that I just can not do without these meds. Its like being paralised. 

The odd thing is, is that I take diazepam once a week, i make sure never to take it two days in a row or often to not build up tolerance or become addicted - i have a good three week break every couple of months aswell. 

if i were to get behind the wheel after a cup of coffee that would be dangerous -

my amygdyla (sorry for spelling) part of the limbic system of the brain that deals with adrenaline//fear/stress is highly sensitive - so what may slightly frighten other people causes huge anxiety in me. Diazepam simply balances me out. 

A friend just told me to simply choose between meds or car

but that would mean I  would have to use public transport and would need to take diazepam everyday which would no doubt lead to dependence and tollerence. I have been royally screwed by this ill thought out legislation. 

I honestly have not felt this - ****ed ver by life for a long time. This government seems intent on hounding people with mental health problems into an early grave. 

• Posted

just t0 make 1t clear there are n0 l00p h0les 1 just sp0ke t0 Dr Harr1s wh0 w0rks w1th the DVLA - c0me March 2nd the DVLA will be informed if you are on diazepam and if you are over 550mg your licence is revoked for a YEAR!!! A YEAR!! luckily for me I am not physically dependent. I will take a little drink if I get anxiety of withdrawels from my medication which oh the brilliance of hierarachy - is totally legal! i hate alchohol. but medicine is medicine and its less lethal that this other new stuff they are pedalling - 
    • Posted

What you are saying is exactly what my doctor told me. She also said that "normal" use of the drug is short term and if using it long term its classed as abuse be it voluntary or involuntary.

I also beleave new stickers will be added onto the medication when being picked up from the pharmacy as from March 2nd.

my doctor has never rushed me to come off these tablets but seems very keen for me to get down to 4-5mg before this new law comes into action,

Like yourself you have heard it from the horses mouth and now know what to expect, im totaly gutted about this but it is what it is and the 2 choices are learn to live without them and drive or keep using them to make you better and not drive, i think that pretty much sums it up sad

• Posted

I actually spoke to one of the Drs who was not on the panel (the whole 160 page document can be found without enough googling) but who works with the DVLA. He seems to think people on diazepam are a danger on the road! has he not seen the side effects of this other stuff? I wanted to ask him - but he was talking more than listening.... the panel who made this decision were looking at statistics from ILLEGAL drug use in Norway and Italy. Benzos were the 3rd most common form of drug used ILLEGALY. Its is due to this that they have to curtail prescriptions...however they have not taken into account how many more accidents will be caused by anxiety and pain! keybards gne agan
  • Posted

keybard has g0ne aga1n!

Well 1 have just seen my regular Gp, Wh0 1s head 0f pract1se and wh0 als0 w0rks pr1vately and 1t 1s g00d  news {1 th1nk because she 1s str0ng and exper1enced} {the pr1vate Dr 1 ment10ned prev10usly  d0es n0t kn0w me aswell}

My regular Gp and she sa1d t0 carry 0n as 1 am. She says 1ts all scare st0r1es and that she has the ult1mate d1scret10n. She says the newspapers and 1neternet cause far t00 much anx1ety.  She has seen my 1mpr0vement 0ver the past 3 years she has been my Gp (s1nce 1 m0ved fr0m Brghtn} and can see my t0llerance has n0t g0ne up and that 1 d0nt take 1t everyday  - 1 pretty much was t0ld 1f 1 t00k 1t everyday 1t w0uld st0p w0rk1ng and 1 needed 1t s0 much 1 c0uldnt r1sk that happen1ng.

My Gp 1s a very str0ng w0man and a very exper1enced Dr - Head 0f her pract1se. She has n0t heard anyth1ng frm the DVLA  ne1ther 1n her pr1vate pract1se.

She als0 kn0ws me a l0t better than the Dr 1 pay pr1vately n0w and then.

F0rtunately wh1lst th1s law gets rev1ewed wh1ch 1t surely w1ll 1 can st0p d1azepam as 1 am n0t phys1cally dependent. She has prescr1bed me beta bl0ckers f0r the beg1nn1ng 0f March wh1ch sh0uld suff1ce unt1ll the law gets 1mpr0ved (even Austra1l1a says 1ts way t00 str1ct }

1 am beg1nnng t0 agree w1th th0se 1 have sp0ken t0. that th1s new law 1s untenable -  even 1nclud1ng 1n the 0p1n10ns 0f Drs. Even Austra1la sa1d 0ur new laws are t00 pu1n1t1ve and they were the f1rst t0 1ntr0duce s0meth1ng s1m1lar.

Unt1l March we can carry 0n as we are. There are a m1ll10n peple 0n benz0s 1n the UK 0f wh1ch 150,000 have an add1ct10n.

1 w0nt be tak1ng d1azepam by March, But as 1 Suspect the law has t0 be changed and w1ll be changed 1m n0t g01ng t0 g1ve up h0pe yet.

As n0ne 0f us ever sh0uld. s0rry ab0ut th1s keyb0ard 1s bey0nd a j0ke. Sh0uld have 1t repa1red s00n

Bless1ngs x

• Posted

Yes thats what my docs put me on. She said the beta blockers are not looked down on by the dvla, she also said the 3.5mg (in 24hr period) in her opinion is way to low as a guide for the drive limit but she did say she has to give the infomation out.

fingers crossed these beta blockers work and if not they review the limit aloud in the system as soon as possible.

• Posted

beta blockers work for a month I ve heard and arent that strong - usually a month or so hey keyboards back!

Yes I was on propanonl before and it didnt do much, it seemed to do something but not enough to help me -

My friend took them as well and said they lasted a month. There is nothing that beats benzos for anxiety apart from something called buspar which is worth looking into. Its prescribed everywhere but here - hopefully the UK will catch on soon - buspar sounds just right for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.