How uncomfortable is an endoscopy???

Posted , 11 users are following.

Those of you who have had one, please describe the procedure. I'm wondering if it would be bearable for me. Drinking barium (for a barium swallow) was pretty bad for me. Are you fully sedated during the endoscopy? Can you feel anything? What about afterwards? Any side effects?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had an endoscopy a day before. Some throat spray was sprinkled into the mouth after that I did not feel whatever happening. So just don't worry about it. No side effects.

• Posted

I had a light anaesthetic for mine and don’t remember a thing. I had a sore throat the next day but was only very slight. Have you been told if they are putting you to sleep or are you being sedated? I have a follow up endoscopy next month and will be put to sleep again, I can’t bare the thought of being awake even if i could be guaranteed there would be no pain. You’ll be fine, I hope it all goes well for you. 
    • Posted

Thanks. Most people say you don't feel what's going on during the procedure. 

• Posted

Hi, I had an Endoscopy yday, and was extremely nervous, no need. It is painless, you can have just throat spray which is what dentists use in their injections, I also had sedation which makes you forget what has been done. You are not really drowsy after, I enjoyed my meal after and just had a really good nights sleep. You cannot do anything eg driving for 24hrs.
  • Posted

I had it without sedation. I was fine. Didn't gag or want to throw up. I just closed my eyes and concentrated on something else. It's over pretty quickly. I had a slight discomfort in my throat for a day or 2 after.

• Posted

I have to be checked every three years for Barrett’s Asaph a guess the system going on now for some 12 years the last two times I’ve had the in the scopes done I’ve done them without some vacation and I must say and that you have a bad gag reflects they were quite easy 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.