Hows everyone doing????

Posted , 5 users are following.

Not been on here for a while as i have been busy getting myself back on track!

Just wanted to know how everyone is doing.

I am now 10 weeks on sertraline and i am back!! Not 100% but slowly and surely i will get there.

I am back at work and enjoying it. After the nightmare of the past 3/4 months when i finally accepted the help i needed i am starting to really feel like me again and i am feeling happy.

I just wanted everyone to know, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stick with it and when u feel like ur loosing it.. sit back and remember you will get better.

If you are just starting out on sertraline. I know the side effects are horrendous but i promise they will pass. I had everything from dizzyness, nausea, jaw clenching (which resulted in a broken tooth and now wearing a brace lol) head aches... But they all go away and then u just feel like u have energy and more positive... So stick with it and everyone on here will help.

I really hope we all beat this monster that lives in our head or at least learn to live with it!!

Stay strong!!!!!!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there.

I'm so pleased this medications has help you and you can live your life

again.

So lovely of you to think of us who have or still going through these rough times. Not

Me included. I'm on my 7th week and I'm on 25mg and I'm still getting

Alot of side effects. Dizzy nauseous sensations in my arms and hands

Flushing

It's worrying me that they arnt working for me, I don't want to up my dose until the side effects go that's if they do.

Could you please tell me what you started on, when your side effects subsided or went. It's getting me down feeling like this.

Any advice would be appreciated thank you

• Posted

Sorry it was meant to say ME INCLUDED. Still going through it.
    • Posted

Hey Julie

Sorry to here u are still having side effects after 7weeks. I would maybe go back and speak to your doctor as i would think the side effects should have subsided by now. From other posts and my own experience they usually go away by about week 3-4 and u start to feel some benefit.

I started on 50mg and then increased to 100mg which is the right level for me at the moment. When i increased i had the side effects again but not as bad as when i started.

They may not be the right thing for you so i would definitely go back and discuss things with your doctor, especially if u are feeling worried.

I hoped my post would bring some encouragement to even just one person. I know how tough going through anxiety, depression, OCD and panic attacks is... Feeling stuck in your own mind. If only it was as easy as people say "to just pull yourself together coz u have nothing to be down for" ... If that was the answer don't u think we would have thought of that and done it... Ssuuhh!

I hope u get better soon love, are you getting any kind of therapy too? I have been going to CBT and it has really helped me. could be something else to consider!

Let me know how u are and if u need any advice or just a chat, drop me a line xxx

(Btw i am female, contrary to my name lol )

• Posted

Thank you for replying kerr.

I don't drive and my partner work funny hour and can change a

at a days notice so I carnt arrange for CBT.

I have a telephone talk with my GP on Thursday for a chat.

If I have to change my Meds, I feel have wasted nearly 7 weeks.

When I could have been enjoying life againsad(

And I'm worried that another one will be just the same.

I have the odd spell when I feel ok. Maybe a few hours evening

but like this morning I feel bit neaseous and jittery, if you know

what I mean.

So don't know if I'm just extremely sensitive to Medication and that's why I'm still getting the side effects.

Ps I could get in to see my GP because fully booked that why I'm

having a telephone chat. Better than nothing

Glad you are doing well x

• Posted

Morning lovely,

That's good u have a telephone consultation with ur gp at least. Tell them everything you are feeling and trust that they will do the best thing for you. If you do need to change ur meds don't look at it like a defeat. It's just another step forward in making you better. Look at this way, if these aren't working then u don't want to waste anymore time taking something that isn't working. Here are other meds that don't have side effects as severe as the sertraline.

Try to stay positive. I know that's hard but just do what makes u feel happy. I have started baking (something i would have never attempted before lol) i get my radio on and all the stuff out and off i go for a few hours.

Try getting out for a walk each day, even if you don't feel like it or like me are scared of meeting anyone, i put a scoop hat on and get out with my head down. The fresh air will really do you good as walking encourages you to do "belly breathing" which is relaxing and if nothing else it will make u tired!

The CBT is really good. It gets you to change how you think. My first couple of sessions i felt where a waste of time but i stuck with it (i had nothing better to do anyway and thought i was lucky enough to be given the opportunity)

My therapist told me that i cant be magically cured, which upset me at first, but he told me something that has been trying the turning point, he told me he can teach me how to take control. If u Google a technique called "4 7 8 breathing" it shows u a breathing technique for calming you down.

Basically the CBT gets you to write down moment?s when u have an intrusive thought, what is he worst that can happen, is it really something that can or will happen, what would you do if the thing should happen. I wrote this all down in lists and every time i felt the wave come over me and soon found that what was going on in my brain really was just my imagination. I have also been keeping a diary of my days.

I know u can't get to CBT but hopefully these techniques i have learned from it will help.

I am here if u need any advice, i know it feels like u are on your own but honestly there will be brighter days!

Let me know how u get on and keep in touch. I will be thinking about u and cheering you on luvly

Kerr xxx

• Posted

Thank you for that Kerr.

I'm going to work today and going to have to put on a brave face.

My sister is on a A/D and hasn't had one side effect. I will take

a look at the breathing technique.

I just wanted to be ok for going over to see my new grandson

next month. If I'm put on another I would have to wean myself off

this one before I can start on a new one wouldn't I??

And have to start all over again ??

I don't know much about A/Ds.

Sorry if I don't reply but I leave for work at 9.30 xx

• Posted

That's good that ur at work and still able to put a face on. I couldn't and was off for nearly 4 months! I think u are doing amazing if u are able to keep it together just to get out the door!

I don't think u would need to be weaned off as u are on 25mg, even if u do it wouldn't take long. Def speak to your GP. It could be just a change that u need and there is nothing wrong with that. Like i say it's not a defeat just not the right one for you. I had to change from citalopram after 2 weeks as they gave me a blinding head ache and muscle spasms (i already have an illness that causes nerve displacement so it seemed to make it worse) it was the best thing i done.

Have a great day at work and keep smiling!!

Kerr xx

• Posted

Hi. Kerr.

Just got back from work.

Had quiet a good day, not felt as nauseous, and only had a few

Body burning sensations and hand numbness.

I'm reluctant to change my medication on the hope that my days will get better and have less and less side effects coming through.at least iv got another day to see how I am before I talk to my GP on Thursday.

If I don't go to work I dwel on things even more, so I have to get

Out, I feel safe when I'm with people if that makes sense??

I don't really like being on my own, long days until my partner

comes home, will keep you posted to let you know how I get on.

Hope youv had a good day.

Julie xx

• Posted

Hey..

That's brilliant that u have had a good day. Maybe u are on the up lovly!!

I'm just in from work, shattered but still got some paperwork to do. Think it can wait til the morning.. so much to catch up on. Aaaaggghhh!!

Not gonna let it get to me the company will still be there if I'm not. The place didn't fall apart in my abscence lol...

I've had a weird day, felt a little tearful at tea time but I'm putting it down to being tired! Just felt overwhelmed and then the lump in my throat came, my heart was bouncing and i felt sick. I just went out of the office for a walk had a little cry to let it out and then i was fine. I have my therapy tomorro so maybe that has been playing on my mind. I kinda dwell on it a little but i know its good for me.

Here's to a better day tomorrow and hopefully u have another good one.

Xx

• Posted

Morning Kerr.

Had a really bad night sleep feeling jittery and anxious this

morning.

Had the runs two dad's on the run,

So feeling fed up this morning,

I really am at a loss why my symptoms are lingering for so long.

All others on here seems that theirs when at 3 weeks.

Hope you have a good day.

Will let you know how mine goes later x

• Posted

Hey

Just on my way to therapy now... Bag of nerves as per but i will be ok once I'm there... Feel like such a weirdo. My brain is saying everything is ok but my body is telling me different. You know the feeling!

Try not to dwell on it too much, tell the GP everything when u speak to them. You have only got today to get through.

Hope u have a good day, stay strong u really are doing well hunn.

K xx

• Posted

Hi love how did you get on today.

Hope you got ok ok. And your not a weirdo I'd be excacally the

Same. Hope it was a good session for you??

I'm sat here like a beakon, face keeps going hot,

Not the rest of my body tho.

So find that strange.

Had a very busy day at work but managed to get through it.xx

• Posted

Hi Kerr, thank you for sharing! I am in the same boat as you, I hope more can join us. I am so grateful for each normal regular ole day without an intrusive thought. 
    • Posted

So good to hear we are fighting this and getting some normality back.

I always swore I would think take anything, thinking i was strong enough to deal with it. But it's the best decision i ever made to just bite the bullet and take them.

I'm so happy for you, every day the sunshine's even if it's raining!!!

Much love x

• Posted

I'm just coming up to my 10th week on 50mg. This last week I feel I've turned a corner, feeling so much like my old self, more energy, feeling more positive and dare I even say it, my heartbeat in my head is quieter which has been a lingering symptom for me. As you say, I hope others will read these posts and be given hope. Keep going, the good days get more and more!

• Posted

Thank you for posting

I've been on a rough ride these past few weeks.

so it's nice to hear success stories, glad you are doing well

it's just over the 6 week mark for me on 25mg 

Im still getting a lot of side effects, dizziness and nausea my main ones

but I am starting to get the odd hour hear and there when it goes, so hopefully I'm on the up too. 

Best wishes 

• Posted

Good to hear....We are the lucky ones and i just hope that we give people peace of mind that they will get through it. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope we all stay on this smooth road. But if we do hit bumps, which we probably will, then we will know how to deal with them.

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.