HRT Patches

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. i have just started HRT patches today. I am quite impatient so just wondered when I should start to feel them working?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your hot flushes should start to diminish after a few days and should disappear after a month.  The general advice is to give yourself 3 months on a new form of HRT unless it is impossible to sustain it that long.  I have just changed to patches having been on Premique 6.25 for over 10 years until they stopped making it.  Have been on 3 different tablet forms in the last couple of years with poor response so great hopes for the patches. 
    • Posted

My doctor said the patches are better and more effective than the tablets.

• Posted

Hi Carol

What tablet brands were the 3 you took previous and which patches are you now on, how are they working?

• Posted

When the Premique ran out I was put on Kilovance.  It made me so anxious and irritable that I had to stop it.  This was replaced with fermiston conti 0.5/10 and wasn't enough so the hot flushes returned.  The fermiston was then increased to 1/10 and I have been on this for 3 months but still have signs of the menopause to the degree where the joint pain has become almost unbearable.  The Evorel Conti seems to be the flavour of the month with doctors as there has been some speculation that tablet HRT can be damaging to the liver. They can speculate all they want but I know how good I felt on Premique and haven't felt that since.  I started the patches only 2 days ago and my doc who is great says that if the joint pain low mood etc doesn't ease up after a month that she can top the patches up with more eostrogen.  I haven't had a hysterectomy as after having an ovary removed many years ago it is too much of a tangle down there to do one now.

• Posted

Sorry you had a rough time of it. I do understand how pyschically and mentally draining managing a colossal of symptoms can be!

So, Femoston were you on Carol as I am on 1/10mg but on my review explained that my anixety/mood and energy were still off so waiting to start my new prescription.  I agree being on oher forums alot of women out there are on Everol and seem to be getting results with it also the fact the its not being metabolised by the gut and liver before getting to where it needs too!

Was Premique synethic ? I dont know this brand why is it no longer available?

Probably the least evasive treatment is best any. So are you using Sequi and conti ?

• Posted

I was on the higher dose Premique until it was discontinued, and after trying something else (can't remember what, only that it didn't work) I changed to Premique low dose.  The hot flushes and night sweats which started up under the 'something else' continued for a while, but I eventually adjusted to the lower dose and now feeling back to normal.

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

May I ask what hrt patches are you on? I am interested because I am due to change from Femoston tablets to Everol Sequi and Conti next month. I'm told this is better delivery and more effective in absorbtion into the blood stream?

• Posted

Hi Elaine.

I am on Evorel Conti. This is my first time with HRT . So I guess I'm a little inpatient 😐.

• Posted

Ok, may I ask how old are you and have you stopped your periods then?

I know what you mean Wendy,  when I started Femoston pills I didn't see any improvements until week 3 it was very fustrating and by  week 4 my sleeping began to improve so too some of my aches and pains. But I went back to my GYN as I was still feeling the low mood, crying and anixety bouts as well as researching further what was available on the NHS. The consultant with ease agreed that I could have Everol Sequi and Conti patches but I cant start until my next period in 2 weeks time (I can't wait!!)

I only started HRT in February after 6 months of feeling so awful but never knowing it was my hormones, only discovering from my blood levels my estrogen was 43/100.

I'm trying supplements as well to boost my energy and mood and general wellbeing as I think a whole lifestyle overhaul is now needed.

Please do keep sharing how your experiencing Everol.

• Posted

Hi. Elaine.

I am 55 and stopped my periods just over 2 years ago. I have had weight gain around my middle. Which is quite depressing as I have never had to diet even after 3 children.

so I'm hoping that I will see a change with the hot flushes and weight gain and also some if my joints ache too.

• Posted

One of the usual issues of PeriM is some women lose weight. This has been happening to me my normal weight being around 9 stone approx and height of 5.2inches I'm currently around 8 stone. I think some of the loss is muscle mass I certainly feel much more weaker in strength and was worrying me like crazy before I knew I was PeriM. I went for CT scan and was so scared. I have a 9 year old and have stayed fairly the same since she was born. 

Since taking Femoston I have been craving suguary things, experiencing a lot of breast tenderness and a slight bloat on my tummy? I hope once the tiredness shakes off I will feel like training or a least push myself to do 20 minutes a day. My left shoulder and the side of my neck are really gnawing at me sometimes my ribs hurt too. I hope when I introduce the 50mcg Everol it will help more - URGH!!

• Posted

Hi wendy.

I to am on everol conti patches. All my symptoms have now gone but it has taken 6 months. The only down side is i have started to bleed both spotting and periods even though i hadnt had a period for over 3 years. My doctor has told me to persevere a little longer to see if this settles.

I was on elleste patches before and these were great only they were oestrogen only and i shouldnt of been on them as i hadnt had a hysterectomy.

Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi all 

Elaine don't know how old you are but if you are still having periods I am not sure what will best suit you. Has your doctor carried out a blood test to see if you are actually menopausal.  You are the first woman I have ever come across on HRT who has lost weight. I wish!

Premique which I was blissfully happy on, was manufactured apparently from pregnant mares urine and was banned because the mares were kept in confined spaces to catch the urine.

I think it must have been pure eostrogen rather than combined with progesterone.  They were wrong about oestrogen and HRT causing breast cancer and I do have thickening of the womb but lost an ovary due to endemetriosis which gives thickening of the womb in any event!

All menopausal symptoms are down to lack of eostrogen and I have had over a year of misery trying different HRTs none of them as successful unfortunately as Premique. I have no massive side effects from the first patch and slept better the last two nights but I said to my doctor on Monday if I need eostrogen I already have thickening of the womb so hey ho at least I will have a life free of menopause and the hell with the risks.

• Posted

Hi Carol, my earlier message should have said unusal symptom can be weight loss. sarcopenia and menopause are linked this is the muscle mass that shrinks due to the loss of eostrogen. I am currently on a closed Facebook Menopause Support Group and other fourms on Patient Info and was quite enlighted that other women have experienced weight loss in perimenopause, protein intake is essential  during this time I trying to build by protein shakes.

Im going onto Everol sequi 50mcg in 2 weeks.

Please keep me posted with your progress.

• Posted

sorry just noticed Elaine that you have had a blood test.  Wendy let us know how you do on the patches and I will do likewise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.