HRT scares me.........should I be?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, Im a newbie and so glad I have found this forum.

I am at my wits end and so confused. I have been menopausal for 12 mths or maybe longer so the doc thinks. I turned 50 last August and thought I could deal with all the symptoms but its driving me crazy now!! Hot flushes, nights sweats, mood swings, anxiety......but the worse for me is the lack of sleep! This is awful! Its making me like a zombie and my eyes are black!! Such a vicious circle. Today I have had a long talk with my husband and we have talked about HRT! It makes me so scared about taking it but I am feeling so awful that Im now considering it. Any ideas of a good low dose HRT that I can talk over with the doc. How has it been for you taking HRT?

Thanks x

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm seeing the doctor next week for some I've been on it before I've now had a hysterectomy so need a different sort nothing to worry about you can have tablets or patches
  • Posted

So do all these various types of HRT come on the NHS. Do I pay per prescription like usually happens or is this done differently? I am liking the idea of the gel and patches, also must read up more on the Bio Identical, sounds interesting!

Thank you all again!

• Posted

Yes, HRT is available on the NHS.  My patches used to be prescribed as a 3 monthly supply - recently they have cut it back to 2 months, which I think is simply cost-cutting.  I think this depends on your GP practice's policy.  I just pay the normal prescription cost each time I get my repeat prescription and see my GP once a year for a check up and medication review. 

I'm a little confused about bio identical HRT and have read conflicting information online.  I'm not entirely certain which brands are classed as bio identical that are available on the NHS.  Elleste solo (estrogen only) which I use (as I've had a hysterectomy) is described as "chemically and biologically identical to endogenous human estradiol" - not sure if that makes them bio identical or not?  Some hormones (Premarin) are made from pregnant mare's urine which is certainly not identical to human hormones.  I don't know how much that is prescribed in the UK but I (personally) wouldn't use that. 

Read up before you go as some GPs are far from experts and some are more for HRT than others.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi whilst I'm sorting doses my prescription is for 3 months so one £8 prescription lasts that long. Once I have settled dr says she'll prescribe more so I can get 6 months at a time.
  • Posted

Bio identical HRT is made from soya which mimics the natural human hormones better than HRT made from mare's urine. Apparently bio identical tends to have less negative side effects than the normal HRT.

Both are available on NHS but very few GPS are aware that the natural/bio-identical HRT is on NHS. Due to other medical med I don't pay for my prescriptions but think it is down to the surgery how many months worth they prescribe at a time.

The patches are easy to use and you just replace them on same 2 days each week. With the evoral conti you have two different kinds of meds- wear one type for 2 wks then other one for next 2 wks. I can't have the tablets and didnt want the cream/gel as have 3 dogs and didn't want risk if them ingesting it in error if they happen to lick arm or leg. I know, sounds odd but one of them loves shower gel, moisturiser and obviously try to keep it away from them but didn't want risk of worrying about wearing shorts or t-shirt in summer.

• Posted

I too am on evorel conti but it is just one patch not two different ones?? Changed twice a week
    • Posted

Which side effects are you meaning? The NICE guidelines recently published are very clear that HRT is safe and we have known for some time that a lot of the research into the side effects were flawed. I think we have to be careful about claiming there are side effects when we know that isn't actually the case except in rare cases. I have worked in gynaecology for some time and I am aware of all the pros and cons.
    • Posted

Nover thought about having dogs and using th gel......interesting, as I also have 3 dogs and could not take that chance of them licking my arm or leg! So does this bio identical come in patches? Is this the one you are on?
    • Posted

Yes. I'm on the evoral conti patches. It has two different kinds of patch. One type for first 2 weeks and second type for next 2 weeks. Both change twice a week on set days so it is easy to remember.
    • Posted

Side effects as in headaches, nausea etc. Not the scare story ones that they kept trying to put about. Some people find the bio identical ones easier on their body as the soya version is closer to the bodies natural hormones.
    • Posted

The headaches and nausea tend to not last for more than a week if that and it is not very common at all with the newer modified versions of HRT around now. If a woman does suffer these side effects it is usually rectified by prescribing a lower dose.
    • Posted

I found that tablets made me feel queasy, patches did not.  Any other minor side effects wore off after a week or two as my body adapted to getting hormones again and the benefits kicked in.

I have been trying to read up about "bioidentical" HRT to check if I was missing out.  There seems a lot of hype and confusion about these.  Many of the branded HRT tablets and patches available on the NHS would appear to contain "bioidentical" estrogen (oestrogen) - the issue seems to be with progesterone, which is usually synthesised (and isn't needed for those of us who have had a hysterectomy).  Elleste solo (and others) contains the same estrogen compound as Everol Conti - the latter containing the addition of synthetic Progesterone (progestin).  What some people refer to as "bioidentical" are the tailored compounds made up to order at private clinics.  They still use the same compounds as used in some of the branded HRT but mix them in gels, etc, supposedly to match individual requirements. These are not available on the NHS. sound expensive and seem to be contraversial.

Quote from the Australian Menopause Society - I've read similar on other sites:

"Major concerns are directed towards a growing trend to promote the use of “Bioidentical hormone therapy” as being ‘natural’ and therefore superior to ‘synthetic’ hormone therapy. “Bioidentical hormones” are defined as compounds that have exactly the same chemical and molecular structure as hormones that are produced in the human body (US Endocrine Society definition). It is important to realise that all hormones are synthesised. No hormone used in any preparation (regular HRT or “bioidentical therapy”) is ‘natural’ – they are all synthesised from some precursor by the action of enzymes. Both regular and compounded hormone therapies use bioidentical oestradiol but because of its rapid degradation and unsafe endometrial response, bioidentical progesterone is not used by commercial pharmaceutical companies."

• Posted

Progesterone can be the hormone that gives women the most problems ie headaches. I had a hysterectomy a long time ago so I have only ever taken oestrogen. When we looked at HRT in the UK we decided not to focus on other countries information and the  National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) have provided doctors and patients the most up to date advice, written in a way everyone understands and every GP, gynaecologist, Urogynaecologist is expected to follow this. It has been a long time coming and I feel sorry for all the women who were refused HRT because of the flawed research.
  • Posted

I don't think your dogs would lick it as you have clothes on I wouldn't mind the cream has anybody else had a hysterectomy and gone on hrt which one did you use
    • Posted

I've had a hysterectomy (ovaries left in) and I settled on Elleste Solo patches.  I find them very convenient - applied twice a week on my behind.  No issue with showering, swimming etc and not intrusive, so could wear even a skimpy bikini - if I so wished!
    • Posted

I use gel following my hysterectomy and oophorectomy. It goes on inner thigh so unlikely that dogs would lick it. Takes a few mins to dry before clothes can go back on. I like the fact I've not got anything stuck to me but that is my personal preference only no advantage or disadvantage. It goes through skin into bloodstream in exactly same way. It does make it easier to get dosing right rather that cutting patches. Been on it 4 months now with no side effects like headaches etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.