HRT scares me.........should I be?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, Im a newbie and so glad I have found this forum.

I am at my wits end and so confused. I have been menopausal for 12 mths or maybe longer so the doc thinks. I turned 50 last August and thought I could deal with all the symptoms but its driving me crazy now!! Hot flushes, nights sweats, mood swings, anxiety......but the worse for me is the lack of sleep! This is awful! Its making me like a zombie and my eyes are black!! Such a vicious circle. Today I have had a long talk with my husband and we have talked about HRT! It makes me so scared about taking it but I am feeling so awful that Im now considering it. Any ideas of a good low dose HRT that I can talk over with the doc. How has it been for you taking HRT?

Thanks x

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I wouldn't mind a gel or patches as I don't fancy tablets I will see what the doctor says next week is it on prescription the same charges
    • Posted

Yes patches (and I assume gel) are available on NHS.  Patches come in a pack that gives a month's supply - how many you'll get per prescription depends on your GP and will be less at first as you get your dose right.  There are different strength versions - GP will usually try a lower dose first and only increase it if that doesn't get rid of your symptoms.  Once you are settled on one that is right for you, you'll be given a repeat prescription and usually visit the GP annually to check your blood pressure, etc and review how you are getting on with the HRT.
    • Posted

There are so many options now. I tried patches and I found they kept coming off but that was in 1991 and I know they are much better now. Everyone is different and it's good to know there are choices out there. Following the NICE guidelines drug companies are working hard to improve their range of HRT which can only be a good thing!
    • Posted

You have to be aware of the contraindications that come with HRT. It isn't suitable for everyone. I would advise every woman who is considering taking HRT to read the excellent NICE guidelines which are easy reading unlike some medical documents and take a copy with you to your appointment (or the relevant parts) so you have the information there because there are still some GP's against it and just because the NICE guidelines are there doesn't mean any doctor has to prescribe it.
    • Posted

No issue with patches coming off now - but gel sounds another good option if you don't want to take tablets.  Agree with Matron - read the NICE guidelines and print off.  You can't guarantee your GP has read the up-to-date ones and some GPs are more sceptical than others.  At the end of the day, providing there are no underlying health issues that go against it. it is your body and your decision.  While some people still don't like the idea of HRT, others (like myself) have had great benefit from it.
    • Posted

I agree with you maria. I started to take HRT in 1991 but weaned myself off them because one GP in the practice wasn't happy with me being on them so I thought I would just see how I coped. It was a nightmare, flushes, bedclothes and night clothes wringing wet, feeling down and bad tempered so I went armed with the guidelines just before Christmas and saw a different GP. I didn't need the evidence she suggested HRT as soon as I told her my symptoms. There's no need for women to have to suffer. The choice is theirs so if anyone does find a GP won't prescribe go to another one in the practice. I don't mind taking tablets, I suppose that's what I'm used to. Just to add, I have osteoarthritis in several joints and since going back on the HRT I have much less pain.
  • Posted

I think tablets there are too many side effects when I went on before I see what she suggests
    • Posted

If you think there are too many side effects from the tablet form then it's the same for the patches and gel. They all contain the hormone, it's only delivered in a different way.
    • Posted

The fact it doesn't go through the stomach and liver can make a difference.  The NICE guidelines mention less risks in some areas (e.g. blood clots) if HRT is delivered via patch or gels.
    • Posted

From the NHS choices web site:

"Several other types of study have suggested that, because HRT patches bypass the liver, they may have a different effect on cardiovascular risk from HRT tablets"

I'm not a medfical expert but this is what I've read on many sites.  The NICE guidelines state patches and gels have  less risk for clots and strokes.

• Posted

The bottom line (and going back to the original question) the risks are very small anyway and are out-weighed by the benefits for many of us.  There's a choice out there that should suit most people - tablets, patches or gels, bioidentical and synthetic.  Find which suits you best and don't be scared!
  • Posted

It might be different for people who have had a hysterectomy at least you won't get a bleed
    • Posted

Are you talking about the progesterone then and not HRT in general?
    • Posted

If you need HRT after a hysterectomy, you only need estrogen and obviously can't have a bleed.  If you still have a womb, you need the addition of progesterone, which helps protect it.
    • Posted

Yes I know maria. I've been a nurse for over 40 years and mainly in gynaecology. I am currently looking at the NICE guidelines for HRT to ensure GP's in my health authority are aware of their responsibilities 
    • Posted

Hi Matron - the last comment was meant as a reply to Caroline, rather then you.  You obviously know your stuff and someone needs to educate the GPs - who are after all "General" Practitioners rather than experts in any particular field.
    • Posted

A lot of GP's have a gynaecology background these days and your reply was addressed to me.
    • Posted

Hi Matron - it doesn't seem possible to edit a post on here after you've made it - it's too easy in a chain of posts to accidentally reply to the wrong person - and/or to come over in the wrong way when you're not speaking face to face.  If I offended you, I.m sorry, I didn't mean to.  I'm sure you are very knowledgable on the subject and forums are only enhanced by input from experienced people like yourself.

Whilst I'm sure there are some great and knowledgable GPs out there, I'm afraid I've had some bad experiences with some who were less than sympathetic and didn't seem up to date with the latest guidelines on both HRT and other issues.  I always try to do a bit of research (and avoid any cranky sites) to make sure I know what I'm dealing with.  It doesn't help when there is a turnover in doctors and too many locum ones, so I rarely see the same one twice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.