HRT (weight gain & bloating)

Posted , 53 users are following.

Is anyone suffering the same, I have recently had my ovearies and tubes removed, because of severe hot sweats etc my doctor perscribed hrt (Elleste Duet). I have gained nearly 2 stone in 3 months and my stomach is constantly bloated, which causes me to feel depressed. Does anyone on this tablet on any type of hrt feeling the same, please help......xx

5 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm so glad I went on this site I've been on the same tablets as you for 28 days the bloating is horrific I'm resting my arms on my tummy  ( I've never had a tummy) don't know what to do!! Only tried it because I was having too many symptoms especially hair loss the sweats are sooo bad too how are you getting on now ?
  • Posted

Hello ladies,

i went to see my GP today to change my HRT and was prescribed Kliovance.

i have been reading all of your letters and can empathise with all of you. Believe it or not, I have been on HRT for over 24 years and have tried many times to wean myself off it but to no avail. I have spent the worst summer lying in bed with no covers over me for the best part of the night. My face has been covered with moisture drops and I look as though I am melting! I realised that the Liveal I have been taking simply wasn't as effective as it has been in the past and am being referred to the HRT clinic but meanwhile,I am going to try Kliovance and hope it offers some improvement.

Weight....

i used to have the perfect figure and like all of you,I too have gained 3 stone in weight. Thankfully,I am 5'10" in height so can just about get away with it. My BOOBS....enormous, Fat has gathered under my bust and my waist line has almost gone. At times I feel sorry for myself and have even considered having a breast reduction but would I stop taking my HRT?  Not unless my symptoms vanished completely. I spent a fortune years ago buying herbal remedies,tinctures,soya and endless recommended alternatives but sadly,all to no avail. 

My advice...be thankful that you have your health, go out and search for a few new outfits that fit and suit you and put a smile on your face. Life goes on and we all get older...we hope.  Things will soon settle down and hopefully most of you will be able to do without your HRT tablets but some of you won't !  Doctors do not seem to be as concerned as they were years ago. On the plus side...HRT is also known as the youth pill and I for one still look fine albeit fatter but my hair,eyes,skin etc.,are all pretty good and I am in good health.

Nothing has changed really, remember the old saying.MIDDLE AGE SPREAD...this has been happening forever. Do not blame the HRT, it could simply be in your genes...did your mother get fatter at your age? We can't all stay young and beautiful forever,we have to make way for the youth and grow old gracefully...not easy but it has to be done.

So,here I am...66years old and still taking my HRT and thanking God for them.

Good luck to all of you and do not despair..everything will sort itself out in due course.

Best wishes,

Rosemary.

• Posted

Yes I have the same. I have been on it for 4 and a half years and through most of that time I have been on a strict diet. Despite losing 4 stone initially I have struggled to keep it off despite sticking rigidly to the same diet. Just lately I have easily gained 14lbs in fluid and lost 12lbs a week later so I have asked to come off it now. I am dropping it gradually -only taking tabs on alternate days for this month and then stopping it. Already I feel different and people have noticed I look slimmer this week. Yes,  it is depressing when you feel bloated. When I went on HRT it was because I was suffering hourly flushes and flushes 4 times in the night. I was however working and looking after my mother who had a rare terminal illness so I should think that the stress increased my symptoms at the time. I am hoping for a quiet withdrawal period although the Dr did warn me to expect flushes for 3 to 6 months after stopping. I know there are other types you can take so it may be worth talking to your Dr. I wish you good luck x
  • Posted

Hi I have the marina coil and have just started elleste solo. I have gained weight before going in this through the menopause and is really getting me down. My body feels like I'm not in control of it and and so down. So many emotions and sweats - not sleeping. Can anyone give me advice and I don't want gain more weight. I'm 47

Thank you

• Posted

Yes I've been on this medication and I have also found that I have gained weight . Thinking of another alternative .

• Posted

Hi

I had a bad experience on this in first couple of days. I am now in black cosh and it's only my third week but am feeling a lot better with it in general. I take vitamin c and iron in the morning and the black cosh in the evening. My mood swings aren't as bad but I still have them but believe it's helping . Good luck x

• Posted

I've been on femostol for 3 months and have gained a stone and been very hungry - perpads it's the relief of no hot sweats that has calmed me into a healthy appetite? I've been this weight before so it's ok but hope the gain doesn't carry on ...

• Posted

Oh thank you so much for posting this. I thought I was going mad. I have Evorel sequi patches and only 1 per week and I have gained over 1.5 stone in 18 months. I feel so bloated and horrible. Thing is for me i havent even had flushes just horrendous mood swings. I am thinking about coming off and trying alternatives
  • Posted

I am so grateful to you and this forum. I have gained 10lbs in just 5 weeks and am going crazy. I'm 52 go to the gym every day, don't eat sugar or carbs. I feel like I have no control over my body! I'm bloated as if I were pregnant and my boobs are enormous. I know that weight gain doesn't sound much but it is for me. I am going to gp first thing on Monday. Thank you so much. Teresa

• Posted

I've recently been put on Elleste Duet & although all my hot flushes have stopped I do feel that I have put on weight & my tummy is always bloated &  I feel sick. I did have a period last month too so that has all come back. I really don't know what to do as the flushes were awful & I am so relieved they have stopped  but I really don't like feeling bloated & big? it is making me sad again.

xx

• Posted

Hi I've been on elleste duet 2 years for severe hot sweats, dry itchy skin & very low moods. All it's done for me is stop the hot sweats, give me acne, I still have no sex drive! I have gained a stone in weight, bloated all the time. The more exercise I do the bigger I become. I'm going to the doctors to discuss coming off it as I don't feel any better x

• Posted

I am on Estalis 250/50 patch.  This is my 3rd week and I look like a beached whale; have gained 5 lbs and have cankles and sausage feet.  I took my patch off today as my mood swings are driving me crazy.  I may have to put up  with the hot flashes because being fat, bloated and emotional isn't working for me.

• Posted

Yes I am the same hun what can I take to stop this I no longer take the hrt as it was one of the side effects
  • Posted

I stopped the HRT and am taking Menosmart and evening primrose oil.  Still have a few hot flashes but nowhere near as many.  If I need to change I will try bio-identical hormones
    • Posted

HI there today I wet to my GP again asking if I can try bio HRT and again I was refused, why is this as I know other people who live in different areas who can get it, was wondering how you managed to get it, I am sitting here with 3 months of Elleste duet in front of me and with reading other people's experiences I really don't want to take it now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.