HSV-2 only: Who else, and how often do you have outbreaks?

Posted , 68 users are following.

Thought it would be good to have a discussion thread just for those with IgG/swab-confirmed HSV-2 (so not presumed cases).

For personal "research" purposes, lol, I'm also very interested to know:

1. How long you've had it.

2. How often do you have outbreaks.

3. Did you have a history of cold sores (even if only as a child) before you acquired HSV-2.

Other personal experiences regarding HSV-2 welcome. Cheers!

4 likes, 227 replies

227 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everybody

Can we add one more thing to the answer list?

4. What is your experience with antiviral meds

Thanks

• Posted

I've recently seen a whole bunch of confirmed HSV-2 folk commenting on various posts. Would be good to gather you all here, unless there's another dedicated HSV-2 thread or forum.
  • Posted

1. 5 1/2 years

2. Every month (oo go me i got the short straw lol)

3. Never had coldsores or anything similar before first outbreak. Had blood tests previous to it and all negative.

Had my first outbreak and was really ill with it. Think it was due to a weak immune system mainly. Unfortunately im one of the unlucky ones who get reoccuing outbreaks. You just learn to deal with it and it becomes normal so you forget your previous life anyway lol smile

• Posted

Loulabelle

Do you take antivirals?

Anything you have discovered to make the outbreaks easier (ointments etc)

• Posted

Ive never gone down the antivirals route as my symptoms, whilst annoying, are fairly mild in comparison to some. And my body loathes chemicals so I've tried to avoid it.

I've found over the years that i have a few triggers so i avoid the following as much as i can:

Nuts, sugar, alcohol and caffeine.

I keep fit and healthy too and take supplements.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply

It is certainly good to know your triggers

I am glad you have found a way to cope

• Posted

Would i be right in thinking you also get a lot of outbreaks? And that you're now starting antivirals? You'll have to let me know how you get on?

I think the main way I've coped is mentally to be honest smile its a difficult road sometimes but i really do try to keep a positive mindset smile

• Posted

I have been recently diagnosed but suspect i have been having internal outbreaks for a long time

I thought i had a mysterious recurring bacterial infection

Honestly

As distressing as all this is, the "infections" were so uncomfortable and apparently intractable, that im almost glad to have a definitive diagnosis.

I am really hopeful that suppressive antivirals will be the answer for me

My outbreaks are very painful and triggered by intercourse. My currentoutbreak is going on longer and more painful than previous, despite use of valtrex.

• Posted

So, you have mild outbreaks, but every month for 5.5 years?? Your outbreaks should be becoming fewer, or so they say! How do you define "mild"?
    • Posted

From doing my own research it does seem that women struggle more with reoccurring outbreaks. I'd think this is linked into their hormones as it seems to play a massive part in outbreaks.

Mine have got milder rather than fewer. i have never had the blistering side of it, more just an uncomfortable feeling.

I gave up with doctors a while ago after it took 2 years to diagnose and not one of them gave me antivirals. They literally patted me on the head and said Hey everyone gets it, off you go. The last doctor i went to was a private gp and knew less than me on the subject. Quite astounding really smile

• Posted

Astounding indeed

Its such a common thing. Doctors need to get educated.

• Posted

Over the course of 5.5 years ive seen quite a few doctors about it and not one of them was particularly clued up, even the GU doctor who was actually a complete a*** about it all.

They all have a cavalier oh just use condoms it'll be fine attitude. Which personally I don't feel is enough information for people. For a condition which affects so many they are sadly lacking in information .... Rant over lol

• Posted

Just to add to the rant

I went to no less than 15 gynos over the years

No one even considered herpes

• Posted

Women generally suffer from GH more than men, including more complications, because we have more susceptible internal and external mucosal skin that's prone to lesions, etc. For some, hormones are also an issue. It sucks. I've always thought it's so much easier being a man, even before GH!!
    • Posted

I did smile two actually. I went to one private doctor, twice to the GU clinic and twice to my normal doctor. Various swabs etc and always a negative. So no-one would help even though herpes was mentioned.

Two years in my partner finally admitted he had it so i went privately and had a full screening of std tests done and got told i was positive. Then i went to a private gyno who was lovely but not very well educated and just kept banging on about condoms and a positive attitude. That was about it.

• Posted

That's terrible how some doctors are so clueless or cavalier about GH! Luckily, I went to a private STD clinic where they know their sh!t and had a consultation with the head doctor, so there was never any doubt or other issues.
    • Posted

Ive actually tried looking over the last six months for a good private doxctor but it's a minefield so have just sat back a bit on it.
    • Posted

Im looking to talk to a doctor or soneobe knowledgeable about herpes 1 and 2. Seems like many doctors and ppl are misinforned only because i get such conflicting info. And yes - some doctors have cavalier attitude. If u know someone I could talk to pls do share or msg me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.