Hsv2/peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anybody ever heard of neuropathy causing constant burning for years in the feet leading to numbness because of hsv2 neurologist says absolutely not and 3 other md's. I am living very healthy and have quit drinking completely.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have just recently gone through my first outbreak of hsv2, and a couple weeks in I noticed nerve pain starting from my lower back down my left leg to the bottom of my foot. I researched and found that the virus is in your lower spine and that it absolutely is associated with the virus. My doctor doesn't know about it, but I read an article published by the JAMA that does talk about it.
    • Posted

Hi lynn, I have been experiencing the same, will go away over time. Just don't drink or smoke, it brings back those symptoms immediately. Take aleve to lesson the sensitivity and shooting pains, stay on top of your diet and stress regimen. Taking a salt bath, works best for me, but everyone is different. This has been overall, the worst of my initial outbreak. It does pass, I noticed that drinking chamomile really helps with dicomfort.
    • Posted

Those sensations will probably pass in a couple of weeks. I had a couple of minor but odd nerve issues when the virus was settling in, but they were only temporary, it seems. Hope they don't return!
    • Posted

Thank you, Mary. I did not quit smoking, knowing that is not good to. I am drinking teas and honey, and lots of water. I don't feel it so much anymore, but ironically, just tonight I had a cramp feeling in my left calf and actually got welts on my right forearm and on my right but check. Probably unrelated, and when I stress I do terms to welt. It's just the gift that keeps on giving, haha..
  • Posted

It is certainly not impossible, imo. So much is not fully understood about HSV, and contrary to what people like to say, HSV is not "just a skin condition", but a skin *and* nerve condition.
    • Posted

Thanks FelisCatus it is good to finally have people to talk with. I agree that it is not impossible. Since you have been on the forum have you heard of the same thing I am talking about. I have heard of the neuropathy but always hear that it is short lived and goes away.
    • Posted

A number of people experience nerve issues, but there is also a tendency to attribute everything to HSV, so care needs to be taken when reading only anecdotal evidence. However, HSV does appear to be associated with radiculopathy, which is a nerve disorder. Are your symptoms constant or recurrent?
    • Posted

Also, have you tried acyclovir or valacyclovir, and if so, did it make the issue go away? A lot of the "side effects" of HSV can usually be resolved or reduced with the antiviral meds, since the reactivated virus is usually the root of the problem. Might be worth going on the meds daily for a month (suppressive therapy) and observing whether there is any change. If not, the issue may be separate to HSV. Your own personal experiment/study!
  • Posted

Hi. I know your post is 2 years old so not sure if you will see this or not but regardless thought I would write to you in case you would find my reply helpful. 

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Herpes (HSV1 & HSV2) does cause Peripheral Neuropathy.  

I was 36 y/o & it was the first week of August 2013 when I began feeling terrible burning and needle pains in my legs and feet. It took the Neurologist over 4 months to figure out that I had Neuropathy by doing a biopsy of the tissue of my legs. After that he performed "almost" all possible tests (MRIs, heavy metals, diabetes...) to determine the cause of my Neuropathy but he just stopped and said that in many cases a cause cannot be determined. And so he now referred me to a Pain Mgmt Dr to give me pain killers to manage my pain for the rest of my life. Because, oh yes, I was told that this is a "chronic and degenerative condition." 

Needless to say, I of course did not give up and after much research and changing Drs, I found a Neurologist that specializes in Neuropathy. I suggest you do the same and maybe change to Drs from a University Health Care System in your area as those are usually more up to date on the latest research, etc. 

As a last resort to try to figure out the cause of my Neuropathy, my new Neurologist referred me to an Infectious Disease Dr who ran all kinds of tests & finally was able to tell me that I have HSV1 & HSV2 and that it is causing my Neuropathy. 

Ironically, a Gyno many years ago (I was maybe 28) told me I had HSV but I have never had any outbreak of any kind of HSV1 or HSV2 and I had no idea until now that herpes could cause Neuropathy. But I cannot believe Neurologists don't test patients for these and other infections. 

And just so you know, upon further discussions of my prior medical conditions w/ the Infectious Disease Dr, I explained I had chronic cystitis (mainly just the pain) for years. He explained that it was likely Chronic Urethritis not Cystitis and that it was likely also caused by herpes. Again it was never properly diagnosed so I never received the proper meds. 

I am now working with him on attacking the herpes rather than just keep taking pain & nerve medication which is literally destroying my life along with the pain. 

BTW, here's a link to website for The National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke (NIH) where I recently found the most complete info on Neuropathy (I wish I would have found it earlier):

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Peripheral-Neuropathy-Fact-Sheet

Also, I would like to stress that any kind of nerve damage/ condition like Peripheral Neuropathy or Radiculopathy should have an underlying root cause. For example on the other website link they gave you below (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/795486) they detail how in a study of cadavers who had Radiculopathy 40% of them had dormant HSV2 on the sacral dorsal root ganglia but only 5% of those knew they had HSV2 while alive. Basically the HSV2 was causing their Radiculopathy & they went completely misdiagnosed all their lives. 

I wish you the best of luck and really hope your condition does not go any further because this has shifted my life 180 degrees. 

• Posted

Hi.  I have the same problem, it started in November 2016, burning and tingling in right foot, my left foot rarely bothers me when I'm out and about.  I know that I'm extremely anxious person,  went to neurologists early 2017, performed all kinds of tests and blood tests,  could not find cause, however, after researching, I decided to do an Std 10 panel test,  all negative except positive for herpes 1 and 2.  Neuros even performed a brain MRI, , it was discovered I had a subdural brai. Hematoma in may last year, had surgery,  another brain surgery in September last year, 2017.  Surprisingly, my neuropathy went away in June before the surgery,, ,however it came  back two months ago, same right foot, same symptoms , was always concerned about the herpes.  I'm taking alpha lipoid acid, acetyl l cartinine, vitamin c,d,e etc.  what do you take,  never had any outbreaks either. 

• Posted

I have long thought this as well. I've suffered from the herpes virus since 1978. I developed peripheral neuropathy a couple of years ago and it seems to be worsening. They don't know what the cause is but I have suspected that herpes has been the culprit. I have also had some weird rashes and other things that crop up from time to time and I still believe that the living herpes in my body is causing all of these complications because I am otherwise a very healthy person. Thank you for bringing this up

• Posted

I am going through hell. I have tested positive for herpes 1, and have been told just last week that I have neuropathy in my feet!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this. My current doctor doesn't think there is any correlation so you likely won't get hello from any doctors. If you wish to pursue this, researchers and research facilities are your best contact. I've had herpes since 1978. Perhaps attacking it directly may help. If not, check to see you don't have diabetes or insufficient B12. I'm currently investigation my elevated B12 levels as a possible paradox. Not getting my nutrients so there B12 is stuck in my blood. Maybe there is a connection between it all. Fight the fight. Good luck to you

• Posted

Diana,  how is your neuropathy doing.  Any relief?   What is the infectious disease Dr doing to help you,  I probably have the same thing.  I have severe neuropathy in feet, primarily my right foot,  and Dr wouldn't prescribe antivirals since I don't have outbreaks.

• Posted

Diana, how is you condition now, how are you attacking the herpes, i feel i have the same condition with this silent herpes and my neuropathy which i have had for two yrs now. thanks.

• Posted

hoe is your neuropathy now, im having the same issues, have had this neuropathy for two yrs now, it os getting very severe, have herpes 1 and 2. but never got an outbreak, found out last april, 2017 on a routine std check.

• Posted

I have been checked for diabetes and have tried taking B Complex, nothing is helping. I feel like I am rolling in fiberglass. I am unable to work and cannot afford to eat right, I just eat a cheeseburger and that is all I will eat today!

• Posted

That is not good, because it took over 3 years to get help and I started with just a pimple on lower back and one just above the backside of left knee. Now the pimples or rashes are everywhere! You do realize that the blisters or pimples can be microscopic. I also have had two rectal surgeries since being diagnosed by two Physicians Assistant, and this was by bloodwork. Then months later my doctor in the same office told me I didn't have it and to get off of the expensive antivirals! She then referred me to a medical doctor. She is a gynecologist!

• Posted

hi, any relief from your neuropathy, i have neuropathy i my feet,basically right foot and leg, for two yrs now. very painful, i have tested positive for herpes 1 and 2 but have never had outbreaks. drs cant figure it out.

• Posted

I wish I could say yes, but it hasn't! Some days I feel like I can't think, I am a zombie. The only thing I know is that I am having low potassium, but because that affects the heart, I can't take supplements. I need to see a infectious disease doctor, but I have no insurance. I am currently mostly bed bound. Sending you prayers and hugs!

• Posted

So sorry to hear how you are feeling, prayers and hugs to you too. Are you bed bound due to neuropathy?

Do you think the herpes caused the neuropathy? i dont think there is a way to know for sure. have you tried antivirals and see if it helps.

im willing to try cbd oil, I have always read that herpes could cause this but only short lived.

• Posted

I wish I had the money for CBD oil, but I am still fighting. It is not getting any better! Well I have had two rectal surgeries and no insurance! I did go to doctor a couple of days ago, she said 2nd degree hemorrhoids, I don't believe her! I pray for you and all people who suffer needlessly!

• Posted

my goodness, so sorry you are going through this ordeal. you dont think its hemorrhoids? what did they diagnosed when you had the rectal surgeries?I dont know if antivirals will help me. no DR wants to

prescribe because they dont feel my reuropathy is related my my herpes, and you cant get it without

a prescription. Did the antivirals help with your neuropathy at all? mine is basically my right foot

and some on right leg. i wish you relief very soon. take good care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.