huge discomfort blow left rib

Posted , 128 users are following.

31/2 yrs ago I had a mild stroke. The morning after I felt a small discomfort on my left side just below my rib. The dr looked and felt but could see or feel nothing. Said it may just go away. Gradually the discomfort got worse and now is sometimes unbearable. It is always present and has indeed reduced my quality of life to a great degree.

I have had CT scan, virtual colonoscopy, endoscopy, chest xray and ultrasound. All negative. I have seen a neurologist and 2 x gut consultants, again nothing.

After all that NOBODY has the slightest idea what is wrong. (this is a time when everybody seems to give up on a patient!)

The discomfort is just like as if someone is pushing their first firmy into the area immediately beneath my left lower rib and I tend to be automatically holding my hand, with some pressure on it, all day for somekind of relief.

Is this a nerve or a gut problem, or anything else and perhaps npthing to do with my stroke after all?

I now have to 'get out of my pram' to get any further tests done. Doctors switch off. Have you tried to push treacle through dry sand?!

I am 67. Has anyone else suffered this problem please?

James

7 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi James.. Im curious to see if you or Molly found a solution to this? I am experiencing it myself for the first time.. im 36 years old.. I have recently been referred for an endoscopy as I've been suffering acid reflux badly for the past 7 months.. ive lost 12kgs cause eating is just such a nightmare now 😔 I feel like its more discomfort rather than pain, right below my left breast in my ribs.. feels like a baby is moving (just what it reminds me of lol) I can physically feel some sort of inflammation right on my ribs

• Posted

by chancen, are you on any type of anti inflammatory? ie ibeprofen, aleeve.

• Edited

No Im taking an H2 blocker for reflux called Famotidine.. which I believe is a NSAID.. same as the two medications you mentioned...

• Posted

kelly , so i have to say that i 100% believe that the pain in my left rib was caused by damage made to linings of organs actually due to taking Aleve, ibeprofin, and or Meloxicam over the course of 6months. i have not taken any NSAID since my pain and gb surgery. Nsaids do some permanent damage. I feel its a catch 22, you think you ate helping inflammation, but long term use is damaging. I was using it for tennis elbow pain and it turned into a nightmare. caused me to lose 20 lbs. When they opened me up, they found scar tissue wrapped around my intensines and gb and i believe the meds were causing damage maybe ulcers and my body was trying to heal with that tissue. i have not taken 1 nsaid since. i only took protonix to help heal and it was hard to wean off but managed by doing every other day then every 2 days etc. Just something to consider, what may help us is actually hurting us in the long run. i hope you get to feeling bettet and figuring out what it is.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice.. Its so hard when you don't know anyone who has suffered the same thing.. and doctors are so text book.. if they have or do suffer it, I feel I would get alot more help..

It worries me to stop taking the Famotidine as its the only thing that has helped with my reflux symptoms.. i definitely know when I've forgotten to take my daily dose.. symptoms come straight back.. what a pain 🤦‍♀️

thanks again for your reply, take care 🙂

• Edited

Hi. I have been searching the internet for weeks about exactly the same problem. I came across this forum and have read almost every comment and post to compare my symptoms with the rest of everyone on this forum that is not getting answers from drs etc. I have had this problem for the last 7 months. I have been for x rays and they could not see any rib fracture etc. The outcome was that i could have inflammation in my rib cartlage. Not much can be done about it besides taking anti inflammatories. My mom passed away from colon cancer a couple of months ago and i went thru all her medicine a few nights ago. I discovered a powder among her medicines called COLON FIX. I decided to give it a try. 1 teaspoon with a glass of water. It does not taste like much. This starts working after about 3 hours. Beware not to plan a day out if you want to give it a try. It really cleanes out your gut. There is no cramping involved if anyone is worried about that. But i can promise you I am on day 2 now and i have had no moving pain or uncomfortable stitch again. I can sit behind my desk again for hours without experiencing any pain or discomfort. I can sleep on my left side again. My symptoms are gone. I only took the COLON FIX the 1st night and 2 days later i feel like a new person. I can actually wear a underwire bra again with no problems. Its literally gone...I find it quite unbelievable and although it might be early days for me its just lovely to get thru the day without pain. It might be worth a try for the rest of you out there too....good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! wow, I always think I'm the only one.. then I find that someone else actually knows what I'm complaining about!! I actually feel like a baby is kicking me under my rib.. im a mum of 3 and thats the feeling it reminds me of lol.. mine is def worse when in bed! and yes, underwire is definitely uncomfortable now 🙄 im gonna go Google Colon Fix now.. i have been experiencing alot of acid reflux for the last 5 months and have been referred for a camera to be put down my throat cause meds aren't working.. i wondered if the discomfort in my rib was to do with that? do you suffer reflux yourself? I am really sorry to hear about your loss xx That would be incredibly hard! I couldn't imagine 💔

Thank you again

Kelly

• Posted

Hi Kelly...I have never had a problem with acid reflux in the past but during the last few months i have experienced it a couple of times. Its not constant though. I just could not figure out why my pain keeps on moving to different areas around my rib cage. Everything i google does not compare to my symptoms like fatigue or nausea and it does not hurt when i cough or sneeze either.Sometimes the pain is on top below my breast and other times it moves to the bottom of my rib cage. Sometimes when i lie down i can feel a tingling feeling in my rib cage and to me it is such a mystery that i just could not figure out. Trying to explain these symptoms to a dr is even more complicated. Walking around with this type of pain drains you emotionally especially if you cannot pin point it or explain it properly. I must honestly say that i feel so much better after taking this powder. I will definately continue with it as I felt so much better within 24 hours. I really hope you try it and that it works for you. Its not expensive. R125 is South Africa. So i really hope it will bring some relief to you too. Please let me know. Thank you so much for your kind message.

Greetings

Inge

• Edited

I had the same problem for Six (6) Months, I went through different test but no conclusive result. My Doctor prescribe me** Norfloxacin**, during the time I had some skin problem on my back shoulders so a friend suggested me that I might have deficiency in Vitamin D3, I ate the combination of the two, I'm better now, I don't know if its the result of the Norfloxacin or if its due to Vitamin D3 or it get better naturally, I know that vitamin D3 helps in boosting immune so, anyway I'm not certain how I get better.

• Edited

Hi...thank you for your reply. I will definately keep that in mind for the future should this problem comes back. I am on my third day now and pain free. I only took the Colon Fix the 1st day. So far i feel fantastic and have none of the horrible symptoms. I hope this uncomfortable pain is gone forever...so far so good. Yay!!

• Posted

I'm only 19 and have had decent health all my life, but now I've found I am having the same problem. This has been persisting to get worst for many months now. There's a pressure behind my left ribcage, below the breast. I used to think it was just my fat bulging into my ribcage, but since it is getting worst I don't think that's the case. It feels like something is behind there constantly pushing against my ribs and sometimes it's so uncomfortable I have to hold my hand on it. It's gotten to the point where I have to sleep on my stomach at night. Otherwise it'll bother me and keep me awake with the discomfort. I don't know what it could possibly be but I will have a doctors appointment soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.