Huge prostate impedes bowels

Posted , 15 users are following.

My prostate was <80cc when I had two urolift procedures.  The latest MRI scan last year showed a 123cc prostate. In addition to the 'usual' peeing problems, I now have difficulty passing motions.  

?It seems my bowel is empty possibly because solids cannot get past the enormous prostate pushing into bowels.

?Anyone any helpful comments please

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When was  Urolift procedure  done ?  Stan
    • Posted

Well done Derek!!

?Things have moved on a lot since then.  I paid for another one later where they put more clips in.  I thought I put something on this site about that but can't find it.

?I have been muddling along and am now on a long waiting list for Aquablation trial

• Posted

Thank you so much.  In general  I  think  UROLIFT is not good solution at all.  Urolift  oftenly has poor results. Even when has  relief  effects...in time  the prostate is growing and growing  ....  sometimes  the new  tissue  overgrow the clips or  jumping to bowel area ( as described above ) .

The only solution is to decrease  prostate volume . By  meds  ( alpha blockers , or 5 -alpha reductase  inhibitor ) .  If is still not sufficient there is plenty of invasive ,or low invasive  surgery  methods.

OP ( open prostatectomy ) as most barbaric way,  TURP - still barbaric ,  less  invasive laser HOLEP, or GL , etc........up to REZUM  .

And 2 methods used by IR ( Interventional radiologist )  PAE and FLA.  You can read about  all of mentioned    methods  on this forum ,or just google or consult with several  doctors.  Within  your final  solution you can use CIC ( self cathing ) .  Of course you need same main  examins : PSA to avoid cancer, PVR ( post void residual ) to avoid kidney and bladder damage. And moist importantr is to  have 3T MRI scans  and  experienced   Dr.  who can read it and state perfect diagnosis and suggest  optimal  solution.  Stan     

• Posted

Totally agree with you Stan regarding urolift. It seems like a stop gap measure because no tissue is removed. It's just compressed. I wonder if the urolift clips will cause problems for mike during the aquablation procedure

• Posted

the same question i put to myself many times.  How to  take out Urolift clips.  Small metal bars with sharp tips. TURP , HOLEP ?...probably technically impossible.  Sure method is OP( open prostatectomy ) ,but how drastic.  Maybe  the best is robotic  Da Vinci prostatectomy .

Its neccessary to ask some experienced Uro Dr. with large knowledge portfolio .

• Posted

That is what I have said from its inception. It is still bound to keep on growing.
    • Posted

Hi Stan

You say "sometimes  the new  tissue  overgrow the clips or  jumping to bowel area ?".  Please can you tell me where you got this information from

?Thanks Mike

• Posted

My urologist says that ablation/ laser / turp etc sweep away the tags.

I hope he is right

• Posted

I red somewhere on prostate forum  about  overgrowing of prostate above the tags.  As I remember this was case of rapidly growing  prostate .  Will try to find this information. 

/Regarding  sweeping away the tags  by  ablation/laser/turp  its good  information for you . Stan  

• Posted

I would be dubious about bits of metal getting out of my urethra without doing damage
    • Posted

probably   with help  of  stronger flow  of  saline (?)  via urethra.  Just my consideration.   
    • Posted

I am dubious too, but I am stuck with it!
    • Posted

We need Kenneth's opinion on this. If I remember correctly he had bands replaced or was it just dded to ? 

• Posted

Yes, Open is barbaric...but sometimes when you have a gigantic prostate with I gigantic median lobe you don't have many options. Also, when you go the barbaric route, you don't have to readdress the issue ever again. NONE of the complications happened to me thank goodness. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.