Huge prostate impedes bowels

Posted , 15 users are following.

My prostate was <80cc when I had two urolift procedures.  The latest MRI scan last year showed a 123cc prostate. In addition to the 'usual' peeing problems, I now have difficulty passing motions.  

?It seems my bowel is empty possibly because solids cannot get past the enormous prostate pushing into bowels.

?Anyone any helpful comments please

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mike - I have a 240gm prostate which also restricts the bowel. It is crucial for us to avoid constipation at all costs. When we are constipated the stuck feces push on the prostate and restrict the pee flow and the large prostate itself restricts the poop flow so it is a bad situation.

I had a big problem with constipation recently and got a lot of help from guys on this forum. The best idea was to take Magnesium Oxide capsules (250mg) twice a day. It really really helped to stop my constipation. You can buy a bottle anywhere and it is cheap.

Also I take one Colace pill a day and Benefibre  and a few prunes. So now I am slip-sliding away!

I have been doing CIC for 2 years now and in my opinion that is the way to go. I have good natural voids (200ml) and keep my PVR under 250ml.

All the best.

Howard

• Posted

wow really huge prostate ! 240 ml .  If you have not big median  lobe  ,what about to try PAE ?

• Posted

I had PAE 2 years ago but it had no impact on my BPH (though it did lighten my wallet a lot!). I do not have a median lobe - just 2 huge side lobes. Once I got used to CIC it has turned out to be the best for me until some new easy and cheap procedure comes along.
    • Posted

Hi Howard

I do my best to eat healthily with lots of fibre. 

​I am pleased to say that the bowel problem seems to have eased a bit now, so I am hopeful I can keep hanging in there!

​Mike

• Posted

Geez you'd think an enlarged prostate wouldn't effect bowel movements. When you've got a bowel movement in "chamber" ready to go does it effect urination?

Courious about aquabation. I thought the trials were done and it's being offeted by urologists now. What are they.telling you regarding the odds of RE?

• Posted

It really does - I once saw an ultrasound of my rectum and it was compressed by my large prostate which results in rope-like poops!
    • Posted

Hi

?I have been having pressure acting both ways I think.  Bowel makes me want to pee.  Prostate may restrict bowels.

?In UK there are still so called 'trials' but I am a little confused as to the status.  Our NHS has not yet authorised it fully I think.  You can get it privately here, and I am looking at that option.

?My urologist thinks this is the best way forward balancing reliability with least risk of sexual function issues.

Mike

• Posted

Wow - I wish I had some 'proof' like that.  It is really hard to get doctors to get real evidence

• Posted

Just to add:

​I hope that aquablation or such a bore out will result in the prostate pulling/contracting away from the bowel and bladder, so that bladder function and capacity, and bowel shape will improve

• Posted

I think they can remove the clips but not what they are anchored to - the only way to remove that is to remove the entire gland. Your clips aren't the problem though - its your prostate. I think you should do something now before you end up with a fully obstructed bowel and possible sepsis/colostomy. Seriously - look into Rezum/Holep - even Greenlight or the dreaded TURP if that's all you can get.

• Posted

Mike,  I have noticed for a long time now that if I pee out as much as I can,  Then I have a bowel movement,  I can pee out a good amount more.  My theory is that the stuff in the colon is pressing on the prostate squeezing the urethra.  After the bowel movement the pressure is gone and you can pee more.  Everything in there is competing for space.  

I have also noticed (Getting on a side track now) that after an orgasm I can pee more out and easily.  However the next few times I pee are more difficult than normal. Does the prostate relax after orgasm ?

To get off on another side track. If I do an excersize of laying on my back and pulling knees to chest, I can pee more after that.  Also on hands and knees arch back up then down about 30 reps I can pee more after that.  Why am I mentioning this ?  Because if you can get out another half cup that's another hour you can sleep.

Thomas

• Posted

Thomas I used to say to.my wife I loved having sex with because I could pee so easily afterwards. I never noticed after sex that flow was more restricted on the second pee or there after. It usually just went back to normal restricted flow
    • Posted

Hi uncklefester,

My urologist told me last year that it is important for those of us with BPH to have orgasms at least once a week. He said it was necessary to clean out the billions of small fluid sacs of stale fluid in the prostate by having the seminal fluid flush through it.

I also noticed what you do that after an orgasm my natural voids were better for a while. I think that is because the inflammation of the prostate (which is BPH) is reduced a little by flushing out its pores so the pressure on the urethra is reduced.

For some reason though I have developed some blood clots in my scrotum and a varicocele both in the left testicle so every time I have an orgasm I get terrible and very painful swelling of the left testicle which is only fixed by taking an antibiotic (Keflex). So now for the past few months I cannot have an orgasm and I have noticed that my natural voids have decreased. I have an appointment with my uro next week and I hope he can fix this problem!! If it isn't one thing it is another!

Howard

• Posted

I have been having severe constipation problems for about a year now. The open surgery did not resolve the issue. I have a "hollowed out" prostate 263 grams that you would think would not be thick and hard enough to push my rectum. I am going to try to get a referral to a PELVIC FLOOR THERAPY CENTER to see they can help me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.