Huge prostate impedes bowels

Posted , 15 users are following.

My prostate was <80cc when I had two urolift procedures.  The latest MRI scan last year showed a 123cc prostate. In addition to the 'usual' peeing problems, I now have difficulty passing motions.  

?It seems my bowel is empty possibly because solids cannot get past the enormous prostate pushing into bowels.

?Anyone any helpful comments please

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mike, I do feel for you that's a difficult challenge to have to live with, here is my suggestion, 1-find out exactly what area of the prostate is causing the issue, 2- if there is a safe way to remove the urolift clips when the time is right then coordinate the timing of that with FLA, why I suggest that is FLA can successfully remove prostate tissue from large prostates without removing the important functions as it is done through the rectum by means of a very small fibre optic laser under live mri and extremely precise although its expensive and may not be covered by insurance as it is the latest technology, the goal will be to end up with a much smaller prostate but have all the prostate remaining fully functional with no damage to any of the important prostate parts so every thing still works well- that is what they can do today! that is what Dr Karamanian did for me, he will be only to happy to help you, I traveled from New Zealand to Houston Texas to get him to do FLA for me as I had an enlarged median lobe of my prostate which he fixed with FLA, there was no pain both during or after surgery!, everything works well, everything in my prostate remains unharmed and untouched that is how precise and brilliant FLA is, I am convinced it is the future for many prostate problems and although expensive due to the high cost of the latest mri machines it is the least invasive option that leaves you with all your prostate parts and removes only the troublesome tissue, kind regards Brian PS many men on this forum are convinced they have better options as you will see by their replies to my post but it wont do you any harm to talk with Dr Karamanian you can find him by google under his name at the prostate laser center, he will be one of if not the best in the world at FLA and you will find him to be equally pleasant in his personality, he is the real deal. 

• Posted

If its impacting your bowels you should consider something that reduces the size - sooner than later. Rezum, FLA, PAE and Holep are all options - find a doc at a big hospital that performs all of them. FLA and PAE are done by interventional radiologists and Rezum/Holep are done by urologists. There are advantages to each and some are better candidates than others for every procedure. Don't get a TURP - its overkill.

• Posted

Hi

​I am on the list for aquablation which I hope is the best option

• Posted

I doubt that Aquablation is your best option. For one, its not FDA approved yet and according to my urologist, recovery is longer than any other procedure - even TURP. If your bowels become fully obstructed you will be in serious trouble. Why not try something like Rezum or Holep first? Lots of docs do both of them - I'm not sure if Rezum could solve your problem but it might and if so, you'd be fully recovered long before you ever even got in for Aquablation. If you aren't a candidate for Rezum, Holep is a good option. Longer recovery, but most do really well with it and you've got something that could get really bad really fast IMO.

• Posted

I think his prostate is too big for Rezume. I thought aquablation recovery was fast
    • Posted

They are doing Rezum now on prostates well over 100 now.  According to my uro, recovery from aquablation is longer than any other prostate procedure, including TURP, which it essentially replaces. Assuming the claims are supported by testing, Its less invasive with much less potential for problems, but the recovery is long.
    • Posted

last I read the largest was 80 gr for rezume. Good to know its bigger now.; 

• Posted

I remember a post by a guy that was part of the Aqua trials... after his Aquablation he said he was basically back to normal after 3 weeks, and he was rowing again at the 3 week point. Time will tell I guess in real world Aqua surgeries.............
    • Posted

There are people who recover really quickly from TURP too - and others that take months. I'm just repeating what my uro said - who is a top Doc at a renowned major hospital, does all of the procedures and is often involved in clinical trials - so I give his opinions a lot of weight. Time will tell after they've done a lot of them - typically trials paint a rosier picture than long term reality.

• Posted

Mike, I just had my 263 gram prostate cored out about 12 days age. I have had for about 2 years now pretty bad constipation problems. It seems that I find it very difficult pooping without straining. Sometimes when I pee I feel the need to poop wether or not there is any poop there. If there is no poop the feeling to have to poop goes away in a few minutes. SURGERY DID NOTHING TO CHANGE THIS FOR ME. The prostate "shell" is still there but you would think with not much "meat" inside it would not have the same force on the rectum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.