Humming in left leg, muscles twitching all over, and issues digesting food

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all!

So i'm new here and just wanted to get a second opinion from here regarding what i've been experiencing.

So a few months ago I started experiencing this random humming in my left leg. I just shrugged it off cause it was really random and nothing seemed to cause it.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago and I have been having constant and random twitching all over my body. About 75% of the twitching is in my left leg (the same one that has been experiencing the humming feeling) but I have also been twitching in my arms, right leg, abdomen, back, and a few other places. I went to my doctor last week and he gave me Gabapentin to try. I stopped after about 10 days because it didn't seem like it was having any effect other than making me feel physically and mentally awful. My doctor recommended giving it a try and if the issue persisted that I see a neurologist and have a brain MRI to check things out. 

I have not had any sort of weakness or anything in my left leg or anywhere else on my body that i've noticed. I am still running 3+ miles a day and not seeing any changes in that. Additionally, I have cut out alcohol and caffeine from my diet for about 10 days and have found that it has still been happening so I don't think that either of those are causing it.

The final symptom that i've been experiencing (that I don't know if its connected) is an issue digesting food and the urge to go to the bathroom directly after I eat. I was reading that this could mean that my body is not absorbing nutrients and that could be the cause of the twitching but I doubt that since, for the most part, it is isolated to my left leg.

Finally, i'm in the last 3 weeks of graduate school and i've been working a lot so i'm not sure if stress can cause something like this but I figured i'd include that as well.

I'll be setting up an appointment with the neurologist this week but I figured i'd come and get some additional feedback regarding my symptoms. 

Thanks to all of you!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also while we wait for answers. I bought something called earth grounding mat on amazon. It has helped me so much. As far as symptoms go. Helps with circulation and I definitely feel a difference. It’s better then popping pain pills everyday. And if you still need them I strongly feel you won’t need as much. I’m on day 6 of using it and it was worth every penny. It was around $120. It looks like you can get a full mattress sizes too.  At least do a search on it and read about it. I feel like everyone would appreciate the benefits.  
  • Posted

Kyle. Just out of curiosity are you taking any kind of probiotics?  I started taking them and stopped about 3 days ago. I also have been drinking lemon lime Gatorade a lot. Not sure what is helping but my twitching seems to have slowed a lot. Not entirely gone. But has been better. 
    • Posted

I have not been taking probiotics. I thought that maybe it could be a vitamin that I was taking but I stopped to see if it would go away and it hasn't. In regards to the gatorade, maybe you just had an electrolyte imbalance?

• Posted

Also, just an update.. i'm going in for an EMG and a brain MRI this friday. I got blood work done two weeks ago and it came back fine. Wish me luck.

• Posted

I am sure it will be ok but still goong to pray for best wishes and that you improve asap. Let us know what the results are and what the neurologist tell you.
  • Posted

So the EMG came back fine. The doctor believes that its simply related to stress and/or anxiety. Not sure if that may actually be it or not.. Still waiting to hear from insurance regarding the brain MRI. 
    • Posted

I figured your emg would be normal. Go on facebook and join the group bfs recovery. They will help you try to understand this benign condition. So happy hope it helps you feel better.
    • Posted

I joined last night. I’m interested to see what people have to say. And see what’s working for people. 
  • Posted

Has anyone been having issues with IBS and night sweats as well? I've been having night sweats more and more frequently but I don't know if its because its summer now or what.

• Posted

I had them before. Mainly because of anxiety. Lost about 20 lbs because of it. And IBS as well. Kyle. I’m not sure what the hell this is. But I’m starting to think it’s an intolerance that we are ingesting. Or a lack of some nutrients. I did a hair sample and it showed I was low in a few areas which I’m looking to improve. Going to see a holistic doctor/dietician next week so I can get a more organized diet with foods and supplements. It showed I was low in lithium levels and there were a few others as well that could be causing what I’m going through. There were a few things with my spine that could be causing it as well. But not really sure. The problem is finding the right combo might take awhile for me. I’ll keep you updated. But what you are going through is most likely anxiety related. I was sweating through my shoes during the day and my sheets at night. What helped me was klonopin.   I was prescribed .5 mg at night. But what I did was take a half a pill in the morning and a half a pill before bed. I’m no longer taking them because I didn’t want to rely on them. But I did take it for a month or so. Just to help ease my mind and get some sleep. The night sweats suck. Hang in there and go talk to your doctor. About some added help. Oh yeah. When I weaned myself off which wasn’t to bad I just took a half a pill at night every other night. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.