Hunger Pangs for past couple ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am a 28 year old male and I weight 165 lbs. The past couple days I have been experiencing some hunger pangs that occur when I go certain periods without eating. Last year I had a bout of gastritis that lasted from around April to mid-June. I suddenly go reflux, bloating, green stool, cramping, hunger pangs, you name it. I was put on some Prilosec otc for a month or so. It improved to a point but then I changed doctors because of other reasons. My new doctor took me off of prilosec and I took a H. Pylori test in July. The results came back negative. At the same time, my gastritis disappeared.

On Sunday evening, I noticed I felt similar hunger pangs but not as severe. Also I have no accompanying gastritis symptoms aside from heartburn sunday evening as a result of some spicy sphaghetti.

My weight has not fluctated and my stool is normal. I have no stabbing pains or cramps.

Could this be some milder form of gastritis or am I just overthinking this. I have been stressed with work and life in general lately. I cannot understate how unplesant last year's two month gastritis bout was. It sucked waking up everyday with nausua and accompanying hunger pangs. I woke up today with no nausea so that is good.

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sometimes when we are dehydrated we can feel hungry, when actually it is our body craving water. Maybe you are a little dehydrated. When you feel the hunger pangs drink at least half a pint of water, leave it for about 20 minutes and see if you still have that feeling.

Also, if you eat a lot of pasta or anything high in carbs/sugars, a couple of hours later you can feel hunger pangs even if you have eaten loads, because your blood sugar levels go very high, then drop suddenly. If this is the case, when you have a high carb meal, try and slowly and sip water, so you don't eat as much as you usually do. Did the spicy spaghetti have a tomato based sauce? Tomato based sauces usually have loads of sugar added affecting your blood sugar levels even more.

• Posted

You are lucky you recovered so quick when you had your gastritis last year. Probably you are young and is healthy. I hope I recovered as quick as you.

I think for now, who knows what it is, but you must make sure

1. Eat at regular times, never ever leave your stomach hungry for long periods of time.
    2. Try to start eating healthy now, food that is non acidic
    3. Try not to get too stressed and take some good relaxing exercise

Do this for a while and monitor your situation. Your body may be trying to tell you something, at least if you take good care of your body now, not hurt trying.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

A consultation with a registered dietition might do you some good.

• Posted

Sounds like a reaction to eating spicy food since the heartburn came on after the spicy pasta. Try some milk or antacids, and avoid anything rich, spicy or fatty. Above all try to stay calm. Anxiety can trigger heartburn and other gastric symptoms.

• Posted

So today when I woke up I felt fine. The hunger pangs started coming back some today but I chalk it down to have not eaten for several hours in the morning. I burped some too. I had some oatmeal and that seemed to satisfy those pangs.

Now those hunger pangs have returned. They are still not as bad as they were last year but they are noticeable. I wonder what is causing them and how I can get rid of them. I am not super hungry otherwise.

The good thing is I had no nausea or anything else this morning that I had last year. In fact I don't notice the pain when I am focused on something else.

Does anyone have any insight. I hate feeling hungry and being forced to eat when I don't want to.

• Posted

Try to eat little but often and don't wait too long before eating. If thinking about something else helps the pain, keep trying this technique and try not to focus on your stomach because anxiety can worsen gut upsets. If your gastritis has come back, a calm mind will help you. For now, try milk antacids and diet change and try a food diary to pinpoint any food irritants.

• Posted

Today I woke up actually not hungry. In fact I haven't felt hungry this morning at all. I did feel more acid reflux like symptoms like burping and some nausea. I also noticed I was more gassy today. Also after two days of not passing a bowel movement, I did this morning (sorry about the TMI). I wonder if this is gastritis or acid reflux. The hunger pangs are not as bad as they were but nonetheless my stomach is certainly acting up. Maybe my body is trying to tell me something

• Posted

I wouldn't worry too much about what your stomach is telling you. If you are getting heartburn, go straight back or antacids or PPIs. Don't worry about hunger pangs or not feeling hungry. Eat little but often and don't miss meals. Avoid rich, fatty and spicy foods and stay as calm as possible. If you felt better after your h pylori test, it is probable that you had been anxious before the test, but once you found it was negative, you calmed down and this helped your symptoms to subside.

I have chronic reflux but I don't worry about it. I simply take antacids which relieve it. I also have IBS which has greatly improved with a calmer mind. My negative tests made me more anxious because they didn't tell me anything, but my IBS diagnosis cleared my health anxiety and my IBS also got better. It sounds like that is what happened with you after your negative H pylori test. It doesn't sound a strange experience to me.

Since you have had gastritis before, you are probably worrying that it has come back and this is increasing your gastric symptoms. Try to distract yourself with things that make you happy. Even, if your gastritis had returned, don't worry. Simply treat it as you did before. Gastritis can come and go.

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging words. It seems that is what is happening. I felt PPIs worked for me but they were not perfect. I am not exactly sure why my gastritis went away. Should I consult my doctor prior to taking PPIs? I don't want to go to my doctor just for this. I may take the "Lets wait and See Approach" for a few weeks prior to doing that.

• Posted

I would just take the PPIs straight away and not wait it out especially if you have heartburn and you found they worked for you. Some PPIs are available over the counter. If your doctor originally prescribed them, there should be no problem in taking them without telling him first.

Gastritis can come and go in response to a food trigger or stress. It is possible that you felt more relaxed or something in your diet calmed down your gastritis. In any case, I wouldn't concern yourself as to why your gastritis went away; just be happy that it cleared up.

• Posted

well my old doctor gave me PPIs. My new doctor took me off of them so I could take my H pylori test. My symptoms cleared the same time so i never went back on them. Right now as i am writing this, i feel fine. No heartburn or anything. i have been eating things like nuts and crackers throughout the day plus i had a probiotic yogurt drink a hour or two ago. Hunger pangs have gone down too. Maybe I am getting better.

• Posted

In that case, only use the ppis as and when you need them.

• Posted

ok. When i got home from work. i took a brisk walk about the neighborhood and i felt a lot better as i was walking. I do feel gassy though. But no hunger pangs. In fact i dont have much of an appetite though. For dinner i will have an avocado, some lentil soup and some blueberries. I will have some ginger tea after dinner. Wonder if this was just a stress induced episode of acid reflux or something.

• Posted

I think stress is playing a large part in your symptoms. The light exercise you are doing will help to take your mind off your stomach and so will hobbies. Try not to focus on what caused your symptoms. Since you are feeling better, try making the most of that.

• Posted

so I woke up feeling nauseated but once I got up out of bed I felt better. Seems like some acid building up. No hunger pangs. In fact i am not even hungry atm although i will eat something later.

• Posted

Try your PPis if you feel nausea and acid build up. This medication is designed to help with both these symptoms. Don't be afraid to take your stomach medication, that's what it's there for. Heartburn can cause nausea. Don't focus so much on hunger/no hunger pangs and nausea. You will make your stomach worse by stressing too much about it. Try milk to settle your stomach; distraction techniques will really help you.

• Posted

ok thanks. I'm guessing I am puzzled because I am so think why i would be getting reflux. I'm also young too.

Yeah I had oatmeal for breakfast and still felt like acid was building up. Terrible feeling. Have a sour mouth too. Guess i will take the PPIs.

• Posted

So I phoned my doctor and they said I could start taking a PPI for two weeks and then to call if symptoms worsen. I also called because I am taking a cholesterol medicine and I was concerned they might interact with the PPI. I was told they wouldn't. I will start taking the PPI this weekend.

• Posted

Maybe the oatmeal is upsetting your stomach. Stop the oatmeal to see if that stops the acid. Don't worry about the cause of your reflux. Simply, take PPis to stop the heartburn. Once the heartburn eases, that should relieve your anxiety about it. When you have heartburn, it can damage the stomach lining over time if you don't take any acid blockers to protect your stomach. My brother, who is doctor, told me this.

• Posted

Ok. I read that it is considered unusual for adults under 50 to suddenly develop acid reflux/heartburn symptoms. My biggest fear is going a doctor and him recommending that an endoscopy be done. I was reading about how they are trying to limit endoscopys done for GERD because often they aren't necessary in many cases. I feel like doctors try to get you to do procedures that aren't neccessary. I seem to feel better in the afternoons after I have some food.

• Posted

Both my brother and me got reflux in our teens because of stress . In my case my lower oesophageal is weak as well. Eating regularly helps my reflux too. Missing meals is not good.

• Posted

so today i woke up with a little nausea but it wasn't bad. Had some oatmeal for breakfast and some low acid cofeee (probably not the best idea), felt a little acid come up. Overall I feel ok now. No hunger pangs. I also noticed if i chew my food longer so I don't get heartburn as much.

I think this seems to be an episode of acid reflux. I dont know why some things trigger an episode while others don't.

• Posted

I would exclude oatmeal and coffee from your diet completely to see if your heartburn goes away. Some foods trigger heartburn for some people while others don't. Everyone has their own individual reactions to certain foods. No one person is the same. Try a food diary to find your triggers and play around with your diet. My heartburn triggers are fatty, spicy foods; yours may be different. Chewing your food well, not rushing your food, eating blandly and not eating late at night will all help. Eat little but often and try to relax. Your PPIs will help too. Monitor stress levels to see if anxiety triggers your heartburn.

• Posted

So when i was on the phone with my friend an hour ago, I didnt even feel the pain or discomfort. It's like i was distracted from my stomach discomfort. now i am sitting at home and i can't feel any pain or discomfort. Seems like it is worse in the morning. I will try not eating coffee or oatmeal tomorrow. i have usually never had problems with oatmeal.

• Posted

Try milk in the morning to settle your stomach before eating. Sometimes, you can develop food reactions over time that you didn't have before. Good to hear, distraction techniques are working.

• Posted

i have read that PPIs can be bad for you in that they can reduce your B12 vitamin among other things. Have you PPIs affected you negatively?

• Posted

No, I haven't had any trouble at all with PPIs. I wasn't on them long enough for them to cause problems. Response to them varies from person to person. Some people have no bad side effects.

• Posted

ok. how long should i take OTC PPIs before i go to my doctor? The box says two weeks but i am improving by the day.

• Posted

Since you are improving rapidly, I wouldn't bother seeing your doctor. Only get medical advice if your symptoms worsen. I only see my doctor if I have symptoms that won't go away or get worse. Since your medication is working, this is a very good sign, so I would leave things as they are for the moment. You have no need to worry, especially if you are not having nasty side effects.

• Posted

well i havent started on my OTC PPI yet. I was waiting to see how my symptoms played out. They are getting better but I still have some heartburn and hunger pangs. I will start my PPI tomorrow for two weeks. I have been taking some Tums as symptoms have appeared. that has helped.

• Posted

Since you are still getting some heartburn and hunger pangs, that would suggest you still need antacids. When get heartburn, I don't wait to see if it will go away on its own because the burning is very unpleasant and it makes me cough. I take acid reducers straight away. By experience, I also know my symptoms don't improve on their own and will keep coming back until I treat them.

• Posted

OK. I will start my PPI regimen tomorrow morning. 1 tablet 20mg for 2 weeks. how soon should I take it before eating?

• Posted

So I took my pill this morning. When I woke, I felt really good. I had some nausea and some hunger pangs but seems like I am getting better each day. Hopefully the PPIs will speed that process up. I have eaten my breakfast but still feel like I still need to eat something but it is not a severe hunger pang/

How does acid mimic hunger or cause hunger?

• Posted

So today I woke up feeling fine. I had some nausea driving in to work along with some hunger pangs but I feel like I am getting better day by day.

Throughout this whole ordeal I have slept very well. I usually fall asleep without interruptions and wake up when I am supposed to. I recall last time I woke up in the middle of the night with severe hunger pains. It was awful.

• Posted

Yeah it is. I do wonder when these symptoms will fully go away though. They are kind of lingering around.

• Posted

True. Today my hunger pangs have subsided a bit but they are still. I still eat something every few hours to keep the hunger at bay. No hearburn though today or anything that feels like acid comes up. Hmm..

I think stress and anxiety might play a role in it. We will see.

• Posted

Keep taking antacids, try to avoid stress and eat blandly, little but often. Keep trying to focus on other other things to take your mind off your stomach. This is the very best you can do.

• Posted

so the last time i ate was three hours or ago and so far no hunger pains. I have been real gassy though. Its like my GI system cant make up its mind what it wants to do. Overall i feel better now but still have more to go.

• Posted

Try bicarbonate of soda for gassiness and avoid gassy drinks and foods such as broccoli, cabbage and Brussels Sprouts. Simply treat your symptoms when they come on and don't worry about it. You will have good days and flare ups; that's normal with gut problems. I have frequent heartburn and I take antacid regularly and just accept it as part of my life.

• Posted

So the past few days have pretty good. Yesterday and today I have experienced some nausea and acid buildup in the morning. Some hunger pangs too. My symptoms have improved in the afternoon. Today my hunger pangs were stronger than usual but they went away after eating. Overall i feel like the PPI is working. My weight has stayed the same and my other vitals are normal. We will see if this continues.

• Posted

I wouldn't focus too much on your symptoms and how you medications are working. try to forget about your stomach. Gut conditions tend to come and go; there will be good and bad days. When your stomach flares up, take your medication. Don't worry about whether your improvements continue or not.Simply learn to manage your condition without stressing too much about it. The more you think about your stomach, the more it will flare up. Try to distract yourself with other things.

• Posted

So an update. My heartburn has been almost eliminated. I get it here and there. I experimented by having a small cup of coffee this morning and sipped it and I did not get heartburn. The hunger pangs are still coming and going but have reduced in severity. This morning they were quite strong but nothing I couldnt handle. Overall I feel way better.

My question is should I continue to take this medicine after my 14 day period ends this monday or should I stop taking it and wait and see. I don't want a resurgence of acid that a lot of people get from not taking their PPI.

• Posted

Also I am starting to think this whole episode was caused by emotions such as stress and anxiety than an actual physical cause. Negative emotions have always manifested themselves into GI problems for me.

• Posted

You could try weaning yourself off the PPI slowly to reduce the risk of acid rebound.

• Posted

Stress and anxiety can cause gut problems. I got gut problems with stress too. Glad you're feeling better.

• Posted

so my hunger pangs have mostly gone but i feel nauseous in the morning. it goes away by mid morning but it is very unpleasant nonetheless. today is my last day of taking PPIs but i dont know if i should call my doctor to see if i should take them for a longer period of time or should i stop them now and observe. i dont have any more PPIs. i would have to buy new ones.

• Posted

ok. I will do that. i think maybe the ppi itself is giving me this nauseous feeling. I had a bland breakfast this morning with a biscuit and some fruits and green tea. I had some coffee but only after i ate. i feel mostly fine now.

• Posted

So today I felt some nausea in the morning and then it came and went throughout the day. The good thing is that I had no hunger pangs or hearburn all day. I didn't have any yesterday. Also I noticed that the last few days I was on my PPI, my whole lower body ached. It felt like I had just worked out only that I hadn't. Could body aches be a side effect of PPIs? Funny enough they are gone today. I will wait a few days and see if the nausea subsides before I go to my doctor. The PPI technically worked but then created some new symptoms. That's what I hate about medicines.

• Posted

Joint pain can be caused by PPIs along with the nausea. It looks like you are very concerned by the side effects. When this, happens the bad reactions begin to outweigh the benefits.It seems that this is causing you anxiety too. I would come off the PPIs slowly and switch to over the counter antacids which are milder. You do not need to tell your doctor you are doing this.

• Posted

Which antacid type should I switch to? It seems like when I eat I have some nausea afterwards. I ran out of ppi's as I only bought 14 day supply.

• Posted

It doesn't matter what OTC antacid you take; I find any of them effective. If the PPIs are causing the nausea, this side effect should wear off once you have stopped taking them. The other possibility is that something you are eating is making you feel sick. Try a food diary since the nausea is coming on after eating and try to relax. Stressing about your symptoms will make you feel worse.

• Posted

Yeah this morning the nausea has subsided somewhat. It was bad last night. I woke up in the middle of the night but it went away.

Today I feel some acid coming back up. I feel comparatively better but not great overall.

• Posted

I have chronic reflux so I am often drinking milk and chewing antacids.

• Posted

Ok. I guess I am experiencing some rebound acid. My doctor said tums would be fine when I spoke with them a few weeks ago. I will just do antacids for now. My nausea has gone down. I prefer heartburn to nausea although hopefully I will be free of all symptoms soon.

• Posted

The nausea may also be a result of anxiety about your symptoms.

• Posted

So I called my doctors office and told them about my condition. They seemed befuddled by it like i was calling if my PPI worked. i told them about my nausea and they recommended i take a probiotic tablet and see if it helps.

• Posted

Probiotics can help with digestion by promoting good gut flora. You will need to try them for a month to see if they are effective. It depends on the cause of your nausea as to whether or not it works.

• Posted

i will. I want to have good overall gut health though. i feel like my nausea is stress/anxiety related.

• Posted

If the nausea is stress related, you will need to get your anxiety under control with relaxation therapy/CBT or gut targeted hypnosis. Ask your doctor about that.

• Posted

so today was much better. some nausea in the morning but it has cleared up. I had a pressing matter this afternoon to attend to and my mind wasnt on my stomach.

• Posted

Sounds like anxiety triggers your symptoms but when you are focused on other things, your symptoms subside because you are calmer. Work on trying to control your anxiety.

• Posted

So today I had a very good day. I had a little nausea upon waking up. I had a bannana and bluberries for breakfast. I played golf this morning and afternoon so my mind was totally focused on that. I really had no nause whatsoever.

I had hamburgers and some other stuf for lunch. I feel really full. I usually am more hungry but I don't much of an appetite as much i thought I did. Now I just feel really full. At least I don't have hunger pangs.

I guess that distraction technique worked.

• Posted

i am feeling much better day however i have another concern. I noticed today i havent had a bowel movement.I normally have one everyday. what is normal or abnormal for this? i feel fine otherwise but am just curious.

• Posted

Since you are feeling fine, I wouldn't give it another thought especially as you have noticed you only missed a bowel movement today, which is only one occasion. Try not to give yourself extra things to worry about. Worry upsets the gut. The important thing is to relax and concentrate on the fact that you are feeling much better.

• Posted

So I had a bowel movement this morning. It wasn't much however I realized how silly it was for me to worry about it.

My stomach feels mostly fine. I am going to continue my modified diet and improve.

I just become so hyperaware of stuff like this like bowel movements and such.

• Posted

Try concentrating on hobbies to take your mind off your stomach and bowel. I have IBS and I don't worry about my bowel,at all. Forgetting about it stops my symptoms from flaring up..

• Posted

I was once told the "normal" was anything from 3 times a day to once every 3 days. As a Diverticular Disease sufferer I go several times a day, but that's "normal" for me. Occasionally I get bunged up for a day or more, but that soon sorts itself out. Bodies are strange things and do react to stress and worry.

• Posted

Ok. I will do that.

The good news is that I took my BP last night and it was 108/68. So my other vitals are normal.

I check my vitals less and less compared to where I was before.

I still have hypochondria but I feel like it is at least a bit better than even a few months ago.

• Posted

When you have health anxiety, it is better not to keep checking your BP because it can lead to more anxiety. To be honest, your BP readings can vary throughout the day depending on what you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.