Hungry Hippo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Question Ladies,

When I first hit this crazy stage about 5 months ago, I had no appetite and was barely eating. I lost a lot of weight really quickly. Since then, I started forcing myself to eat and now I'm eating more. The last two weeks, I have been really hungry and craving sweets. I haven't indulged too much to keep the sugar cut down some. Is this normal to go from not eating to being hungry all the time even after I have eaten a meal?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jamie

My appetite flucuates a lot and my periods are inconsistent. I'm 53 and I believe I started peri in my mid 40's. Once peri started nothing seemed normal anymore smile

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

You are right. Nothing is normal anymore. I'm starting to feel like this is my "new normal".

• Posted

Yes. I was much skinnier and barely snacked last Spring. Lost almost 20 lbs. It was very scary. Now almost a year ago. Gained almost 20 lbs. back and always hungry too.
    • Posted

I was just wondering if this was normal. I lost weight quick and it was scary. But I noticed I'm hungry more and crave chocolate a lot. When at first I didn't want anything but to know what was happening to me. I haven't lost anymore. Looks like I'm at a stand still. I was always a fairly small person, over the last three years I got really big. Gained weight rapidly like I couldn't stop eating. So when I lost my appetite I definitely scared. Now It seems like I went back to being hungry all the time overnight.
    • Posted

Jamie, same here... I'm feeling the "new normal" vibe, too, and definitely have been gaining weight in spite of getting a good amount of exercise... always craving sugar and carbs and have been perimenopausal for just over a year.
    • Posted

I'm starting to crave a lot of carbs and sugar. I went to the store yesterday and fought the urge to get a chocolate chip drink and I really wanted it. I been staying away from chocolate and caffeine cause it makes me jittery and nervous.
    • Posted

It's hard, isn't it?  I'll go to the store with a list of exactly what I need to buy, with nothing on it but the healthy things I should have, and just stand there and stare at the stuff I shouldn't buy... so hard to pass up those yummy chocolate drinks, pastries, desserts, etc., yet I know they can make things worse.  Thank you for sharing about what you're going through, we are in this together!
    • Posted

Thank you so much. We are in this together and we will get through it.
    • Posted

I know what you mean Jamie. I can seriously sit down and devour a whole bag of chips all by myself.
  • Posted

Im always hungry!!! I crave sweets and diffrent kinds of food. This depresses me cause im not a small person never have been
    • Posted

I understand. At least you have an appetite. I didn't have one. So to go back to having one is ok. I was losing weight and fast which was scary. I wasn't looking good at all. Now I look a little better as I am coming to accept what's going on with my body, and just trying to find ways to cope.
    • Posted

I felt the same as you did Jamie. My OBGYN even told me women in menopause don't lose weight, they gain it. So think how I felt. Thinking I had cancer or something BSD making me lose all this weight for no reason. Granted I was scared of this. She and my PC both had no idea why? I stopped going to both if them. Joined this forum and slowly I figured out I wasn't crazy and i wasnt dying since others had experienced the same thing. I researched and treated my own self. Not cured of this crap just able to deal with it better. This forum and everyone's advice was my saving grace. I feel a bit better and gained almost all my as ght back. Probably a little too much back but I'm OK with it.

Just taking it day by day. Hoping each day I will feel a little better.

• Posted

I started treating myself as well. All my doc says is I'm too young, but yet has no answers to anything. I have an appointment for tomorrow with a new GYN. Hopefully they can tell me something but I'm not counting on it.
  • Posted

For me, peri has at times been like being stuck in pms. So, I've had times where I'm having no appetite to nonstop craving! 
    • Posted

Me too and I wondered if that was normal. I have times where I didn't want to eat and other times I feel like I can't eat enough.
    • Posted

Yes its one or the other. Mostly I can eat more than less.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.