Hungry Hippo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Question Ladies,

When I first hit this crazy stage about 5 months ago, I had no appetite and was barely eating. I lost a lot of weight really quickly. Since then, I started forcing myself to eat and now I'm eating more. The last two weeks, I have been really hungry and craving sweets. I haven't indulged too much to keep the sugar cut down some. Is this normal to go from not eating to being hungry all the time even after I have eaten a meal?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am so glad you posted. I was so scared as to what was happening. I started getting really bad nausea in the morning and no appetite for days on end. I felt like I was in the 1st trimester of pregnancy with morning sickness somedays. I have lost 20+ pounds in such a short time. I am forcing myself to eat and even considered buying weight gain shakes just to put the weight back on. I have had so many people ask me if I am ok, because I look so skinny sad I felt like I was dying and something was really wrong, especially since I have been having shortness of breath, anxiety attacks, brain fog, dizziness, tingling in the feet and hands, strange chest pain and feeling blue since this whole thing started. I even went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack! None of the doctors want to admit this is perimenopause/menopause symtoms. They keep saying I am fine according to tests they ran and I am just depressed and have an anxiety disorder, oh and here, take these antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. I feel so much better knowing that others are having this problem and they are not dying. I hope this all goes away soon. I can't afford to loose anymore weight. 
    • Posted

I'm going through the same things. I've lost 20lbs. In the 5 months this has been happening to me. So I understand. It's all frieghtening. I've been ton the ER dozens of times and they tell me I'm ok. Docs don't want to admit peri. So you are not alone.
    • Posted

I lost 20 lbs. Last year too. My drs. Told me all the same things. I took all these tests thinking I had cancer, or some rare terminal disease. None of my tests pointed to that. Never once did any if my drs. Obgyn nor PC said my symptoms were perimdnopausal related.

My pc insisted I had bad anxiety so she put me on Xanax. Didnt help me at all. In fact it made me worse. I even broke out with a terrible rash all over my body. I ended up not going to the drs. and stopped looking up stuff on the internet.

Long story short. I ended up getting better. I can't exactly tell you how I got better. I basically had to take matters into my own hands. I read things on this firum that helped me. Taking viramins D & B12 seemed to help. Keeping busy with your mind and body is so important. I started back at the gym. Ate more, forced myself to do more things like I used to. It's mind over matter. I slowly got my weight back. Took s very long time though. Like 6 or 7 mos. but gained it all back and then some.

I have a very supportive husband, family and good friends that encouraged me and actually listened and gave me helpful advice. Ultimately, it comes down to You. You have to want to help yourself. Do everything you can to get yourself better, whether its using HRT or natural remedies. We're all going through this in one form or another, and were hear to listen and help.

This forum is s God-send.

Good Luck Snowbell!

• Posted

Thank you didi, 

Its comforting to hear you were able to gain it back and yes, this fourm is from heaven. I had no idea so many women were feeling this way, especially since the doctors seem to look at you like you are just crazy and that makes you think you are seriously ill and dying. 

• Posted

I know that's the most frustrating part. That no matter how many drs. you discuss your symptoms with. They immediately think you are crazy. It makes you lose your test in drs. or the entire medical profession altogether and that's realky sad.

Hang in there Snowbell. Hope things get better for you.

BTW- I took those energy shakes too. They don't taste that great, but felt they did help some. Just keep eating a little more every day, keep busy, exercise and you'll eventually get your appetite and weight will come back.

• Posted

I did the same thing. I stopped googling and stopped running to the hospital. I was leaving more frustrated than i was when i got there. My docs never said anything about peri except for a new GYN that I saw last week mentioned that it might be peri. None of that was helping me. I have been riding it out without taking meds. I only take what was prescribed to me and that's an iron tab, folic acid tab, and my BP med. I've researched enough to know that what's going on is hormonal and I don't need any docs to tell me how I feel. Its still rough but I deal with it.
    • Posted

Me too Jamie. Just take whatever works best for you. I'm thinking drs. don't value what you say or think your just crazy. I know my own body and when its not right. I don't need a Dr. running all these tests telling me its possibly this, that, or the other. If I can get all my money back from the tests and drs. Appts. I made last year that concluded nothing. If I could have just found this site before all those symptoms hit me hard last year. Wouldn't have wasted my time and money.

Oh well... Had to learn the hard way I guess.

Hang in there Jamie!

• Posted

That's how I feel. I would have known what peri was Im sure it would have helped. Better to be safe than not. At least we've been checked for anything serious. Just mad at the process. The symptoms seem to come and go. Now I'm back to the insomnia. For a while I was just waking up every hour. The past two nights have gone back to no sleep at all. I fell asleep at 12:00am and woke up at 1:00am. Went back to sleep at 4:00am and woke up at 5:00am. I dream crazy soon as I fall asleep wake up shaky with my pulse up a little. Now I'm going to be a tired mess all day.
    • Posted

Yeah my sleep patterns aren't that great either. Mostly cause I get terrible, night sweats that start around 2:00 a.m.and last til about 5:00 a.m. So I'm waking every coupke of hours. I'm lucky if I get 3 to 4 hrs. of sleep a night. It's a pain in the behind, but I'm getting used to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.