Husband just diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband was told he has bowel cancer following a colonoscopy.Waiting for scans.My fear is that if it has spread will he still be able to have an operation to remove the tumour?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenny

So sorry to hear your news- I had a tumour removed last year (colon)-and it was okay afterwards-hadn't spread. Husband needs results of the scan before doctor can say yes/no as to whether it's spread-

If you look at Beating Bowel Cancer  website on-line- there is a phone number for nurses-but they are only there Monday-Friday- Perhaps they could give some helpful advice.

Hope the news will be good as to what scan showed ?

Regards

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, Thanks so much for your reply.Just had appointments for scans for this Sunday and Monday.Hoping so much for a good result.

How long did you wait for scan results?

Regards

Jenny.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Results confirmed  when my next appointment with consultant was due about 10-14 days later.

But, maybe your GP could find out sooner? ?

(Everything goes 'on screen 'so maybe it could be sooner ?

Hope news will be good.

Susan.

• Posted

Hi Susan, Both scans were done last Sunday.It's only been 3 days but feels much longer.The waiting is horrendous and I know I shouldn't but I keep imagining the worst that could happen.

Hope we hear something soon.

Regards

Jenny.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Try and cope and think as positive as you can-(I know it's hard for you)

Keep me informed of any news.(I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you)!

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Just a quick update.I rang the colorectal nurse this morning and she said an appointment has been arranged for Tuesday 22nd to discuss results and our plan.Another week to wait but hopefully it will be positive news.

Jenny.

• Posted

Good girl - hope your husband and self will both receive good news-

Susan.

• Posted

Hello Susan, My husband is having his operation on December 6th to remove his early stage cancer with no obvious spread.So happy that this nightmare is nearly over.

Jenny.

• Posted

Hope all will be well for you both afterwards and that you will be able to enjoy Xmas and the New Year -

Very best wishes to both

Happy Holidays!

Susan xx

• Posted

Thank you Susan and very best wishes to you and yours.

I will stay in touch.

Jenny xx

• Posted

Hello Susan, My husband had his operation yesterday and all went as planned and he is progressing very well.The best news is that he didn't need to have a stoma.Hoping that the final biopsy results are good as that is all I want for Christmas this year.

Thanks for being there when I needed to talk to someone and hope you have a healthy Christmas and New Year.

Jenny xx

• Posted

Oh Jenny I am so pleased for you both - at least you will both be able to enjoy the Season!

Was thinking of you most of the time-even though I don't know you personally.

That is wonderful news.

Hope my  scan/check in Jan and consultation in Feb will go well-I feel o.k   t.g. !

Warmest wishes

Susan.

• Posted

Hello again Susan, Well we had Martins final results on Tuesday.We were told he is all clear with no lymph nodes affectad which is brilliant news.He was then given the option of 6 months "mop up " chemotherapy or just have scans every so often.We were told they can never be 100% sure that the cancer may or may not  return so the chemo would be an additional  safeguard.We have an appointment in January to discuss whether to go ahead or not.

Did you have any follow up treatment? Any advice would be appreciated.

Warmest wishes to you,

Jenny.

• Posted

Hi Jenny-so pleased husband is on the mend!

I can't comment on chemo as didn't have any-(lucky me).

Perhaps  should try it and see how he feels afterwards-depends on what the outcome of discussions will be--everyone feels different after chemo (a friend of mine had bad reaction-so she had stop it).

Having my CT Scan in Jan -and will be watched for next 3 years to see if I am clear of cancer or not-(expect your husband will be doing similar).

Hope you'll both enjoy Xmas and have a Happy, Healthy 2017!

Warmest wishes-Sue xx

• Posted

Hi Susan, Just back from the hospital.My husbands cancer was stage 2 and out of 17 lymph nodes none were cancerous.We now have to decide whether to go for chemo as they said it would only give him a 3% additional chance of it recurring.The doctor said out of 100 people with this type of cancer only 15 would have a recurrence anyway so with chemo this would drop to 12 in 100.

Hope your CT scan results are all clear.

My best wishes..........Jenny xx

• Posted

You will both have to make a decision about chemo or not-perhaps you both could speak to your GP- ask him what he would advise ?

I really couldn't comment because I've never had any -

I haven't had any results from scan yet (only had it last week)won't see consultant till Feb (about 3 weeks time). Bloods next week.

Sincere wishes

Susan.

• Posted

Keeping my fingers crossed for a clear scan and blood result for you.

We will wait now for the results of the test that will show more clearly whether having chemo will be advisable.

Best wishes

Jenny.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.