Husband just diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband was told he has bowel cancer following a colonoscopy.Waiting for scans.My fear is that if it has spread will he still be able to have an operation to remove the tumour?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Have just read this conversation and am pleased all appears ok. I didn't have chemo and wasn't offered it. I've passed the 3 year mark with no scares. The only complaint is the variation in b m's, but as my Dr said, 'at least you're getting rid of it now!' (The tumour caused a blockage.) Sorry to intrude into your conversation, but it's good to read encouraging posts. Good health. 

• Posted

Hi John

Glad to hear you are doing  so well t.g.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my scan will be clear and bloods also.

Stay well

Best wishes

Susan

• Posted

Hello John, It is so confusing as we were told that if any of the lymph nodes had been affected we would have been advised to have the chemo.As they were all clear we have the choice.They also said they will do another test to help us decide whether to go ahead or just have regular monitoring..

Best wishes to you

Jenny.

• Posted

Must be a bit different here, NZ. I wasn't given a choice. All lymph nodes ok too. I started with 3 monthly CEA tests and consultations. After 3 years it's 6 monthly CEA and 9 monthly consultations. I had a colonoscopy after 1 year (all clear) and the next one will be after 4 years. I've had one CT scan after 18 months, apart from the one to find the problem and one after surgery to check. I had an emergency extended right hemicolectomy. Sounds nasty and it could have been if left any longer. So don't worry, everything sounds very positive and you'll be well advised about future decisions, I'm sure! 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.We will wait for the results of the last test and decide then.Will keep you updated.

Best wishes

Jenny.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.