Husband's Pancreatitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

My husband is critically ill with pancreatitis - I feel he is going to pass away and I am so sad.  His case is extremely severe, he has been ill and in ICU for over 3 months.  He just had a pseudocsyst on his pancreas drained and they cut away necrotic tissue from his pancreas. However, he is in septis now with infection throughout his whole body.  They are trying everything.  Does anyone know if this is "survivable"  or he is doomed.  He has suffered beyond anything. Thanks

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am so very sorry ! My condolances and lots of fortitude in this very difficult time for you. Life is so unfair.
  • Posted

So sorry for your loss
    • Posted

thank you   I am glad your husband did survive, even tho he has some major challenges    I would have given anything for Ron to have made it even if he had been frail for the rest of his life...good luck to you and your husband!
    • Posted

O seetheart I'm so very sorry for. Your loss you are in my prayers xxx
    • Posted

thank you its going to be a rough week with his funeral and all
  • Posted

Oh gosh I am so so sad for you it was obviously what you feared when you posted on friday. Nothing anyone can say can make you feel any better about this awful situation you are in. Your husband obviously knew you were with him through all this and supported and loved him and that no doubt made him feel better. you are in my thoughts. Please come back on here if you want support. It is such a nasty illness I looked after my father through it. Take care of yourself.
  • Posted

Hello wildjflippin,

I apologize in advance if this response is long. I EMPATHIZE completely! This is a posative response. Dump all negativity as your husband needs you at full confidence, strength and support. That being said, your husband is NOT "doomed". The septis needs to be cured and will be! I would like to refer you to Dr. Douglas Evans (the top pancreatologist on the globe. He works out of Freodtert Hospital in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (United States) phone 1-414-805-5801. I know this website is in the U.K. but I found it searching for other conditions and thought maybe you, like me live in ths States. If you do not, I still provided his information so that you can call him and if you dont have the means to get to him,he can refer you to the best in your area. 

I myself had 3 very large Pseudo cysts on my pancrease. Chemo from my first bout with cancer did irreperable damage to my pancrese in 2003. However, I lived without pancreatic attacks until 2010. It was only in an "acute" state" for a few months, then the attacks came a few time a week and were updated to Chronic where it remained until May 2014. The last attack should have killed me. They do not know why it didn't. Fortunately the head of my pancreatic team refered me to Dr. Evans within months of my initial attacks in 2010. In his words he said: "John, you are out and above our area of expertise." From then til present Dr. Evans is my pancreatologist. I highly encourage you to at least get in touch with him. He did NOT drain my cysts. He said it would increase pain and not solve the issue. My last attack happened as I took a small swallow of water to wash down pain meds. I immediately felt as though a man with a sledge hammer smashed my left should which left me unable to speak or do anything, that was immediately followed with the intense pain of a regular pancreatic attack. Fortunately my mother was visiting from out of state and witnessed this. She called my neighbor and rushed me to the nearest hospital. I was only there for an hour or so to stabalize me, then was transported directly to Freodtert (Dr. Evans).

He thought my spleen was dead and assembled a team to enter my groin and go up to my spleen before opening me up. They found that my spleen did infarct but only about half of it died. They put 12 coils on my splenic artery then had me rushed to radiology where they performed an I.V. contrast cat scan. The cat scan should 2 Aneurysms that for whatever reason ( I like to think God was watching over me) didn't explode, portal vein thrombosis along with other smaller issues. They went in put aneurysm clips (about 20), removed my gall bladder as there are connections with gall stones increasing likelyhood of pancreatic cysts and attacks. Dr. Evans said that  I could not survive another attack at this point and started me on Octreotide/Sandostation injections. I took these injections once per month for a little over 2 years. I had to increase my Pacncreatic enzyme intake to 60,000 units 6 times a day as well during this time. They performed contrast cat scans every few months along the way and every scan showed that my cysts were shrinking. Finally after 2 years cysts were very small and they had me stop the injections, lowered my enzyme intake and said: "I'll see you in 2 years for follow up."  During my time with Dr. Evans, I spent much of my life in the hospital and several surgeries as he found cancer (my second bout with cancer and a different type). However, I am very thankful that God put this man on the planet and directed him to me through other fantastic men that I am also thankful for. I hope mentioning God does not offend you! Please call Dr. Evans! Please stay strong for husband. The road is long but very survivable. If you want to exchange personal info ie, phone number and e-mail just let me know. I will be praying for you, him and any and all healthcare proffessionals that come in contact with him no matter what and who they are. 

• Posted

Also, if your husband is on Morphine ask that he be taken off morphine and use Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) instead! Much much safer, faster acting,far far less negative side effects (hallucinations and such), also the withdrawls from morphine are can kill in itself once pulled off and will make him very sick (intense increased pain, nausea, vomitting, cold sweats, itching, just to name a few. He will need to go thru months of weening him off the morphine for when it's time. And in the event you're wondering, switching him from morphine to Dilaudid will NOT cause him to suffer ANY morphine withdrawls and or negative side effects. 

Sincerely,

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.