Hyaluronic Shot questions

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have sevre OA in the right(bone on bone) and moderate in the left. I had cortisone shots 2 weeks ago and it was great for the first week and a half....now the pain is starting again. Doctor says next step are these Hyaluronic Shots, 5 shots over the course of 5 weeks. Says these can help for months at a time and can postpone the surgery. 

This has the potential for financial hardship as each office visit costs money out of pocket. I'm not sure that it is worth the money. I'm looking for anyone who has had these shots and what their experience might have been. Also wondering if I can get any relief with less than 5 of them. Just looking for expierence in this. Surgeon says that TKR is needed for the right knee and that seems very overwhelming at this time in my life. 

thx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the shot twice in my right knee and it helped SO MUCH! At first it was a 3 shot but this time was a one shot- the doctor said they did away with the 3 shot and now just do a higher dose in the one shot. I am not sure why yours is 5 shots, why put someone thru 5 injections. Also, do whatever knee exercises that Physical Therapy says to do- those help so much too! If you keep the muscles around the knee strong it alleviates pain and more damage. Do you not have insurance? 
  • Posted

Amy

I am 1 week out on my 2nd Knee Replacement / Had the 1st one 10 weeks ago. 1st is great and hoping for the same on the 2nd one. I had the injection shots on both knees for the past 3 - 5 years. They do help if you want to wait on the Knee replacement. One thing to keep in mind all the shots do is prolong what really needs to happen ( getting a Knee replacement )

Your age is a factor - I just turned 60 and I needed to just get them done - I noticed as the years went I started to get bowlegged and before it got worse I needed to act. I was scared at 1st but now that I have gone through the process I should have done them years ago.

Good luck

• Posted

Well, I do have insurance but even with insurance I'll have to pay $40 a visit, so that equals $200. This is in addition to other doctor visits I have as I am a breast cancer patient that still sees my surgeon and oncologist and those visits are coming up as well. 

I am only 43, so I don't know if that makes it worse to prolong or better. I'm trying to figure out if chemo has caused these arthritic problems for me as this has all gotten much worse since I completed treatment. 

• Posted

OH, Sorry to hear that honey. Explain to your ortho and see if he can come up with a better option for you- tell him you know people that had the "ONE SHOT" version. Good luck! 

• Posted

Good idea....I didn't even think to ask for an alternative. thank you

• Posted

I am almost 60 years old. I think age matters. Cortisone shots stop working for me then I moved on to the series of gel shots. They did nothing to help. I switched Dr's to a highly recommended ortho for a couple reasons. He agreed to do both TKR's. I am 4 weeks post op today. So glad I did both. I am recouping well. One knee no pain, one knee sore around the knee cap. I'm off pain meds and only use over the counter pain relief. I go back to work next week.

• Posted

Age matters how....are you saying that its better to wait until I'm older or do it sooner? I really have no idea what to expect here. 

• Posted

I think the younger, the quicker for recovery. Although, I did not see the health issues you are facing before I answered you. I would go by the advice of your oncologist. Good luck and health to you!
  • Posted

I have never heard of Hyaluronic acid.  However, there is a product called SynVisc that does 3 shots over 15 days...lasts up to a year...or SynVisc One...one shot lasts six months.  I used the former many times and lasted 10-11 months each time.  Very successful.  Great way to avoid a TKR.
  • Posted

Hello, having had the two types of shots and then both knees replaced this last summer, I would go for the knee replacement if possible. The out of pocket costs are a lot for the shots. The hylauronic shots did not help me, but the May buy you some time. I had to get them before the knee replacements for insurance purposes. Check with your insurance. I understandstand. All the best to you.
  • Posted

Amy, I was 53 when I had both knees replaced last year. It has made the biggest difference in my life. ❤
  • Posted

Hyalgan worked for me. First time lasted almost a year. I could not play golf, but everyday life was good. Second time it lasted about 9 months. Third time it lasted about 4 months because one night I danced the night away while on vacation. The next morning I got up and knew I was in trouble. Ended up scheduling TKR.

I also paid out of pocket, about $300 per visit for both knees. You may not need all five shots and may need less in subsequent rounds. Is it a solution, no. It is prolongation of possible TKR. depends on how active you are and how your body absorbs it. Will it give you relief and better temporary quality of life, yes (if it works for you). Good luck, none of this is fun.

• Posted

Amy

Don't waste your money they don't work.

If you are bone on bone you need TKR. It's the only answer.

• Posted

Oh yeah by the way Amy I had both my knees replaced Jan 28th 2016 both knees same day it's not easy but better than wasting your money on useless shots.

• Posted

I would tend to agree.  SynVisc worked great for me years ago but when my doc saw bone on bone last year, he said that the SynVisc would only be a very temporary solution, hence the TKR.  Sometimes, you reach the end of the line and there's only one way to go.  However, you're not at that stage, you may consider the shots...and yes, some people have more luck with them than others.  No telling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.