Hyaluronic Shot questions

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have sevre OA in the right(bone on bone) and moderate in the left. I had cortisone shots 2 weeks ago and it was great for the first week and a half....now the pain is starting again. Doctor says next step are these Hyaluronic Shots, 5 shots over the course of 5 weeks. Says these can help for months at a time and can postpone the surgery. 

This has the potential for financial hardship as each office visit costs money out of pocket. I'm not sure that it is worth the money. I'm looking for anyone who has had these shots and what their experience might have been. Also wondering if I can get any relief with less than 5 of them. Just looking for expierence in this. Surgeon says that TKR is needed for the right knee and that seems very overwhelming at this time in my life. 

thx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The shots will buy you time, time to adjust. See my comment below, I had my knees replaced 08/10/16 and 11/30/16. Needed to get on with my life and get back to activity. I am only 55 and had been suffering for years, shots were last effort. Good luck, you will know when you are ready.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone....I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure how I"m going to proceed, but I'm going to give it some time. I do need to discuss this with my oncologist next month at our appointment and make sure none of these treatments interfere with the cancer treatment. Thanks again! 

• Posted

Hi Amy, I am 50. I hd tkr Mrch 2016. Was bone on bone severe arthritis, difficulty walking. In Dec 2015 i received Hyaluronic​ injection...1 single injection. it took away the pain for 12 hours...yes hours but after that pain was far worse. I would have tried anything but unfortunately did not work for me. My other knee need done and I have turned down injections this time and just going wait for replacement. Best wishes, let us know what you decide.
  • Posted

Hi Amy ,

I had SynVisc shots.

1 shot for 3 wks = 3 shots

First one lasted 18 months for me

I did this for 8 yrs. They stopped working after 6 yrs but I was refused

TKR because I was too young.

• Posted

Wolf

I'm not sure what to young means, now the have custom knees that last 30 plus years. Taking shots mask the pain, and your knees disintegrate to bone on bone. I had both my knees totally replaced same day less than a year ago. It was not easy but necessary to keep me out of a wheelchair later. Now coming up on a year post op I am so glad I did it. Things that are worthwhile are never easy. Those shots are expensive And they don't work for most people . I still say read up on the shots and make an informed decision . Hey wolf if your like 12 please disregard this post.

• Posted

I too have wondered if these shots are masking the pain will that make this issue worse, I mean bone on bone is pretty darn bad right? I also have to think about the fact that I take a medication for breast cancer that has a known side effect that causes joint pain. I'm still trying to figure out if this medication has made my arthritis worse, but now I'm wondering if the side effect of joint pain will override the shot. I called the doctor's office to speak with a nurse and that was little to no help. I'm not crazy about this doctor or his staff, so that might need to change too. 

idk, lots to consider. I'm at a point of not wanting to deal with it when it gets overwhelming. the pain is still managed with the cortisone shot, but I know it's wearing off and won't last forever. For now I'm gonna wait and see. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.