Hyper due to a hot nodule

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid after plenty of scans,bloodwork ,etc, Had my needle biopsy come clean as far as no cancer found, I have all the classic hyper symptoms,....tired yet wired!!  Anyway,my first thought after getting my biopsy results was ' great,,,I can go on meds and feel better soon'.   Wrong.   My referred Endoc. Either wants me to do RAI or surgery to remove 1/2 my thyroid.   He claims that if the dose of RAI is small enough to where it will target the hot nodule which is spitting out excess hormones causing me to be hyper,.....and that my chances of becoming hypo after RAI in this case are very small,    Everything I've read about RAI says otherwise,   Why can't I be treated with meds?   Just looking for opinions in hopes someone is familiar with hot nodule treatments,  I'm new to all this, and learning as I go,  I'd love any input from you all,  How many have sought 2nd opinions?ty for any help 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree with Nonita that you should have tests for all types of antibodies, both for Graves (TSI and TBII or TRAb) and Hashimoto's (TGAb and anti-TPO) to be thorough.  I have read that when a person has both Graves and nodules that treatment for Graves with meds can decrease the size of the nodules.  I also agree with most of what Shelly advised also.  I would not do the surgery unless I had the answers above and tried a course of meds.  For myself, I have Graves and my disease improved tremendously on a low dose of Methimazole (Carbimazole in England) plus supplements, regular L-Carnitine, and especially Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Vitamin D3 and Magnesium. 
    • Posted

Hi linda,..... I called to speak to my Endo as I have quite a few questions and I'll ask about the tests for antibodys for graves and hashimotos.  I'd guess they were done on me but who knows,    I just don't like feeling pressured into anything,..... But I'm thinking the majority of docs are the same and push for RAI,    Thank you for your help.   In my research I stumbled on a few people mentioning L carnitine.   Selenium too,  
  • Posted

I asked Endo on the phone about being tested for antibodys that might show graves or hashimotos and he said I'm negative for either, my TSH is low.    I see him this Wednesday and as of right now I'm looking into having the lobe or hot nodule surgically out,   Praying a surgeon agrees that that's an option for me,   Because I don't know it's location and size.    I only know that if I can keep part of my thyroid that's what I want,      
    • Posted

I would ask him for a copy of the lab tests that show your antibodies are low and also any thyroid lab tests that were done on you.  I always get copies of any lab tests that are run on me.  When I was diagnosed with Graves, in addition to the antibody blood tests, I had a radioactive uptake scan that confirmed my diagnosis. 
    • Posted

Hi Traceysue.If your TSH is low that would confirm the diagnosis of hyper.It would be good if you could get your other results for T3 and T4.Ask if you can see the results of the scan that you had when they found the nodule and then you will be able to work out if you could have the lobe with the nodule removed. I certainly would not opt for RAI if you only have one nodule but be prepared for them to push this treatment.The whole of your thyroid would be destroyed and you would be left hypo and the symptoms of this are quite miserable.Hope all goes well on Wednesday,do let us know the outcome
    • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

Like I said above imaging today is really advanced, they can see just where it is and know exactly what lobe etc....also if you had an ultrasound done, in the USA you are allowed a copy of it on a CD and a report of the readings that is done by a trained doctor.

So ask and see if you can obtain any copies of that. Even if you have to pay for the report it may be worth reading what a trained ultrasound doctor or Radiologist says.

You need your thyroid so I agree do the surgery and believe me it has been done before and you will be better and the other half will compensate for the missing part.

Keep us posted,

Shelly

• Posted

I was also negative for graves or anything else. They do certain blood tests to check that. Sounds like you are like me and the overactive thyroid is cause only caused by the hot nodule :-).
    • Posted

I agree then. It does sound exactly like you.  I'm 52 btw.  And began feeling off over a year ago,  however the racing heart and can't sleep,.anxious feelings became worse about 6 months ago. I went to the ER in Nov.   

I lost maybe 6-8 lbs.   down to 112.   If it helps at all the endoc said " yes,..labs show hyper due to hot nodule but my numbers aren't  real bad.  

So IMO why push drastic measures right now?    I feel like I should at least TRY meds first and if those fail then I can move onto surgery.     When I research hot nodules it always lists 3 ways to treat and meds is one of them. Unless there's compression due to the nodule being large. I have no symptoms in my throat,...          I might nicely demand that I try meds first.  And add L carnitine and any others that Linda or others suggest are helpful.  I take mag, calcium, A&D and MSM already.     Any thoughts?     

• Posted

I have taken vitamin D from 1,000 to 5,000 IU/L.  Hyper patients are very deficient in this and L-Carnitine usually.  The research study suggested 3,000 to 4,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine daily along with meds.  I think your plan is good.
    • Posted

Hi 😀, I guess the doctors push other treatments because meds have their side effects and other treatments are going to need to be used anyway. I was put meds before my surgery. They do need to get numbers in range before surgery. I also wanted to stay on meds at the time but they caused a lot of side effects and a hot nodule shuts down the thyroid and releases thyroid hormone at what rate it likes. So it's hard to keep in range. You may have a different experience and may be able to stay on then longer 😀
    • Posted

Did the meds at least help your symptoms in the meantime Calissa?  Did your numbers ever go in range?    And also,.....was the one hot nodule the only nodule you had?   I have one hot nodule 2.3 cm and 2 other very tiny ones that are only seen on ultrasound and are not producing hormones. ( they're cold). Or non functioning,     So I don't know yet if I can get 1/2 my thyroid out.   My endoc said it'd be totally decided by the surgeon.   Thanks  
    • Posted

Hi😀, in my remaining half a thyroid I have a couple of cysts/ cold nodules I can remember which. But they weren't causing any problems. The meds helped my symptoms a little but I was so sick. All that really helped was time. They took to long to work out what was wrong with me by the time they did I was admitted to hospital because I could not breath properly, was extreamly weak, could not eat, skipped beats and fast. Losing a kg a day, was down to 44 kg at 5 foot 7, the meds did bring it into range but I did keep going a bit hypo. The medication did not agree with me either it had its own bunch of symptoms that I could not handle. Are you on meds yet?
    • Posted

Not yet.   I'm going to endoc again tomorrow and telling him that I want to try the medication first before any drastic measure such as surgery or RAI.  It might come to that idk,..... But I def want to try meds first or I'll never know if I don't try.   I'll also ask for copy's of my last labs.       My symptoms are like yours but not as extreme.     When I asked to start meds last month he said not yet and that was only because he's been pushing me to do the RAI and said it's best to not medicate if I'm going to be doing the radio iodine,   Which after enough reading others experiences with it I'm extremely against that form of treatment,   If I have to do anything more then medication I'll see a surgeon because nothing about RAI sounds good to be putting into my body. I CAN and will refuse!     Thanks for everyone's help.   Did you experience side effects on the meds before your surgery? 
    • Posted

Hi Linda,,my appt with endoc is tomorrow ,...my plan is to nicely insist that I try medication first before anything drastic.   I'll ask for my labs too,  quick question,....when researching L carnitine use in hyperthyroidism I keep seeing it's suggested dosage measured in g's.  Or grams??  Is 3,000 a day where you started?   I'm just making sure there's no error,  😁  thank you 
    • Posted

I'm just confused on how one converts 2 grain or grams into how much in milligrams.   Am I making any sense?   Lol.   Sorry!   
    • Posted

I did experience so many symptoms it was hard to tell what was the from the carbimazole. The thyroid symptoms got somewhat better after along time, 6 weeks or so, but surgery was 4 months after I was diagnosed and I was still quite sick.
    • Posted

Yes you are making sense.  1 gram equals 1,000 mg, 2 grams = 2,000 mg etc.  So Regular L-Carnitine is usually sold in Health food stores in 500 mg capsules.  The suggested dose for hyperthyroid patients is 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day.  That would be 6 to 8 capsules a day.  When I took it, I found out it is also sold as a liquid by prescription and I took my 3,000 mg as a prescribed liquid.  They gave me syringes to measure the liquid. Luckily I didn't have to pay for the prescription as it cost $300 for the doses I needed.  Currently I am taking one 500 mg capsule every other day on the off days when I am not taking the 2.5 mg of Methimazole.
    • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

1 grain = 60mgs.

1 gram = 1000mgs.

Grains are an old measurement form. 

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.