Hyper due to a hot nodule

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid after plenty of scans,bloodwork ,etc, Had my needle biopsy come clean as far as no cancer found, I have all the classic hyper symptoms,....tired yet wired!!  Anyway,my first thought after getting my biopsy results was ' great,,,I can go on meds and feel better soon'.   Wrong.   My referred Endoc. Either wants me to do RAI or surgery to remove 1/2 my thyroid.   He claims that if the dose of RAI is small enough to where it will target the hot nodule which is spitting out excess hormones causing me to be hyper,.....and that my chances of becoming hypo after RAI in this case are very small,    Everything I've read about RAI says otherwise,   Why can't I be treated with meds?   Just looking for opinions in hopes someone is familiar with hot nodule treatments,  I'm new to all this, and learning as I go,  I'd love any input from you all,  How many have sought 2nd opinions?ty for any help 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hope this is readable and if anyone can help me out I'm grateful.  First time lab reader here 😁 I'm lost.   Thanks!  
    • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

I am a nurse in the USA, and my name is Shelly. I have Hashimoto disease which is autoimmune.

Your TSH is very low on the scale, which means you are Hyperthyroid.  Low end means Hyper and high end means Hypo. They are opposite of each other.

Now, the TPOA antibodies are at 9 and should be close to 1 or 0.  this means you are high normal which could be an autoimmune problem like Graves disease is.

Do you have a family history of Thyroid problems?  It can skip a generation also. I found Hashimoto's in my family line.

The rest of your blood work is all good. So that is a help as that is normal. I still think that maybe once you have this nodule removed it will go back to normal.

Keep us posted,

Shelly

• Posted

Traceysue: 

One more thing: T3 was high which means you have too much of the useable hormone the body needs.  It is called Liothyronine, and too much is not good, so that nodule is making you over produce T3.  Too much can cause palpitations in your heart so while it is high, avoid any exercise so you do not increase demands on your heart.

Any questions, just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks so much Shelly!  I insisted on trying tapazol first before any surgery. Endoc is starting me on 5mgs 3x a day.  To control symptoms of racing heart,insomnia, arm weakness, internal jitters.    Does that dosing seem to fit well with my numbers as far as not over medicating or under medicating?  I specifically asked this endoc if any of my bloodwork indicated possible Graves' disease and he said no....my antibodys were normal as far as that.  ( smh).  
    • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

I have seen people on Tapazol 10mg dose but if it is too much at  (5mg  3x a day) you could cut back a bit.  Everyone is different and some need more or less.

Yes, I agree, try this first and it may settle down this way.  you always have the option to have surgery later. 

As to the TPOA antibodies you are high normal but given time and using Tapazol  maybe that will come down.   I guess you could say, high normal is okay, but it bears watching if you know what I mean.

They need to watch that and insist they check it again in a few months. I would like it to be a bit lower or near 1 instead of 9.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Everyone has a different normal. It says her normal for tpoa is 9 or less on the reference and she is 9 so still in range.
    • Posted

Thanks Calissa!   Will update once I've started my meds.   Gotta pick them up today at the pharmacy.    
    • Posted

Hello Calissa:

I said in my post "high normal" which means it is at the top range of normal and should be watched. I saw that ref. range also and the dot is marked which is to alert you that you are at the top of normal. 

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

No worries I just didn't want any confusion. Her normal is 9 and below that's what <9 means and she is at nine. positive antibodys usually have a way higher number. won't hurt to watch it though. thanks means="" and="" she="" is="" at="" nine.="" positive="" antibodys="" usually="" have="" a="" way="" higher="" number.="" won't="" hurt="" to="" watch="" it="" though.="">
  • Posted

I do think that dose is too high based on your levels.  Shelly what do you think?
    • Posted

Just thanking you both for all your help 😊 it means a great deal to me. TY .   Also want to ask if you think I should start right away with the l carnitine or do you think the acetyl l carnitine is better?  Mgs dose please too.  I'll be picking up my script tomorrow.   
    • Posted

Hello Linda:

Most people are on 10mg.  However depending on symptoms it could go as high as 15mg.  The range is between 5mg to 15mg.

If it feels as too much Traceysue could lower it to 10mg.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Regular L-Carnitine is better.  Acetyl-L-Carnitine will send you very hypo very quickly.  I would avoid it in your case.  The dose of Regular L-Carntiine recommended by the research study done on it is 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day.  I would start on 1,500 mg (perhaps split the dose and take one 500 mg capsule with your Methimazole) 3 times a day.  See how you feel on that.  If okay, then you can increase it to two 500 mg capsules three times a day for a total dose of 3,000 mg per day. 

• Posted

Thank you Shelly and Linda ......I'll do exactly that.  And see how it goes.  New bloodwork in 4-5 weeks,   Huge thanks!  
    • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

You are welcome, and you ask any and all questions you have.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.