Hypertension challenges?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, 

I'm a Product Design student at the University of Dundee, Scotland.

I'm currently working on my final year project. My aims are to develop a product which helps patients better manage their hypertension.

To make sure I tackle the most significant issues facing hypertension management I'd love to gain insight from those dealing with the condition day-to-day.

So my question is:

What do you think are the toughest challenges facing patients in terms of managing their condition?

Thank you all for your time.

(Please feel free to get in contact if you have any questions!)

Thank you for you help.

Regards

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well I find accepting the fact that you have high blood pressure the hardset challenge and the fact that you have to take pills for life.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Do you find that there's enough support available for yourself and other patients? and if so what kind of support is there? eg. support groups, discussion forums like this one, relatives, etc.

• Posted

I've had labile hypertension for fourteen years that has never been controlled so can speak with some experience of treatment both in Scotland and England. 

It's not support that we need but experts in the treatment field as most patients are unhappy with the drugs they are prescribed and many stop taking them. This group is not typical as we are here seeking and trying to spread information. My GP says that overall 40% of drugs prescribed are not taken.

GP's are not experts and although Hypertension is widespread among their patients they can only devote a small part of their time to it. Very few patients ever get investigated to find if there is an underlying cause.

Cardiologists treat heart disease not early hypertension that might lead to it. Cardiology patients in my experience seldom see the consultant but an ever changing series of registrars or assistants who keep popping out to ask for advice from someone above.

Look for hypertension referral centres, they are very thin on the ground.

The one I go to is the only one in Sussex (for 1.6 million people) and only has four half day sessions a week.

• Posted

Derek76, would you say that a possible solution would be better communication between patients and professionals? Perhaps more a direct/personal communication system?
    • Posted

We need better educated Consultants and registrars.

This year when taking Warfarin an assistant registrar also wanted me to take Amiodarone. My INR practically doubled over the next week. If prescribed Amiodarone the warfarin dosage should be reduced. American leaflets with drugs spell this out. British ones dont and the wording in BNF is not very clear on the point

When I stopped Warfarin due to side effects two registrars said that they would ask my GP to prescribe one of the three new anticoagulants. I told the first one that they are contra indicated for patients with artificial heart valves. He looked up BNF and said that two were but the third one was OK. At that point his student came in and told him that one was also contraindicated.

At my last consultation another wanted to prescribe the new anti-coagulants. I told him, contraindicated... Rubbish, Who told you that he asked. He then went to ask the senior consultant and came back saying that The Boss says that they are OK.

I wrote to the three manufacturers of the drugs and each said that their product was contra indicated for patients with mechanical or tissue heart valves.

What chance does a non-questioning patient have?

• Posted

The toughest challenge for me is being sensitive to the BP medications and having to cope with the various side effects - in other words feeling well before taking the pills and feeling unwell taking them!
  • Posted

What sort of product do you have in mind? What year of your course are you in?

I had a conversation once with a product design student. I asked him what he would be able to design when he graduated. Anything, he said.

Aeroplane or car I asked. Yes, he said. I asked what he knew about engineereing and aerodynamics. Nothing he said, I don't need to. What do you know about the human body?

The one I spoke to said that he had not designed anything yet as the first year of the course was all theory.  

• Posted

Hi Derek

I'm in my 4th year of study, working on my honour project. I have a particular interest in wearable technology and it's application in the medical field, especially with the current boom in self-monitoring (fitness apps, personal health devices etc.)

At the moment I have some initial concepts, but I don't want to think about them too much or I'll limit myself.

Initially I'd like to gain some understanding of where I can apply my design skills to tackle a major issue for hypertension patients. So any insight into the day-to-day life of an individual with hypertension will be extremely beneficial.

All the best,

• Posted

no I don.t think there is enough help no one can answer the questions and I love this forum we try to help each other awwww
  • Posted

Hi. I am quite obsessive with taking my bp readings to see how different life style changes affects my bp. This involves strapping a cuff around my upper arm, ensuring this area of my arm is supported and level with my heart. Then I have to ensure monitor is stable, tube inserted properly and press start.

It would be great if you could develop an app or a device that would be totally portable and small so that I could take bp anywhere and possibly without the need for a cuff!

That should keep you busy!!!

• Posted

You can have a probe inserted into your heart and broadcasting your ever changing BP.
    • Posted

Crikey Derek. Wasn't aware of the probe idea. Think I will pass on that though despite my obsession with readings!!
    • Posted

I've started taking my blood pressure before and after meeting up with various family members and friends.  You are not the only obsessive, Fisherman!
    • Posted

Which family member puts your BP up the most your MIL or your nephew's new girl friend?
    • Posted

Hi Fisherman,

Thank you for your response!

I've actually been looking into embedding the technology in your HBPM into clothing! Do you find that the need to take your BP readings can sometimes prevent you from doing things you want to do throughout the day? In other words, does it have a tendency to break up your day?

regards,

• Posted

Hi. I am reading this thread with interest. I think it fair to say that all of us suffering from hypertension are frustrated with, in many cases, the lack of understanding from the medical profession about our dislike of taking drugs that sometimes have little or no effect. That is why embarked on my personal "crusade" to try and sort out my high blood pressure. I AM obsessive about my readings as I have no idea what is good for me and what isn't. For example I now know that walking is good for me as I take a reading before and after. But what about foods? I can hardly get out a monitor in a restaurant or pub! So a discreet way of measuring bp would be great. The clothing idea sounds very inventive.

I have to say though that this forum has probably helped me more than anything since my diagnosis!

• Posted

Nip out to the toilet to take your BP or have your cuff round your arm with the end pohing out of your shirt and then attach the monitor. If it beeps people will think it is a new ring tone:-)
    • Posted

Great idea Derek. My wife and me think a beeping monitor sound would make a great ring tone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.