Hypertension challenges?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, 

I'm a Product Design student at the University of Dundee, Scotland.

I'm currently working on my final year project. My aims are to develop a product which helps patients better manage their hypertension.

To make sure I tackle the most significant issues facing hypertension management I'd love to gain insight from those dealing with the condition day-to-day.

So my question is:

What do you think are the toughest challenges facing patients in terms of managing their condition?

Thank you all for your time.

(Please feel free to get in contact if you have any questions!)

Thank you for you help.

Regards

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The hardest thing is not taking the medication, but the horrible side effects which can totally wreck your life. Still pretty nasty to be told you have to go on medication for life, but also to have to try the remedies for at leat three weeks before the full range of side effects show themselves. Then another two weeks wait to see the doctor if you are lucky!

Very few patients find the right medication first time as a glance through this site will show you.

• Posted

I thought that I had been on every family of hypertension drugs but the consultant at the hypertension centre said that there are still more to try.

A few years ago I answered an advert for volunteers to test a new drug. I lost interest when they said I needed to stop all meds for three months before going on it. 

• Posted

I think you've chosen a tricky subject.  I was functioning totally normally with hypertension when I didn't know I had it.  Problems now relate to side effects of medication and the lack of individuality in treatment.  You are hypertensive. Take tablets 1 and 2 - is the standard medical response.  Two weeks later.  Aha. You are still hypertensiveLet's double doses 1 and 2 and see how you get on.

But doc.  I'm sleeping 14 hours a day on the original doses and I walk like a snail.

Your body will adjust in due course, says the doc.  Meantime have a restful few months.  Most of my patients suffer from insomnia.  Count your blessings.

Hypertension is not like, for example, arthritis of the hands for which you could invent a green-fingered robot to do the gardening.  Fisherman's suggestion of a simpler and effective method of monitoring blood pressure could be helpful.  For myself, I would like to see more medical research into the causes of hypertension and a more imaginative way of treating the symptoms. Ear transplants for the doctors who do not hear what their patients are saying?  An elderly woman of my acquaintance recently collapsed and is in hospital with low blood pressure - a result of taking blood pressure tablets for years and not being properly monitored.  Is that an issue you could address?  No idea how. Sorry, Mjhilley. Have run out of ideas but good luck with your project!

• Posted

Much easier and more profitable to invent a new Coke bottle
    • Posted

Hi Alexandra123,

Thank you very much for your input.

It's entirely possible to be properly monitored! Currently there are a vast amount of sensors that are available which monitor body vitals, unfortunately the majority of companies that produce product with such technology seem to focus on just the one source of data.

I really like your desire for a more imaginative method for treatment. I realise there's not much leeway when it comes to treating patients with chronic conditions, but I feel like there's a desperate need for design thinking in these very 'by-the-book' industries. By putting the user or patients experience and needs in the foreground it will encourage patients to engage and therefore respond better to treatment.

Just my opinion!

Thank you again!

• Posted

Read your reply to mjhilley with interest as, like you, I had no idea I was suffering with hypertension until relatively recently. Due to my father dying of a massive stroke, following several mini strokes, my GP dished out the ramapril and stations to me as I was in danger of a similar fate due not only my high bp but also genetics.

I find it all very frustrating but am determined to find out how I can lower my bp permanently without drugs or minimal drugs.

• Posted

Can medication change your genetic inheritance
    • Posted

Most medication acts on a protien level - so they don't alter your DNA. There are some medical treatments which can affect your DNA - but these treatments are typically for combatting cancer, for example chemotherapy, and are used to kill certain cells but can sometime damage DNA within healthy cells.

Also, if my high school biology memory serves me right, there are types of medication that affect some genes and how they turn 'on' and 'off'.

• Posted

Yes indeed. I would like to do likewise so very interested in all you have to say.  The one thing that bothers me is the following.  I was leading a very healthy lifestyle. Regular exercise. Wasn't on any medication. Don't drink or smoke. Mediterranean diet. Not overweight. No history of heart disease in the family  and ...I suddenly had a heart attack .  The doctors did say that I recovered quickly because I was so fit but even so ......!!!  Don't wish to put a downer on your research and admire all your efforts at making lifestyle changes  but my thought processes are a bit as follows.  I did it all correctly then to get ill. Maybe I should now take up a few bad habits.  Only joking, Fisherman but you know what I mean.Can I really be bothered to walk in the pouring rain like I used to do? !  You must keep at it and report back. 
    • Posted

Indeed and very interesting.  I would like to thank you for the work you are doing and taking an interest in the subject of hypertension. What with the millions of people who know they are suffering from hypertension  to  the millions of others who wander around undiagnosed - it's a pretty big topic and one which merits far more attention than it gets.  I guess that, despite all our complaints, we on this forum are the lucky ones in that we are still alive and kicking.  Plenty of our tribe aren't.  All your input, despite flippancy certainly on my part, is acknowledged and much appreciated. 
    • Posted

Good point and I guess the answer is no or "limited". I think the drugs are handed out as a bit of a knee jerk reaction so the GP's feel they are doing something. My grandfather also died of a heart attack so genetically the cards are stacked against me. But as a mate of mine once said " well we've all got to die of something". Not sure whether it was meant to cheer me or not!!!
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. You read about these people who live to a ripe old age and when asked about their secret to a long life they say drinking, smoking and eating chips!!!! Ha ha. They are the exceptions though which is why they are in the news! How awful for you though, following all the sound advise and still suffering a heart attack. Was it genetic do you think or maybe stress? I am still managing to keep my bp levels down but had a bad yesterday due I think to my weight loss, I felt unwell all day, lightheaded and a bit nauseous. My wife reckons its down to this diet I am on. The only way I can keep to this lower weight is by starving myself.....and going without beer!! What's this Mediterranean diet about? Sounds good.
    • Posted

No not genetic nor stress I don't think.  I've come to the conclusion that it was due to undiagnosed  - yes you've guessed - hypertension.  Prior to all of this maybe I went to my GP once a year if that and certainly didn't have my blood pressure taken more often than that.  It was always okish so didn't give it much thought.

They call it a Mediterranean diet but it's probably also called other things. Not dissimilar to the low GI diet.  Lots of fruit and veg. Lots of oily fish.  A bit of poultry.  Little or no red meat.  Grains, nuts etc  Herbs rather than salt. Extra virgin olive oil rather than butter.  I tend to eat quinoa rather than rice.  The occasional small glass of red wine etc etc.  I think there is a particular Cabernet Sauvignon they say is good for the heart.

Fisherman.  Sounds to me like you are doing really well with the exercise and all the rest.  What are you eating?  Your wife could be right.  If you have to starve to keep your existing weight, I would think that your existing weight is too low.  When did your health problems first arise?

My heart attack was in May. Was only in hospital for 2 days and, when I came out, a friend of mine who is a doctor but not a cardiologist told me that I've got take it easy.  This is a new chapter of my life etc.  Very gentle strolls to the end of the road and back.  Don't go up and down stairs too often etc etc.  I was scared to move!  Gradually of course my confidence reappeared and I started to do more.  I think somehow we have to reach a happy balance but it takes time to achieve.  Think about it.  Not suggesting you live on hamburgers and chips followed by spotted dick - but, from what I recall, you weren't overweight at the outset.  Keep walking.  Eat healthily and maybe a small glass of Cabernet whatever from time to time which is probably better than beer. That's my view anyway.  What does the forum gang think?

One other thing - as much as we don't like medication, I do think it's needed for a lot of hypertensives, if that's a word. I say I have no heart history in my family but certainly my father suffered from hypertension.  Despite a healthy lifestyle, I'm suffering from hypertension so I guess I've come to terms with taking a medium dose of Ramipril.  It's the Bisoprolol I'd like to give up but that's another story.   Your mate is correct that we all have to die of something - but not until we are 102.  Actually I knew a woman who died at 102, having had 3 heart attacks decades before.  Anyway - balance is my word of the day. Hope you enjoy today's walk.

• Posted

Are you in the UK? They normally send to to cardio rehab classes after a heart attack. Were you just treated by drugs?
    • Posted

Yes in London.  I attended cardio rehab - once a week for 6 weeks.  It was a very good service, the NHS at its best - an hour in the gym followed by a lecture.  I had an angiogram.  There was talk of a stent but I needed it in an awkward place so they decided to treat me by drugs alone - all preventative.   Aspirin, clopidogrel, ramipril, bisoprolol and a statin. They always prescribe a statin after a heart attack whether or not you have high cholesterol.  Mine isn't high.  So far they've reduced the statin and bisoprolol by half and so far so good.  Can stop taking clopidogrel after a year.  My secret plan is to be only taking 3 tabs by April. Want to ditch the bisoprolol by then but who knows.  Was very impressed by the treatment I received.  Was lucky not to need surgical intervention.  They are pleased with my current heart function - so I'm mainly obeying orders which is not my normal way!

Have a good day Derek. 

• Posted

"Have a good day Derek"

I hope so I'm going to Brighton Races.

Will reply to rest later. 

• Posted

Only for six weeks. The one I went to continued in stages over a long period. I actually stopped after about eight weeks as joint pain from Warfarin stopped me.

Initially I had complained that the exercises were not strenuous enough.

Ours were only an hour. Thirty minutes exercise and a thirty minute lecture blaming the participants lifestyle, smoking and eating habits that had brought us there. I objected as my faulty heart valve was not of my own making. Nearly all the group were female. Most had not smoked or had bad diets but nearly all had never walked or exercised. As a confirmed non driver I always say that the car has a lot to answer for.

• Posted

We were offered another 8 weeks at a gym near the hospital but I declined as thought I'd go back to walking.  Interesting.  I was the only female in my group. They'd mainly had heart surgery.  Too true re the car.  I'm trying not to use mine and clock up the steps on my pedometer. Hope you enjoyed the races.
    • Posted

Most had just had stents fitted and I was surprised that they were there. I had thought it was for people who had major surgery.

None of the rehab was as bad as when two physios hauled me out of bed on the second day after surgery and walked me along a long corridor. A minutes rest then up a flight of stairs with a seat on the first landing before going up another flight. Another rest then all the way back to the ward. I was gasping for breath and covered in sweat.

How do you feel they asked. I replied that it says in the rehab book that when you can climb two flights of stairs you are fit enough to have sex... Can we put that off until tomorrow:-)

• Posted

Did you beat the bookies at Brighton Races Derek or did your bp go thru the roof?!!!!
    • Posted

I started off with the 10/1 winner and lived on that for the afternoon.

My BP in the morning was 176/84 at night time it was 114/59 and again I had not taken my Losartan in the morning.

I once had a very erratic heart beat all weekend. On the Monday I was undecided about going to the doctor, staying home or goingt to the races.

I went to the races and backed two outsiders in the first race. In a desperate finish they were first and second and I also had the massive exacta. I actually felt my heart rate race even more and then go back into rhythm.

Actually a day at the races is very good exercise. I used to say that a day at the races is harder than a day at work. There is a lot of walking involved and high steps in the Grandstand to climb.

• Posted

Sounds like a great day. I have only ever been to one race meeting in my life, at Ascot. Great day from what I remember.... the bars are open a long time aren't they?!!
    • Posted

I'm a regular and would go to even more with a better train service. I used to be two stations away from Sandown and Kempton and not very far from Epsom.
    • Posted

So that's where we're all going wrong.  We don't go to the races often enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.